OB15 coming together in Central Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OB15 coming together in Central Texas

Post by JohnC »

Hey Adam,
Is your trailer ready yet?
John

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

boat looks great. Interesting rubrail and I like the console too. Very similar set up to my FS17

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

JohnC,

The custom built trailer is not ready yet. Some problem with the galvanizer having to clean the galvanizing pits, so it is taking more time the originally quoted. The person I am buying the trailer from has loaned me one so that I can get the boat inspected and legal while waiting for my trailer to get finished.

Shine,

Thx for the comments. I am a bit worried about the rubrail, but it should be ok as long as I don't crash into anything too hard. You FS17 build did influence the design.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

wadeg wrote: I am a bit worried about the rubrail, but it should be ok as long as I don't crash into anything too hard.
Yeah, I think the lip will break relatively easy. You could glue up a small block every 10" or so between the lip and the hull. That would stiffen it up quite a bit and it would not show

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

Yep, that is the plan and can will be added soon. The glass over the edge of the deck and down the face of the rub rail helps also. Before mounting the flexible rub rail to this, I hit it pretty hard with a rubber mallet all of the way around to make sure it was solid, but better to be safe then sorry, so the stiffening pieces will be added. Thx for the input Shine.

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

Maaaate, whats going on!!!!! your'e holding out on us........ :(

I checked your photo album and saw that you have finished and launched the boat.......no report yet :o 8O

No mate, in all seriousness, it looks fantastic, she looks like she rides nice and high in the water.

Cracking job mate, congratulations. Give us some feedback on the performance when you get a chance.

Mick

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

I was waiting till I got my grab bar and all of the electronics mounted before posting the latest results. I did launch her briefly, but this was just a quick water test. I can't get performance numbers before I put a little time on the motor (about 30 minutes run time, so I can't run full throttle yet). My being out of town for the holidays, I won't be able to put the grab bar on and post the performance numbers before the weekend of Dec 7th or so. I will post then. I am just as anxious as you are to see how she does.

Adam

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

Adam,

I knew there would be a good reason hehehehehe. I could see a hump under the cover, I thought that may have been the grab bar.

Mate, like I said looks great, like you I ca't wait to see how she goes for you.

Good luck.

Mick

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

Well, no new pictures (forgot the camera), but I do have some initial performance numbers and I got her dirty this weekend. The weekend weather was not very good, but I had to get the boat in the water anyway.

I currently have a 10.5x13 stainless cupped prop and get a top speed of 28mph fully loaded with two 200lb guys, full gas, 8 to 10 gallons of water in the bait well plus 50 to 60 lbs of gear. I don't know what my RPM's are as this is a tiller motor. To solve the RPM issue, I have purchased one of these, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 744_524744. Anyone have any experience with them? Pretty simple device as it just uses induction to measure the number of times the spark plug fired.

I am surprised at how slow I can cruise and still fell like she is fully on plane. It is comfortable cruising as low as 16mph, but I like to keep it around 20. I also believe the motor is mounted about 1" to 1.5" too low judging from how much of the motor leg is still in the water while on plane (anti cavitation plate and the plate above it are both submerged). I will lift the motor 1 inch and take her out again this weekend if the weather permits. If my camera decides to work right, I will get some new pictures too.

-WadeG

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Adam,

I'm glad you have had the boat out and dirty, how is it going, are you happy with it. Do you have any updated piccies/etc.

I don't mean to hijack, so I hope you don't mind me asking this, a 15' Key West centre console has come up down here on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Key-West-center- ... 2304d94389. The boat was imported by a bloke in Sydney who is a yacht importer.

Being an American import I know nothing about them and have not been able to find any reviews as such on the net. I found their website but it doesn't tell much. I posted the question on another forum I frequent but I havn't had many replies. Do you know any thing about these boats at all, good or bad, handling etc, it appears to be very similar to the OB15 and if I got it at the right price it could be a viable option for me.

If you don't mind me asking, how much has your hull cost completed, not including trailer and motor.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Mick.