FS17- Extended sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17- Extended sheer

Post by Bluefish2 »

There are a couple of new pictures in the gallery. The beautiful weather is going to hold long enough for me to glass the hull. Then it is time to work on the center console in the basement.
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

More Progress! Still warm enough for epoxy and glass so that's what happened today. Jim and I glassed the entire outside of the hull It is taking some time for the epoxy to dry but the heater under the boat helps to push that along. If i have time tomorrow I will glass the extended side together and mount them. Weather is about to change so this may be it until spring.
I will try to get pictures of the glassed hull tomorrow.
Mark

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

BF2,

here is a link to your gallery.

you can put it in your signature so everyone can see your pics :wink:

:oops: :oops: see link below :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Doc_Dyer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Ran into a problem when I went to check the boat. All along the chine edge the glass has air pockets. Since it is late in the season I am going to have to wait until spring to grind out and the air pockets and retape those areas. I guess I can do some grinding now and save a bit of time in the spring.
Should be able to at least join the extended sides before weather shuts me down.
BF2

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Hey Bluefish...Great to see you got to take advantage of that window of nice weather! Sorry to hear about those air pockets. Sounds like you might not have rounded off the sides quite enough?? Another guy building a FS17 (Daniel) had the same issue. He did as you said...grinded it down and retaped it.

I went out into the garage last night and did a little, think I'm about to wrap it up too. It's just too cold out there! I'll do some little projects over the winter and get back to it this spring!

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Lower,
Half way through November and still working. Part of the problem was that I did not put the epoxy and glass on at the same time. Did the seams and waited for it to dry because I had some wide gaps that did not stay filled. Also had some tape that was bunched. The grinder is your friend remember. I still have a lot of work and what this will take to correct is minor. May do some grinding weather permitting but that's it until spring. Maybe the center console and extension for sides but nothing major from here on.
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

More pictures in the gallery, nothing special and will add more later when the rain stops. I checked for flatness of the bottom and it looks okay. fairing should take care of most of the minor deformities. All I can do between now and spring is grind and sand. every thing looks good as far as the bonding of the glass to hull with the exception of of one chine that bubbled. Resin/glass ratio is about perfect. No floating glass as in previous boats.
I think my friend did a great job on the epoxy and glass for a first timer.
BF2

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Here is the link for the gallery. HOpe it works since I just cut and paste it.
I have decided to do a preliminary mounting of side extensions. this will give me something to think about over the winter on how to proceed afterward. I may also be do some grinding on the bottom and corners. http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=946

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

I have added a few more picture to the gallery. They show the extension added on. Extension is in trial fit installation for an idea of what thy will look like. See previous post for the link.
BF2