Optimist Club Racer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Optimist Club Racer

Post by tech_support »

Our local optimist club had a nice write up in the most recent copy WoodenBoat magazine. :!: :)

Also, here is a video of the opti kits posted at youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwVlLMeB ... re=feedbul

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

shine wrote:Our local optimist club had a nice write up in the most recent copy WoodenBoat magazine. :!: :)

Also, here is a video of the opti kits posted at youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwVlLMeB ... re=feedbul
Very nice! Very well done!

And, by the way.... I LOVE the Bateau sticker at the end of the slide show! 8)

bedege
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bedege »

Hi there
Very interesting thread that gives a lot of details about building the Opti Club Racer.
I've recently started my own Opti and am wondering about the hole in the mast thwart: what diameter should I bore that hole to?
There's no mention of that dimension in the build guide. :doh:
Thanks for your help :D

bedege

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

We do not cut that hole because some people will use a plastic liner for the hole, or use a different diameter mast, so we just mark the center with dimple

bedege
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bedege »

shine wrote:We do not cut that hole because some people will use a plastic liner for the hole, or use a different diameter mast, so we just mark the center with dimple
Understand. But,it sounds like I'd better cut that large hole now, before I start my first layer of thin epoxy, right? So, what typical diameter should I use. I looked the optiparts web site, and the plastic liner they offer is 57mm/1.25in in diameter. Is it the dimension I should use?
Any past experience welcome :wink: Thanks
bedege

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I know nothing about optis and very little about sailboats, however...

I would not cut ANY hole in a boat of mine withough having the part that goes through it in my hand first. It's no big deal to cut and epoxy the hole after the hull is built and you'd hate to build it and then get your mast only to find out that the mast does not fit the hole you cut for it :cry:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

If you going to use the plastic liner, then I would get its OD and cut a hole 1/8" bigger. That give 1/16" on each side for epoxy buildup and some play, depending on its size and how far from the hole the screw holes are, you may even drill a 1/4" bigger.

Of course the safe bet it to wait until you have the piece of hardware in your hand. :)

bedege
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bedege »

Hi there
Making progress on the built of my Optimist Kit :D
I have a question regarding the gunwale assembly. Looking at the great instruction guide from YSF (http://latitude2739.com/club-racer.pdf), it is mentioned that "knees" are used fore and aft to support the gunwale cap.
How are those created? Should I use left over plywood from the kit and create those part "by hand"? In what order would you advise to assemble the different parts: inside hull strake, doublers, knees, and 2nd inside strake?
Thanks for your support!
bedege

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

those parts are not needed, they are parts the local group wanted. It does make a nice finish, but they are not needed and just add more work. You can alway make them from scrap 12mm if you like.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Oh, and I agree with above, if your going to use the little plastic insert for the mast partner then I would wait until you get the part. Make the hole big enough to account for a couple coats of epoxy.