Page 1 of 1

FS17- Extended sheer

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:04 pm
by Bluefish2
I cant believe the weather, 70 degrees and I am still working on the boar!
I finally have the problem of the sides and bow not meeting correctly solved with help from a friend and a drafted nephew.
I am down to the verry tip where I am still having trouble with tension breaking tie wraps. Bailing wire and a twisting tool should solve that issue. I figure three days and the seems should be glassed. If the weather holds out that long.
BF2

Re: FS17- Extended sheer

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 pm
by Bowmovement
How much are you extending the sheer :?: Do you have a build thread going :?: If not you should, with pictures :D I am strongly considering the FS17. Have had the OD18 plans for a while but am reconsidering. The wet ride everyone talks about doesnt excite me. Our weather may be warm out here in So Cal but the water is freezing :!:

Matt

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 am
by Bluefish2
Hello Bowmovement,
I do actually have a build thread somewhere but since I have not posted in some time I am starting a new thread. There is a picture gallery with a few pictures but other people have built this boat and put up very detailed build links. My work tends to be work boat finish.
The sheer will be 3" higher than designed. I have a nephew who is handycapped so I felt the slightly higher sheer line would be good for him.
The OD 16-18's are nice boats. I have the OD16 and the biggest problem for me is the pounding not a wet ride. Flat bottom boats POUND in any amount of rough water. They are, however, stable for fishing.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am
by Bowmovement
The pounding is not so much an issue for me, but the SWMBO will not like it too much. Got to keep her happy :D

The more she enjoys the ride, the more I get to use the boat :D

Matt

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:35 pm
by TomW
Matt see Steve292 raised sheer FS17. He raised his about 7". He has pictures here in the builders section. it is a georgous green boat over in England.

Tom

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:03 pm
by Bowmovement
TomW wrote:Matt see Steve292 raised sheer FS17. He raised his about 7". He has pictures here in the builders section. it is a georgous green boat over in England.

Tom
Tom, I have read through the whole thread. Great looking boat.

Matt

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:39 pm
by Bluefish2
A bit more progress. I am about ready to tab the sides in place As long as I have two more days in the fifties I should be able to glass the seams. Weather is about to get nasty.
BF2

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 pm
by Bluefish2
Initial epoxy tabbing is done. My fishing buddy, Jim, came over and helped out. I will try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Oh, I remembered why i swore i would never build another boat- Last night I sat down and realized that i had just sunk a 1/4" long splinter into my butt. OUCH! Several more in different parts today. Nothing note worthy though. To late to stop now. :lol:
BF2

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 pm
by Bluefish2
Weather is unbelievably nice! Warm, sunny, upper 50's, and clear blue sky! I am making unexpected progress on the FS!7 The seams are now done and if the weather holds for two more days I will have the bottom glassed. Indian summer: I hope this does not mean a Yankee winter.
BF2

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 pm
by Bluefish2
I should also note my fishing buddy Jim is the next big reason for the progress.
BF2

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:32 am
by Bluefish2
There are a couple of new pictures in the gallery. The beautiful weather is going to hold long enough for me to glass the hull. Then it is time to work on the center console in the basement.
BF2

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:45 pm
by Bluefish2
More Progress! Still warm enough for epoxy and glass so that's what happened today. Jim and I glassed the entire outside of the hull It is taking some time for the epoxy to dry but the heater under the boat helps to push that along. If i have time tomorrow I will glass the extended side together and mount them. Weather is about to change so this may be it until spring.
I will try to get pictures of the glassed hull tomorrow.
Mark

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 pm
by Doc_Dyer
BF2,

here is a link to your gallery.

you can put it in your signature so everyone can see your pics :wink:

:oops: :oops: see link below :oops: :oops:

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:58 pm
by D2Maine
nm

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:03 pm
by Bluefish2
Ran into a problem when I went to check the boat. All along the chine edge the glass has air pockets. Since it is late in the season I am going to have to wait until spring to grind out and the air pockets and retape those areas. I guess I can do some grinding now and save a bit of time in the spring.
Should be able to at least join the extended sides before weather shuts me down.
BF2

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm
by Lower
Hey Bluefish...Great to see you got to take advantage of that window of nice weather! Sorry to hear about those air pockets. Sounds like you might not have rounded off the sides quite enough?? Another guy building a FS17 (Daniel) had the same issue. He did as you said...grinded it down and retaped it.

I went out into the garage last night and did a little, think I'm about to wrap it up too. It's just too cold out there! I'll do some little projects over the winter and get back to it this spring!

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:43 pm
by Bluefish2
Lower,
Half way through November and still working. Part of the problem was that I did not put the epoxy and glass on at the same time. Did the seams and waited for it to dry because I had some wide gaps that did not stay filled. Also had some tape that was bunched. The grinder is your friend remember. I still have a lot of work and what this will take to correct is minor. May do some grinding weather permitting but that's it until spring. Maybe the center console and extension for sides but nothing major from here on.
BF2

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:27 am
by Bluefish2
More pictures in the gallery, nothing special and will add more later when the rain stops. I checked for flatness of the bottom and it looks okay. fairing should take care of most of the minor deformities. All I can do between now and spring is grind and sand. every thing looks good as far as the bonding of the glass to hull with the exception of of one chine that bubbled. Resin/glass ratio is about perfect. No floating glass as in previous boats.
I think my friend did a great job on the epoxy and glass for a first timer.
BF2

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 am
by Bluefish2
Here is the link for the gallery. HOpe it works since I just cut and paste it.
I have decided to do a preliminary mounting of side extensions. this will give me something to think about over the winter on how to proceed afterward. I may also be do some grinding on the bottom and corners. http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=946

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:03 pm
by Bluefish2
I have added a few more picture to the gallery. They show the extension added on. Extension is in trial fit installation for an idea of what thy will look like. See previous post for the link.
BF2

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm
by Bowmovement
Looks good!!

Matt

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks Matt, the season is officially ended here. It is time to cover the boat and do some indoor stuff, prepare for the next boat.
Mark

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:29 am
by Bluefish2
Todays topic is the center console. I have the console cut out and dry fit. I am not sure it is the right height. How high are the consoles taller members of the board building? More important may be the wheel height. I am 6'4" and most of the people using the boat will also be tall, son 6'8", nephew 6'6" and a friend who is 5'8" but he is the exception.
I will post a couple of pics in the gallery later.
BF2

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:51 am
by TomW
BF2 I'm 6'3" and I'm going to make my console for the steering wheel and controls 32" high with a more upward slant for the wheel than for the controls. A sort of two tiered console. Plus then room for the instruments and switches in a protected area so that the overall height is 42" This looks good drawn into the C17 don't know about the FS extended sheer.

Tom

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:01 am
by Bluefish2
Thanks Tom,
That sounds like a good starting point at least. Design is in flux until I see the interior dry fit.
Only four more months 'til SPRING!!
BF2

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 am
by Steven
Bluefish2 wrote:Thanks Tom,
That sounds like a good starting point at least. Design is in flux until I see the interior dry fit.
Only four more months 'til SPRING!!
BF2

40 ish is about right. I'm 6'3". I went to BassProshops with a tape measure and that was a good height.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks Steve, Tom
I guess the console will increase in height.
Some progress on the console. I have glued the console together and done the internal seams fillet. No one has noticed the use of epoxy yet so I will keep plugging along. Pictures when I have enough done to warrant them.
BF2

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:11 pm
by Bluefish2
Lately I have been working on the console. Cut area for a rear access door. Then looking and thinking ( always dangerous) I decided to add a front access panel to try and make wiring and component mounting a bit easier. Is there any reason that I should not do this?
Thanks,
BF2

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:27 pm
by Bluefish2

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:38 pm
by Bluefish2
[img]P1010496.JPG[/img]
test

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm
by Bluefish2

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:20 pm
by Bluefish2
Could someone point out what I am doing wrong on the pictures? Please
BF2

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm
by chrisobee

Code: Select all

[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/18903/normal_P1010496.JPG[/img]

Right click on your full size picture and select properites. Copy the URL. insert the full URL inside of the pair of image tags. Images always end in .jpg or .gif and contains no spaces.

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:29 pm
by Bluefish2
Does having an apple pc make a difference?

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:26 pm
by Bowmovement
Bluefish2 wrote:Does having an apple pc make a difference?

No, I use a Mac and post pics just fine. Open the pic you want then ctrl+click. Go to properties. Copy location. Then Paste in between the Img tags.

Matt

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:57 pm
by ks8
Beginning with Tiger 10.4 (maybe even Panther 10.3), if you ctrl-click on the full size image in the gallery, you will have a popup contextual menu with one of the choices being...

Copy Image Location

unless Leopard 10.6 changed that, you don't need to go to *properties* on that popup menu. Just select...

Copy Image Location

on the popup menu, and it will put the proper address on your *clipboard*. But you really won't have the screen confirm to you that it did anything. If you ctrl-clicked in the picture and selected Copy Image Location, the address will be on that *mysterious clipboard* somewhere in the computer. It stays on the clipboard until you put something else on it with another copy command (good enough explanation for now), so if you don't do any additional *copy* commands after that Copy Image Location, that address will still be on there and allow you to paste it into your posting text.

So, next, in your thread post, put your cursor where you want the picture to display.

Then click the Img box over the post entry area, which will insert the img commands in your text at that position. That puts the two img commands right where you had put the cursor.

Next, make sure your cursor is in between the ] and the [ of the two img commands, right between them. If it isn't, click right between them to get it there (some versions of browsers put the cursor after the two commands while other versions put it in between them properly).

Now for the paste... go to your Edit menu at the top of the screen and select Paste, which will put the address (that you put on the clipboard earlier) in between the commands at the current cursor position, where it belongs.

With that address now successfully between the img commands, and before you type anything else, click your cursor down on the next line, so you that when you continue typing text after the picture, you don't accidentally corrupt the proper address inside those commands.

You should then be good to go. :D

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am
by Bluefish2
If at first you don't succeed.....

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:14 pm
by Bluefish2
Here is the front side veiw of the console. Right now it is 35"H x 24"w x 16" deep. I am going to riase the overall height by 6" during installation. At some point i will add a shelf inside and place a top with slight tilt. I can play with this all winter. 8" inches of snow just fell :cry: :cry:
BF2

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 am
by Bluefish2
Thanks Bowmovement and KS,
I love my Apple just have not managed to learn all the quirks on it yet.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm
by Bluefish2
Made it through January. My enclosure was not so lucky as I did not make it out one day to clear snow. The ends are no longer tight from the weight and the cover is almost touching the boat in spots. Just need to make it through February. Needless to say NO progress>
BF2

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:30 pm
by Bluefish2
Bump
I will post pic of what remains of Canopy on the boat.
BF2

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 am
by Bluefish2
Finally back at it. Managed to start grinding on Friday for about an hour. I looked under the boat and found the saw horses were damaged from when the cover collapsed. The back wall also collapsed from the heavy rain.
The boat may be flipped sooner than I wanted because the boats have to move for the masons to rebuild the wall.
Hope I can make some progress soon.
BF2

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 pm
by Bluefish2
Found time today to reassess storm damage to the boat. The boat appears to have a further ripple in the bottom than before the storm and the shelter collapsing. The sawhorses are bent to one side so this may be part of the problem. All I can do at this point is move the boat and strong back to some blocks and re-level. Hope it works not sure what else I can do. Open to suggestions.
Will start sanding the glass for a start on that till I have to relocate the boat.
BF2

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
Sorry about all the troubles. Mother Nature has been tough this year on the east coast :( Can you show us some pics?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm
by Lower
That sucks man...sorry to hear that. Hope you can get everything straightned out and keep moving forward! We did get some serious rain though! Crazy...

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm
by TomW
Man hope everything worksout okay and pops back out. I know it's been a rough winter where from here north

Tom

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:17 pm
by Bluefish2
Well, the strong back looks okay so now I just have to move it.
Started sanding. Pictures below.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 pm
by Bluefish2

If the boat looks lopsided in any of the pictures please say so. I am trying to decide whether the what I perceive as storm damage up close is real. The boat was certainly shifted hard during the recent storms.

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:29 pm
by Dog Fish
Any one got a flashlight. :P

If the boat looks lopsided in any of the pictures please say so
Maybe a little, but its just so hard to tell in those dark pics.

Brian :)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:51 pm
by TomW
She looks pretty dang good. Pictures are deceiving so it's really up to you to determine if there is any twist. Take a string from the stern to frame b each way.

Tom

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:14 pm
by Bluefish2
No Flashlight, storm was blowing through when I took the picture. It looked like a storm anyway. real dark middle of the afternoon.
Tom, Just forgot about the string. I am not sure how I would set it up with the boat upside down. :doh: I'll work on it.
BF2

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 pm
by TomW
BF if you have everything level front to rear and side to side, then take a string or tape from the corners of the transom to the keel at a few places. That will let you know if you have any twist. Hopefully you won't. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 pm
by Bluefish2
Tom,
Raining again, so I was only able to do preliminary measurements. Those were within a half inch but i did not have any help and am not sure the tape was similarly located on corners. Should these numbers be exact? I will have a more accurate method tomorrow if the rain stops long enough.

Things I did notice: The boat looks like it moved on the frames. The sides were no longer touching frames on one side, side with longitudinal dip of about 4 mm max on one side of bottom, one of the stringers was up about a 1/4 inch on same side.
I do not have a straight edge long enough to measure difference but there is a slight hump toward the front of the boat.

I am open to suggestions on how to correct any of these. Pictures don't look bad and you would not notice any of the problems if you did not look closely.

BF2

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm
by Bluefish2
Finally measured along the center line per Tom's suggestion. All measurements were within 1/4" measuring from the corners to several locations along center line. I guess I am good to go!
So far: Hull sanded and washed down. Next up will be to fill the weave with thickened epoxy. Probably wood flour since this is the first pass. Also will be using graphite for the bottom finish.
BF2

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:30 pm
by TomW
BF I wouldn't use wood flour for any fairing or filling mix. It's to hard to sand if you leave it to thick is some places. I always use the premixed microballons and silica purple stuff. This is what Shine uses also.

Tom

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:38 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks Tom I will follow your advice,mostly.
In the mean time I did fill some of the major divets using wood flour and some left over silica from another project.
Also ordered additional fairing material and such from the store. Will provide some pictures when I actually start fairing the hull.
BF2

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm
by Bluefish2
Some progress. I started trying to fair the hull today. Several tries at consistency of catsup and they all had one problem: they would go on fine but look away and they started to run. Some of this was just volume I am sure but I would like to know if this will happen every time? Will adding a different filer help?
See picture below.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm
by gstanfield
maybe mix it a little thicker (like mayo instead of ketchup) ??

George

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:53 pm
by Cracker Larry
Mix it thicker. That filler is fine, you're just a little loose. Shoot for something like mayonnaise consistency.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:49 pm
by Boater45
BF2,
I had the same problem. I never could get the correct mixture.....I bought the 1.5qt QuickFair and it works great... no second guessing. 7oz part A and 3oz part B....works great and you can sand on it in less than 4 hours.

Will

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks Guys,
Sigh, now that you mention Quick Fair I have some in the shed. Hope it is still good. I can use it on the sides. The sides came put fairly smooth after sanding. Will try the mixed filler for places where there is heavy coverage required. The other problem observed when checking drying progress was air bubbles. Did not really expect the number found, all hardened into place.

sanding always sanding
BF2

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm
by Bluefish2
Well was able to find my container of quick fair. Much nicer to work with. I mixed and my buddy put it on.
What is the minimum temperature for Quick Fair? Seems to be taking longer to set than I recall.
He will receive something when we finish this project.
Pictures once we really make some progress.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm
by TomW
BF QF should set up in about 6 hrs at 75 degrees when mixed 2:1 If your off on the hardener a little it could take longer, but will set up.

Tom

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
by Bluefish2
Thank you Tom,
Are there any issues with removing the boat from the frames and then remounting to complete fairing?
I may have to because of construction on a wall.
Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm
by TomW
I'd hate to do it because you have the chance of getting out of square and putting a twist in it when you put it back on. Can you not move the frame and hull together. If it is the only way to do it, mark on the hull where every frame goes. Then before you put it back on, make sure your frame is square again then put the hull back on.

Good luck

Tom

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 pm
by Bluefish2
Tom, I will avoid taking the boat off the frames.

The fairing is going at a pretty good clip with the help I am getting. Finally had warm enough weather to completely coat the boat. The epoxy is taking a while to dry because it is cold at night but can still sanded the next morning. I now need to set up for the long board sanding. Pleased with how well the sides ended up because of the extra care (and help) I had this time. The finish on the OD16 just never looked that good to me, no matter how much work I put in.
Mark

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:24 pm
by Bluefish2
Making progress on the fairing. Started sanding the high spots this morning, went to health club came back sanded some more. Called buddy over and sanded more.... Wipe down boat put on more fairing compound. Good excuse to STOP sanding. Glad its not Quick Fair, doubt I could take anymore today. Will try to post pictures later.
BF2

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm
by Bluefish2
Approaching Primer stage. I have more high spots than low spots.
My friend and I are going to do a final skim coat and then start priming.
I am not sure I need primer on the bottom since that will have graphite. Probably a few inches up the sides as well.
The blue tape is where the extended side will be mounted too.
BF2

Please no more sanding!! AHHH!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:59 pm
by Bluefish2
I should have known. With the beautiful day Saturday the epoxy needed to be thicker than it was. End result virtually all the material applied had runs in it. I still have to order the primer and some QF so not to bad just a pain.
Sanding always sanding.
BF2

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:31 pm
by Bluefish2
Making progress. here is one of the edges from fairing. How long are these edges good for once I start using the boat?
I intend break them a bit before graphite goes on.

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:57 pm
by gk108
Once the QF gets fully cured and the graphite goes over it those edges will be good for scrapes and scrubs, but a hard knock on a rock will leave a gouge.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:04 pm
by Bluefish2
gk
will definitely round over some then.
mark

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 pm
by Bluefish2
Finally some progress. Decided to graphite and epoxy the bottom. As expected the first coat made every little flaw show up.
The sides definitely need more work. Graphite make a real mess, good thing it is on the bottom.
BF2

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:19 pm
by JamesT
Its nice and shiney though! :D

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 pm
by Bluefish2
James that picture was after the second coat. The final coat is still not dry after five hours and it's going to rain! :help:
Worse it is getting cold, 40's, so it may not setup at all before the rain arrives late tonight! I am holding my breath and putting the heater under the boat to try and boost the temperature a bit.
BF2

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 am
by Bluefish2
Had to cover the boat after final coat of graphite/epoxy. Pulled the cover off and one side is all buggered up :cry: Will prep for flipping: cradle, frames, glass, and helpers....
BF2

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 pm
by Bluefish2
It has been a while so time for brief update. I have come to the conclusion that I will never have the patience for super fine finish. We are going to flip the boat. I have started to build the cradle for the flip. and should be able to finish it by this weekend. Don't hold your breath though.
BF2

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm
by Bluefish2
I can see that time is passing but the fishing has been good. I recently put the stand for the boat to be flipped onto together.
That is about the extent of boat work for the past couple of weeks. I guess you could say I have been heat treating the boats bottom in the sun. will post a picture when the sun comes up. I have a couple of questions then.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm
by Bluefish2
I have a frame to flip the boat onto. Next get the people. I do have some Questions.
Are there enough frames to support the boat? I will be adding stringers to support front to back.
If I add the extension to the side will I still be able to remove twist?
Will plain straps do to remove any spread in the sides.
See picture below.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 010588.JPG

I had trouble with th e picture but it can still be viewed.
BF

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:22 pm
by steve292
Looks good to me. Yes to everything else.
steve

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm
by colonialc19
looks good to me also Bluefish, I think your on the right track with the flip, I did it with four people, but few more wouldn't hurt 8)

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am
by Bluefish2
Well, I have had trouble finding people to flip the boat. I am going to try hard this weekend to get this done.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 pm
by Bluefish2
This progress was actually a repair on my FL11. two years of dragging it up and down the beach with the car left a lot of damage on the bottom. Repaired that. So now I wonder if I need more 12oz tape? I have two rolls and a maybe another 10 yds on the tag end.
Will 50yds be enough for the inside seams?
BD

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:52 am
by remedy32
Hi BF2,
Looks like we've got the same idea for the 4th. My FS17 is all cued up and ready for "volunteers" today. Seems like a more productive family thing than a tug of war or playing horseshoes to me. I'm wondering if we should hold the food or beverages until after the flipping activities.

Good luck!

Bill in CT

Re: FS17- Extended sheer - FLIPPED!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:40 pm
by Bluefish2
Finally flipped the boat!! :D Several friends came over along with my son. I did not think the side would take any weight so we did an end over flip. Took 20 minutes. We had one dicey moment. Because the bottom is black it gets real hot! As the bottom came over 6 pairs of hands got burned for a few seconds. if it is not one thing it's another. Will post a couple of pictures later.
I am amazed how light the hull is.
Things I learned: end over end flip worked well for this boat but a strong wind would have prevented it. Graphite epoxy gets hot fast and an earlier flip would have helped. It takes less time to flip than I expected. You can never have enough ice water on hot days

To night I will work on leveling and tying down the hull and maybe some grinding before the next glassing session.
BF2.

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:14 pm
by Bluefish2
Here are a couple of shots after the flip.

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:01 pm
by Bluefish2
I started glassing the transom this morning. I will post a few pics in my gallery later this week after I have made some progress.
Will be away fishing next two weeks with my Dad and son. Finally cool in Alaska! If they are not having a heat wave. Will post results in fishing thread else where.
BF2

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm
by Cracker Larry
Boat looks great 8)

Have a good trip, I've always wanted to fish in Alaska, never been. Show us pictures!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:25 pm
by Bluefish2
See above picture in previous post. Now add glass to all seams. Snap, you have what has been accomplished since last post.
Plus one drain hole in transom. Had to It started raining cats and dogs five minutes before I got home from my work out. Three inches in five minutes in boat! Tomorrow intended work is the glass for the bottom inside.
BF2

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:40 am
by Bluefish2
Glassed the inside of the boat over the last three days. The epoxy, even with the slow set hardener, kicked rapidly. Not a very clean job some of the glass fell of the sides and the setting epoxy pooled in some places. Would have been better off waiting until after the fishing trip. But no shelter so.....
Can not wait to take off.
BF2

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:35 pm
by Bluefish2
After the disaster with the internal glassing of the bottom (see power boats section) I have come to a couple of conclusions:
1. I did indeed miss some glass due to heat exhaustion.
2. epoxy runs like water when it is hot and you miss a lot of glass even when you know you put some in a given location.
3. partially bonded glass is till hard to remove :help:
4. The heat is about to break up here (Boston) but the best part of fishing season is about to begin (boat has to wait)
5. I need a shelter to continue.
6. This is a lot more than a couple.

Now questions that I am sure will lead to more.
Some of the glass is securely bonded. Can I not grind these areas but simple add epoxy? Please!
If so, will it weaken the structure to much?

Desperate to minimize grinding,
BF2

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:03 am
by remedy32
B'fish..............this #$%& happens!

You just need to get the 4" (or 4.5) grinder out with a 24x disc and clean out the bad areas. The areas you're dealing with don't show and can be patched very easily. Reality is that it sometimes takes longer to post and mull over the problem than to fix it! Pick a cooler day, cover yourself up and you'll have it cleaned out in an hour or two. The below deck grid is probably the most important structure on these boats so it pays to get it right and never see it again!

We've had the same weather here in CT and my FS17 has slowed too, but cooler weather tomorrow should allow me to do the last spraying finally!

Bill in CT
FS17

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 am
by colonialc19
Blue,
I think it best to grind or cut out the spots with a razor blade like Joel mentioned,the grinding won't take but a couple minutes,
then clean up any rough edges left by the grinder with your sander, and patch with a new piece of glass overlapping like Joel said about 4-6".
I had a couple problems like this myself on the bottom of my hull, mainly on the chine where I hadn't a good radius, I ended up grinding it out and patching, caused some extra fairing :oops: .

This is my .02 anyway, might want to wait for some more reply's :wink:
D

edit: in the heat, cool your epoxy in the fridge helps alot

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 am
by TomW
BF you need to get all those white areas out of there, they are weak points and adding epoxy will not stengthen them. Take the big hurt now for a great boat later.

Tom

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 pm
by Bluefish2
BIG Hurt Is an Understatement :help: :help: :( :(
I broke down and bought a suit to get into, and masks, and safety glasses and a whole bunch of disks. Then I begged a Nephew to come over and help out. Three hours later half done. I can't wait for the next three hours..... :(
On the plus side I finally got a job after 20 months (means I can put off the rest of the work during the week! ) 1!!
BF

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:16 pm
by Bluefish2
Well, most of the heavy grinding is done. Now i have to make some real progress. There is still some grinding to do I will attack as time allows The areas around where stringers and frames are done. I will continue working on that.
In the mean time I am tripping over boat parts in the basement. so I have prepped to put on the side extensions and have one side on, lot of work. Tomorrow more grinding and maybe the other side. Then more grinding. Because of the mistake I have to buy more epoxy. :cry:
BBD

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 pm
by Bluefish2
It is almost time for more pictures. I finally stopped dilly dallying and put the side extensions on. I adds the appearance of progress anyway. Will post pictures when available.
Most of the grinding is done but I had a couple of screws pull out of the frame the boat is on and have to strengthen things before climbing in to finish the inside grinding.
BBD

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 pm
by Bluefish2
Well, the grinding is about done. Just some clean up to do and a few places that wont interfere with progress.
That means I can now order the epoxy wasted in this disaster, I figure three gallons should about do itI may also order some more glass, 12oz. I did use more tape than planned repairing the fl11. which also meant epoxy not planned. I will put the rails on and I hope the stringers and frame then flip it over for the winter sleep.
BD

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:36 pm
by Bluefish2
I managed to get some work done, beyond grinding. The outside rubrails are on. This is about the limit of work for now since the weather is turning cold. Over the next few weeks I will have a shed installed that is big enough to put the boat in. also ordered some solar powered lights that should help. It will be a tight fit in my small yard.
BF2

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:40 pm
by Uncle D
Bluefish2 wrote: The outside rubrails are on. This is about the limit of work for now since the weather is turning cold. Over the next few weeks I will have a shed installed that is big enough to put the boat in. also ordered some solar powered lights that should help. It will be a tight fit in my small yard.
BF2
And a heater. :wink:

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:23 pm
by Bluefish2
Uncle,
I thought of that! I also have a shed to finish the boat in! First addition is a heater I was thinking, if they are still available, an infra red heater would be great. Heat the boat not the air.
BF2

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:29 am
by Uncle D
BF, had a similar coversation with a buddy in Ark. about IR lamps. He said that they will help the resin cure faster and harder. I'm thinking of picking up a couple myself. The cold hasn't been a problem here but who knows, it's frozen before, 80's or 90's I think. J/K :wink:
Don

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:16 pm
by Bluefish2
Today the cold went North to Alaska. But yesterday they (Yakutat) were 10degrees warmer. I guess this just means it can be cold anywhere.
BF

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:36 pm
by Bluefish2
I finally after what seems forever have a hard cover for the boat.
Somewhere in there is my FS 17 under construction. I hope to start work again after Christmas.
BF2

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:12 pm
by chicagoross
That was a quick build!

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 pm
by Bluefish2
Took about three hours to put up while at work! Shed is prefab, but should last for several boats.
BF

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm
by Bluefish2
Sanders still work. They also make more noise inside than out. Decided to see how cold it would be out in the new shed. Had doors installed so it is actually pretty nice. With that out of the way I will start putting in some time every night.
BF2

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am
by Bluefish2
Tooling up for summer! Replaced second burned out vacuum. with what i hope will be my last.
Then while looking for that I noticed something that will be useful, a compressor. 20gal, 5HP, and 4.5 cubic feet@ 90PSI.
I should stay away from hardware and box stores. Worse than candy.
BF2

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 pm
by Uncle D
Bluefish2 wrote:Tooling up for summer! Replaced second burned out vacuum. with what i hope will be my last.
Then while looking for that I noticed something that will be useful, a compressor. 20gal, 5HP, and 4.5 cubic feet@ 90PSI.
I should stay away from hardware and box stores. Worse than candy.
BF2
What did you get.

Don

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 am
by Bluefish2
Compressor and Vaccuum. Still trying to decide on an paint sprayer. `

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am
by Uncle D
Bluefish2 wrote:Compressor and Vaccuum. Still trying to decide on an paint sprayer. `
Sorry I meant what brand and model compressor. as to the gun I'd go with the HVLP. Thanks, Don

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:14 pm
by Bluefish2
Uncle D
The Vacuum is a Rigid and the compressor is Husky. Basically store brand stuff. I have quite a few tools by rigid and have never had trouble with them. As for the Husky compressor, well, let's just say it fit with in the budget. I have never seen them offered anyplace but HD box store. Really wanted something heavy duty but just don't have the cash.
BF2

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 pm
by Cracker Larry
The Vacuum is a Rigid
Mine is also a Rigid and it's been the best vac I've ever had. I've been abusing it for about 5 years and it just keeps on sucking :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm
by cottontop
Bluefish your work looks great. I'm in the market for a "larger" vacuum than the one I have. How many gallons is your new one? John

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm
by Bluefish2
Cottontop,
10 gallon, I went through two Shop Vacs last year due to my fiberglass issue. Even with $30 dollar hepa filters. The glass just eats motors. Even a couple of the Hepa filter did the self destruct thing. I may go back for a more expensive model or try and find a hose that is smooth inside so it won't clog as easily.
BF

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 am
by Bluefish2
Finally at it again. Fixed the sagging bottom issue. have stringeers tabbed in and starting glassing today. Need to make serious progress.
BF2

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm
by Bluefish2
Slow progress. The stringers are in but not fully glassed. Almost had frame A in but there was to much trimming to do and my lights failed. Boat is level and all frames (except A) appear to be right where they should. If I didn't have to work tomorrow I would be able to get stringers and frames glassed in over weekend. I am going to try hard anyway. Pictures? When the first frame is glassed in.
BF2

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am
by Bluefish2
Making progress. Stringers in will work on frames today.
Photos in process.
BF2

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:39 pm
by Bluefish2
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 04.JPG[img]
[/img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 010602.JPG[/img]
Well I was busy this week end. back side of bulk head is frame c is almost in and tomorrow I will work on frame D. Frame A is glassed on one side.
BF2

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:40 pm
by Bluefish2
Could some one tell me why pictures are not showing up?
BF

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 pm
by gstanfield

These pictures? In the brackets, only the second bracket has the "/" before the "img"

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:35 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks George,
figured it had to be something simple like that but could not see it.
Mark

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm
by Bluefish2
Went out to inspect glass work from Sunday. Nearly every thing seemed okay until I looked at top of transom. There is grinding in my future, though it was sort of expected. (see pictures above) The glass on the top of the transom did not stay down. Pretty sure the bend was just to tight. Stray pieces put on the bottom to replace stuff ground out from last year's problems all seemed good except for one piece I stepped on while still a bit green.
I need to buy a couple more rollers for the glass. the one I have been using is rapidly filling with epoxy even tough I have cleaned it out every time.
So far, so good.

What kind of wood have people use for rod holders? These are going to be glued in place of frames so need some strength as well as looking good.
BF2

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:16 pm
by whosmatt
Bluefish2 wrote: I need to buy a couple more rollers for the glass. the one I have been using is rapidly filling with epoxy even tough I have cleaned it out every time.
BF2
I've had pretty good luck cleaning rollers with the tip of a broken popsicle stick or tongue depressor... it's small enough to get in the groove and wooden so it doesn't deform the metal or plastic, depending on which roller it is. Use plenty of acetone while the epoxy is still green, and wipe the gunk you dredge out off with a soaked rag. They still fill up after a while, but that prolongs the life a lot.

-Matt

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:27 pm
by Cracker Larry
Do yall have a bench grinder? A wire wheel on a grinder will shine it up like new.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:51 pm
by whosmatt
Cracker Larry wrote:Do yall have a bench grinder? A wire wheel on a grinder will shine it up like new.
Nope. I've hardly got room for the boat in there...

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 pm
by Bluefish2
I've tried everything. From tongue depressors to lathes i a machine shop. soak metal ones in acetone for a few days will help sometimes but by then it is cheaper to replace than trying to clean it up. Lowest price I have seen is mertons at about $12 HIghest? shouldn't have to say but WEST MARINE at $29.00!! for the same 1"X 6" roller.
I have had the current one for 3 years and used it quite a bit.
BF2

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm
by Bluefish2
Stringers are in. I will have to correct a couple of spots that had some gravitational deformation,sagging. More grinding in the future.Tiny pieces too. Frames are in. Will not have time for a couple of days to do much.
BF2

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm
by Bluefish2
Started putting in the side pieces for the stringers that support the deck. time consuming.
I also went and bought a new toy, Bosch Multi tool. This is definitely a great tool for boat work.
Some of the glass I put in last week did not quite stay flat leaving when hardened. this would have ment a grinder to remove in the past. Not any more! Put the straight blade on cut flush removed about three feet of excess glass in long strips in two minutes.
:D :D :D
Great toy!
BF2

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:29 pm
by Bluefish2
Making progress, just nothing worth being excited about. All but 2 cleats for the floor are done started cutting and priming the bracing for the casting deck. Began the bracing for the storage, Which in the end I decided not to put the arch in.I have the console started but still need to glass it.
Ordered the last of the plywood to be delivered tomorrow. including a couple of extras for future projects.
I am still thinking of ordering a leaning post/live well just not sure which to by and how easy they are to plumb, suggestions would be helpful.
BF2

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm
by Bluefish2
Plywood arrived so the floor panels were the first thing to be cut. Next was the last of the cleats for various locations. cut the casting deck and finished gluing in the support. Once the Bruins win the Stanley cup from that northern team :lol: (this could come back to bite me) I should be able to make a lot of progress. I am almost ready to glue down the floor once the holes are drilled (between Playoff periods).
Have not decided weather to foam the interstitial spaces or not the lattime did not work out to well, blame it on builder error.
Will report back in a couple of days.
BF2

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 am
by Bluefish2
Bruins Won!
During intermissions finished the last of the glassing on the sides. Now have to find time put in the floor and chase tubes in.
Almost ready for pictures.
BF2

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 pm
by Bluefish2
Making progress. Have holes for chase tubes to various parts of the boat cut. one of the tubes is in and decided to pre-glass the casting deck. Started sanding the console. Do not have time to buy one as they all take one to two week to show up. It will have to happen as an improvement at a later date.
This going to be a fishing boat with a work boat finish. A lot of the detail will be done over the winter. The intention is to do just enough finish to get it in the water this year then detail it over the winter. Hopefully next post I will have the pictures.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 am
by Bluefish2
A couple of quick pictures:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 010618.JPG

With any luck and nice temps I will have the sole and console in by the forth of July.
BF2

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:45 pm
by Bluefish2
I am moving along quickly. The weekend is planned as: finish rail templates
seal oversized holes around pipes put down as much sole,
work hard on console (which can be done in a nice cool basement)
investigate trailer purchase or repair, which means the OD 16 meets an angry sawzall. ( I am selling the 25 merc 4s )
the trailer needs an axel, hubs and wheels and other minor repairs.
Other stuff as well. If I get that done I can think about the motor mounting
and to celebrate fishing on Tuesday

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 pm
by Bluefish2
A couple more pictures. Starting to glue down the soul.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 19%7E0.JPG

Hopefully, there will be more and better pictures tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:48 pm
by Bluefish2
Almost. The deck is down and I have been taping the seams. If the weather cools down then I can finish the seams tomorrow and put down the floor covering on Saturday and if time allows

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm
by Bluefish2
pictures

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 pm
by Steven
Sole is a nice milestone. I hope you decide to pour foam in the voids. Atleast enough to make her unsinkable.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 am
by Bluefish2
Hi Steven,
Yes there will be foam for the voids. In order to meet my time tabel to have the engine mounted I decided to forego for the time being. Hoping for motor to be installed end of July. Finish detail much longer.
BF

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:19 pm
by Bluefish2
No Pictures tonight. Just to tired. That said I do have enough left ver strength to say that the deck is glassed. the console is glassed on the front, and the trailer is ordered!
Thing I still have to do inthe nest week: glass in the casting deck, not to bad.
put on the gunnels, a lot of work but I have a small army of people willing to put in some time now for a chance to fish later.
Register the trailer, I wish someone would volunteer for that but not likely.
Put on the front storage area cover, time consuming but not to bad.
Pictures when available.
BF2

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:11 pm
by Bluefish2
Moving on. Console is glassed in, does not look to bad.
Casting deck fully glassed.
gunnels are ready to go. Will need to brace later.
Front storage still needs work. Pictures soon.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:03 pm
by Bluefish2
More progress. Some pictures.

There are a few more pictures but thats it for now.
I have the trailer. set to be registered. And a couple more hours of work to affix the gunnels.
Should be the last year of nominal fishing time. All the detail will be done in the winter and final finishing before the middle of May next year. (about the time fishing becomes reliable around here.)

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:09 pm
by Bluefish2
I took the boat in for motor install. There is still a lot of work to do but I hope to have enough of it done by mid September to launch. Last picture are still the some except boat is on the trailer. It is heavy but will be what I want. Steering is also going in.
BF2

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 pm
by Bluefish2
Arrived back from vacation to find the motor had not been installed. Sigh, owner said It needed more finish work. The service person saw the boat before hand and did not have a problem with it. They knew what was going to happen: the final finish would happen over the winter. Oh well, I agreed to do some more work and take it back for the final install. Painting will have to happen sooner rather than later.
Has anyone else had this problem? The shop said that if the motor was not fully installed by them then warranty would be voided.
BF2

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm
by gstanfield
The shop said that if the motor was not fully installed by them then warranty would be voided.
That seems to be the general rule of thumb for every brand outboard on sizes over 20-25hp. I've heard of shops that will make an exception as long as they "inspect" the install, but those guys seem to be the exception rather than the rule. My local "marina" said they would not even sell me an outboard over 25hp without me paying them to do the full install including running all wires, hoses, etc...needless to say they won't ever receive a penny from me :!:

LarryB and a few other guys have bought larger outboards and had them shipped to them so I know it's possible to skip the dealer...

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 am
by Larry B
Im not for sure, but I think that only Evinrude will ship and you can install it and still have full warranty. The EMM computer does everything on the Etec so all they have to do is hook up a computer and they can see if any fault codes are there. They gave me a 5 year warranty on mine. But I would still say to order it from a dealer close to you. I Had needle valve in a fuel part that was stuck and couldn't get it to fire up. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it and did the initial start up and gave me a predelivery check list. So if it was me, I'd order the motor, rig it and let the dealer do the initial start up and predelivery, that way your covered for sure on your warranty as they inspect your rigging.
I think Cracker Larry did his own rigging and it was on a Yamaha, so seems there are exceptions and probably depends on the dealer.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 am
by Cracker Larry
Yep, it depends on the dealer and how hungry they are. This is not a good economy for boat dealers right now and they can be very flexible if they need to be. They would like to get the install fees, but they really need to make the sale. All that hope and change aint been working out real good for them over the last 3 years :doh: Me either :? I can get any engine I want and bring it home in the back of my truck, and still get the full warranty.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am
by remedy32
Hi BF......good to see you're still chugging along with the build. Can't remember what you finally chose for the engine.(?) My FS17 has been on the water just a bit less than a year now and while I'm satisfied with the Yamaha 25 (2 stroke) I've come to the conclusion that the "perfect" engine for the center console configured boat is one of the lighter modern 40 hp motors. I would lean toward the Yamaha and second choice probably the Evinrude. Either should push the boat into the high 20's maybe low 30's (mph) depending on the load. Not very much out there in the way of good used motors in this range unfortunately so I guess we've got to put up with the dealers.

Stick with it....she's getting there.

bill

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:54 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi guys,
Sorry not to get back but I have been working like a crazed man on the boat so the engine con be installed before the season ends. Here is what I have done to push the progress:
covered seats, installed access hatches, enclosed motor well. I also made 9mm mounting plate for the motor that will be removable if needed like when it is worn out. I have a few pictures to post and some more to take. Also fised a couple of minor issues while I was at it. A lot of progress and starting to think painting, FINALLY!
As for the dealer of the motor(TOHATSU) I gues despite the economy they still receive pressure from Tohatsu manufacturing not to let people install engines. Apparenty a lot of people just plain do it wrong and the engines fail prematurely. I will try again this week. There will be primer at the very minimum.
Onward and Upward,
BF2

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm
by Bluefish2
She's in the shop for her new drive train! I dropped the boat off this afternoon!!
At this point if the maiden voyage occurs by October 1st I will be happy. All I want is to catch one fish. Rather I want my buddy to catch one fish. He put in a lot of effort and it's the best way I can think of repaying him since he has refused every other offer.
I think the paint will be blue. I ordered some Kiwi Grip for the deck, casting deck, and rear seats. The is just going to be EasyPoxy which held up nice on the OD. Even purchased a sprayer for the primer.
BF2

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 am
by Cracker Larry
Sounds like good progress 8) I really like the Easypoxy paint too. I used it for years on my charter boats and have used it on the last few rebuilds I've done. Excellent paint for the money.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 pm
by Bluefish2
So much for maiden voyage. Due to crappy weather over an extended period of time I am not going to be able to launch the boat this year. I just do not have the time to do it.

I finally did decide to put a coat of primer on. Expected it to look pretty bad but there were only a couple of places that showed up. One of the extended sides will need some attention and a couple of places that were quick fared yesterday with a not very smooth spreader, I ran out of new ones.

So that is it for now. No pictures my camera's usb cable appears to be visiting relatives in the North West.

BF2

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:28 pm
by Bluefish2
Did some sanding and quick fair application on Monday night. I am also looking at finishing the gunnels and installing some of the Hardware. Next couple of months should be interesting. Even if the boat is not in the water.
BF2

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:39 pm
by Bluefish2
Things Have been busy the last couple of months but not the boat work. Crappy weather has put the boat back in the shed for further work. At least I got the hull primed while it was outside. Still some fairing to do.....

Is there any consensus on seats versus leaning post?
BF2

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:36 pm
by Bluefish2
Have started a leaning post. Getting ready to close in the bow area/anchor locker.
Still need to do some finishing of the inside and additional sanding.
floor under console needs to be beefed up for battery.
So much to do so little time.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm
by Bluefish2
The past two weekends have allowed me to make some real progress.I started a leaning post. created a locker for the anchor,
started adding stiffeners to the gunnel, and lots of other stuff.
the one that I am most pleased with though is starting a bit of shape to the front side of frame A. Basically just extending the gunnels to meat in the center. Kept looking at that straight edge and thinking I will regret not putting some shape in now if I have to stare at it from the center console.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 pm
by Bluefish2
There was one other thing I tried but did not have any success with and that was foaming in the underside of the anchor locker.
Just to cold. Also noticed that the foam chemicals seamed lumpy so maybe they went by from sitting in the cold.
BF2

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am
by Uncle D
Interested in seeing pics of that leaning post.

Don

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi Uncle D,
I will take pictures of the leaning post this weekend. Just took it apart to coat with epoxy. It looks nice enough I think it stay natural. Nothing fancy I just could not find the right seat so thought a leaning post will do in a pinch.
BF2

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm
by Bluefish2
To darned cold around here to work in the shed. So, I worked on the leaning post.
It is only dry fit at this point but am trying to decide what to do next. Use of epoxy has been forbidden in the house for some time, except for very small amounts. Here are a couple of pictures.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm
by Bluefish2
I should note that the board at the bottom of the rear shot is there to hold things straight. I will mount the whole unit on another board. and glass that in place. That's the plan right now.
BF2

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:50 pm
by Bluefish2
Winter is moving along and spring is squarely in our sights. I decided the weather is now warm enough to be in the shed. SANDING! :? I've waited all winter for this, the final sanding of the interior, the last of the epoxy and a chance to put on the last coat of paint, after sanding of course. Found a lot of spots that need touch up.
This will be a working finish. No use going to a Bristol finish, I have a new great niece and nephew coming up, in a couple of years, to start fishing. Bottom line, I just want to go fishing.
I will post some pictures of the boat tomorrow after the sun comes up.
BF2

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm
by Bluefish2
Here are a couple of pictures. I put the leaning post in place to see how it would look. Also, temporarily mounted rod holder and two pop up cleats. I am trying to locate a forth matching cleat to replace the defective one.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:07 pm
by Bluefish2
It has been to cold for epoxy work so what have I been doing? My whole reason for life and boats, Sanding. A little more Quick Fair and a little more sanding then the last coat of primer.
Also started looking into inspections and Taxes. Sigh, does the government ever stop wanting to take money from my nearly empty pockets. Except for the tax people, most of the environmental guys seem pretty decent and I have never had a bit of trouble. Feels like they have done the best they can for me.
More pictures when I put on more paint.
BF2

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:40 pm
by Bluefish2
Been progressing slowly. Put the top on the anchor locker. Also added a access port to the inside of the anchor locker. Why? Because I still will need to access the tie down bolt from the inside at some point and may need to do some wiring. It still needs a light for the front but no decision on what that will be.
Corrected an error I made on the casting deck. I thought a strip of wood would look nice in that location. WRONG. Once I was able to look from behind a console the whole thing was downright ugly. Saw, glue, grind, router, much better. Not quite done.
I could have left a lot of small stuff alone. but it would have left me with to many regrets.
There is the sanding which is improve the finish enough that maybe it will be one step above work boat.

I will post pics when available.
BF2

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:26 pm
by Bluefish2
Been a while since last post. Just no real changes and lack of time. I have a picture or two.

Looking forward this is the curve I added to improve the forward view. What I finally settled on was about a dozen mahogany blocks. Cut 22* angle on each end and they interlocked very nicely. Still not completely done. One more piece of block to install.
Then grind, sand, and seal.

Looking into anchor locker. Hole is for front side access to things like towing bolt and wiring. Still need warm weather to paint. missed the last opportunity.

BF2

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:18 am
by Bluefish2
Starting to paint. I was learning how to use a spray gun yesterday. It took me 2 hours to spray a pint of primer.
Did I do something wrong? Seems like that is way to long for that amount of paint. It seemed to work okay. Will have to get a buddy over to explain how to do this properly. :doh:
There is not enough room in the shed to spray the sides. They will have to wait a couple of weeks. Here are a couple of pictures.

That's it for this session. Hopefully there will be some color next time.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 am
by remedy32
Looks like your getting closer to the end of this project!
It took me 2 hours to spray a pint of primer.
Did I do something wrong?
Yes probably. Don't know what you're using as a gun but for priming I use a cheap Harbor Freight $25 gravity feed with a 1.8-2.0 mm nozzle. This will deliver 1-2 oz per minute, maybe a bit more. Nice thing is that gravity feed guns are less critical about the viscosity of the paint. If you were using a siphon feed gun with thick material I guess it could take that long. Did you adjust the fluid flow control knob to allow max flow? Do a bit more testing before you try to spray finish for sure. Generally the primer reveals stuff you didn't see before and leads to a bit more filling/fairing and then another coat of primer. Hopefully the weather will start to cooperate more here in the Northeast for you soon.

bill

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 am
by Bluefish2
Thanks Bill, that is helpful. I did thin the primer, System 3, 20%. What I noticed was the tiny size of the holes, .1mm may be stretching it. I eventually did figure out the knob positions but it took a while. I finally brushed the last of the paint on and called it a day.
Yes, I found a lot more places to sand that I was hoping did not need it. :help:
Thanks for the info it will help.
Mark

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 am
by Bluefish2
I started out this morning to do some Kiwi grip. Things I noticed: for a heavy material it goes a long way, Dries real fast,
and takes a little while to make it the texture finish you want. There are a heavier and lighter Finish. I think the lighter will be the texture of choice. I think they should provide a 7" roller as well. Will post some pictures later.
BF2

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm
by Bluefish2
Wish I could post some pics. Making some progress. I have been touching up some of the Kiwi Grip. The inside is done as far as it goes with this stuff. I think a different color would be better for the motor well so a bit to do there. The deck is covered about 6" up the sides, the rear seat boxes are done and the rear bulk head is just about done.
I think I will retouch some places after the finish coat is done. I have not decided what to do with the front of the boat over the anchor locker. Probably just Kiwi it. Like the way it creates a strong outline.

I do have one problem: buggered up the interface between the side rails and the front deck. So More fairing and more sanding. :help: Then the router bit I was using to straighten the outside edge lost the guide bearing. :cry: BIG gouge before I realized the problem. Hope to attack these issues soon.

But my favorite part so far? I called the EPO office and made arrangements for an inspection to get HULL NUMBER!
ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!
BF2

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm
by Bluefish2
I have added a few pictures to my album. Basic Kiwi Grip application. ALso, put on firt coat of finish for the insides. Problem is the colors show no separation. They are so close you can not tell them apart. One is a bit glossier but if you were not looking you'd miss it.
BF2

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm
by Doc_Dyer
here ya go 8)

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 am
by Bluefish2
Thanks Doc. Appreciated.
Mark

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm
by whosmatt
Looking good. I still haven't done the Kiwigrip on mine as I just keep taking it out instead of working on it :D I guess I'll have to set aside a dry weekend and just get it done.

looking forward to seeing more.

-Matt

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi Matt,
I like the kiwi It is easy to put on. I did notice some bleed through though. Not really sure why or what. I took extra care on cleaning on the nest area.
There are if they up loaded a few picture in the gallery. I will double check to be sure. I will finish the Kiwi tomorrow. and the last of the inside painting. Keep us posted on the stress crack problem. Hope I don't have the sane issue.
Mark

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:24 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi Matt,
I like the kiwi It is easy to put on. I did notice some bleed through though. Not really sure why or what. I took extra care on cleaning on the next area. No problem there.
There are if they up loaded a few picture in the gallery. I will double check to be sure. I will finish the Kiwi tomorrow. and the last of the inside painting. Keep us posted on the stress crack problem. Hope I don't have the same issue.
Mark

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:02 am
by whosmatt
Bluefish2 wrote:
I do have one problem: buggered up the interface between the side rails and the front deck. So More fairing and more sanding. :help: Then the router bit I was using to straighten the outside edge lost the guide bearing. :cry: BIG gouge before I realized the problem.
BF2
I had that same problem too. I was using a round over bit to finish the rubrail-gunwale edge and lost the bearing. I just added some fairing material and went over it again after replacing the bearing. It's not perfect but I don't figure the fish will care.

-M

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 am
by whosmatt
Bluefish2 wrote:Hi Matt,
I like the kiwi It is easy to put on. I did notice some bleed through though. Not really sure why or what. I took extra care on cleaning on the next area. No problem there.
There are if they up loaded a few picture in the gallery. I will double check to be sure. I will finish the Kiwi tomorrow. and the last of the inside painting. Keep us posted on the stress crack problem. Hope I don't have the same issue.
Mark
You mean that it bled a little under the tape? I've put a few hours on the boat now and have realized that the inside paint isn't going to stay clean no matter what I do, so I won't really worry about that.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm
by Bluefish2
Hey Matt,
No the bleed through was from something on the deck. I recoated and looked yesterday to find mor bleed through. Guess it is there permanently. It does not wash off.
Mark

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm
by whosmatt
Bluefish2 wrote:Hey Matt,
No the bleed through was from something on the deck. I recoated and looked yesterday to find mor bleed through. Guess it is there permanently. It does not wash off.
Mark
Oh, I see. Refresh my memory, what kind of paint or finish did you apply it over?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:58 pm
by cedarock
I had a couple of purple/blue 1/4" circles bleed through on my gf.....don't know what caused that, but it is much better than the other non-skid coating that I have used.

Your boat is looking great!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks cedarock, working hard at it. The boat goes on the trailer this weekend with enough people.
I opened the paint that I bought for the boat two years ago to see if I still liked it. Nice bright color called Ocean Blue.
Should attract a lot of attention.
Would paint the boat before putting on trailer, but there is just not enough room. I was hoping to do this early enough to have a student from the art school around the corner, literally, paint it for short money. Classes ended last week, to late.
Moving it should be interesting, my guess is between 650 + 700lbs
Mark

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 pm
by Bluefish2
Finally! Registered! Still needs top coat but that will still have to wait a week. I have had trouble locating people for putting the boat on the trailer. Figures.
The boat inspection was easy, EPO came to the house. 15 minutes, applied hull number, got receipt and general explanation of what needed to be done. Almost enough to make one have faith in government efficiency. Thankyou EPO officer!
Then I went into Boston.... AAHHHGG, that sound cats make when they hack hairballs. Hours on the door said 8:30, guard at the door(who I have to admit was pleasant and friendly) said DOR opens at 8:45, and of course the service window did not open until 9:00. A man who came in shortly after me asked a couple of questions and tried to get one of the forms I needed. Had a bored government worker look about him.
The woman who came in, late, and seemed bright and perky let this man in who went to the other window sat down waiting for a customer. With that bored government worker look. They had to recalculate my taxes three times and give me two different two forms to say this was exempt and that was not. I picked up the wrong receipt so that was not their fault. I wont have to do that again for a long time.
EPO office I got the bored looking clerk this time. Went smoothly enough and the boat was registered. To be fair I think, having been one myself, the bored look comes to all who are behind desks waiting on people.

Last coat of primer on the out side tomorrow. Topcoat when it is on the trailer.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 pm
by whosmatt
Bluefish2 wrote:Hey Matt,
Mark
I did my Kiwigrip as well and my staining (I won't call it bleed through) was from some tree trash getting into the stuff before it dried.

I know what you're talking about though; I used to paint houses and that stuff is hard to get rid of. Kilz was about the only thing that would stop it, but not sure how that would hold up in a boat, plus it needs to be *under* the paint :help:

Congrats on getting registered! I towed mine down to the DMV because I thought they'd want to see it, but they didn't care one bit. All they wanted was my money.

When I lived in NC I once had to have an old boat trailer that was previously unregistered and untitled inspected, and the guy that came out to my house was armed. I was kind of surprised, but these are the same guys that are tasked with inspecting commercial hauling, so they probably run into all kinds of crazy stuff.. contraband, etc.

-M

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi Matt,
et al I have started painting and this boat will not win any prizes for best finish. It will however be in the water by Memorial Day.
Received the title in the mail the other day so I am all legal like. Called to make arrangements to have the motor set back on the transom and hooked up. because the transom was already primed It was painted. The rest of the boat will be primed tomorrow.

How long should I wait to put top coat over system three primer?
The weather here looks to be warm and dry for the next few days. I need at least one coat of finish paint before it goes in the water.
Will take some pictures in the morning of progress.
Mark

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:28 pm
by Cracker Larry
I would wait at least a week, unless it's very warm and you can put it in the sun. Don't want the primer to shrink under the paint.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm
by whosmatt
Are you using the System Three primer? [EDIT: Duh, just reread your post] I'd just follow the schedule that's on the container. CL's advice is as always solid but I know the feeling of having a deadline set for yourself :P. Definitely follow the directions, though, and consider the relative humidity in addition to the temperature. The full screen view of wunderground.com at http://www.fullscreenweather.com/ can give you pretty good local data that's up to date (nearly real time) if you live in a populated area.

An extra few days seems interminable when the end is in sight, but considering how long you've been working on it, no sense in rushing too much.

What's your topcoat?

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:59 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi CL and company.
I am taking the boat for motor on Tuesday so was hoping for one coat of finish. Yes, I guess patience was struck from the name chart when I was born. A few days will not kill me, i don't think. Air has been drier than dust the last few days.
As for the finish coat it is going to be Petit Easy Poxy. In Ocean Blue. See picture below.

There will not be much change in the next few days. Just some wiring and maybe paint the center console.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm
by Bluefish2
Weathers been lousy lately. Still before the rain started my buddy and I were able to: prime sides, prime console, and apply the second topcoat to transom. All before 9:00AM! Also started installing one of the more important pieces of equipment: fish finder.
Not much use for fishing boat finish if you can't find the fish.
Had to delay motor install due to weather. So, Thursday.
Hopefully the weather will be good this week end.
Mark

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:33 am
by Bluefish2
A few pictures. Hopefully in the water Sunday!

BF2

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:33 pm
by gstanfield
:D Looks like you'll have a great summer yet!

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:29 pm
by Bluefish2
Thanks George,
More pictures to come!
It's going to be a great summer!
Mark

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 pm
by Bluefish2
Here's one for the road!

Only problem is I did not catch any fish. We saw a 35-40 pound striper at the docks.
BF2

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 am
by Bluefish2
After some trials and tribulations the boat made it to the water!! Still no fish but that will happen.
Boat runs well at least at low RPM. Highest, due to break in time, was 3000rpm.

Left the dock initially without fish rods But we saw a lot of fish being caught. Squid are in and Macks are all over the place.
All of them feeding on the herring in the area, billions of them.
Great day!

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 am
by Uncle D
Congrats on the splash, awesome!!

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm
by BassMunn
Wow congrats on the Splash! The sheer height looks nice.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 pm
by tobolamr
Congratulations on the splash! Can't wait to hear more reports as you get the motor broken in, too!

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 pm
by Bluefish2
I have not put in anything here for a while because I am working on the propping of the motor. Boat has had it's maiden voyage.
People at the ramp stopped complaining to the attendant when they heard I built the boat. I was asked quite a few questions about time money the usual stuff. Every one except me seems to like the paint job. It is better than I thought but still not up to the standards set by some of the builders here. There are still some places that need to be touched up and the lower rub rails will have to wait until fall after the season is over.
When we get some dry weather I will probably add some more coats of deck paintto clean up some weave that is showing a bit.
The very last batch of epoxy never hardened. only mixed six ounces fortuanately. and a second coating over most with extra hardener solved most of the issue. but anything that had wood flour in it I have to remove and refill.
I have a thread on the propping problem under the POWER BOATS heading if you are interested in following that.
BF2

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:17 am
by whosmatt
Congrats again on the splash, looks great. I'd not worry about the paint too much... it's just paint after all. Give it a while and a few run-ins with the dock, trailer, another boat, etc and you'll forget all about it. Mine's already got rash from the bow stop, a few scrapes from loading on the trailer, rubber from the docks, and a proper waterline (yeah, I know, it washes off) from all the drifting I do while fishing.

Oh, and get used to being asked about it at the ramp, it happens to me literally every time. If i can say one thing about it, it's that I have to keep spelling "bateau" for people. Apparently, most Americans don't take French in high school :P

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 pm
by Bluefish2
The boat runs fine but still working on the prop.
I had the following conditions this week end:
Bright sun, light breeze, 1-2 chop. breeze was on shore from the e-ne. in other words beautiful.
GPS showed 23mph and still increasing. Some what limited by the chop, and bad back that does not like bouncing. boat was just starting to come up on plane at ~3200 RPM's and fully up by 4500, flying by 5700. While I did go faster the boat traffic and sea state were making themselves felt, ouch! :(
We also had a close call with some fish, but they are safe. I told my buddy if there was no fishing moj we had to build another till we got it right. His comment was, been nice knowing you.

Made some additions to the boat.
Put in an electrical panel and wired for:
1. fish Finder
2. anchor light
3. Bow light, LED.
4. (my personal favorite) Bilge pump 450 Rule. Is this to small? The boat shop owner thought it was plenty. I am beginning to have my doubts.
Things I am plannning to do:
1. Add more foam
2. quite possibly adding a rear deck, A winter project.
3. more rod holders
4. definitely some 12volt power outlets.
5. The arch enemy of every fisherman, a 4' ruler glued to the side.
Mark

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm
by Cracker Larry
4. (my personal favorite) Bilge pump 450 Rule. Is this to small? The boat shop owner thought it was plenty. I am beginning to have my doubts.
If you ever really need that pump, then yes, it's too small. Good enough for nuisance water but not a catastrophe. In my OD 18, the bait tank pump is twice that size, and is rigged to double as a bilge pump if needed. The main pump is a 2000 Rule. I used the same size (2000) in my GF16 also. Don't screw around with little pumps, when you need one, you need a really good one, or 2 :wink: Boat size doesn't matter much in relation to pump size, because when you are sinking, you are sinking, and a big boat takes a lot longer to fill up and sink than a small boat does. Large boats often give you time to diagnose and fix the problem before it takes on enough water to sink, but small boats can fill up quick 8O Use that 450 for a bait pump, and get a real pump for the bilge.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 pm
by Bluefish2
Hi Larry,
Good information, thank you.
I actually have another pump installed that is twice the size. Not as fancy and has a float switch instead of being automatic. Just have not hooked it up yet.
I think the 2000 GPH will have to wait until Xmas. Just to much to do right now.
Mark

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:22 pm
by Bluefish2
We finally caught some fish! After four tries I told my buddy Jim we either catch fish or build a new boat!
There were four fish caught three on fly and one on spinning, the wind picked up and jim would not give up the flyrod.
His three fish, 23", 29" 32" out weighed mine by about 12lbs! Mine was a keeper, 28" minimum here.
Sorry about the picture quality.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:44 pm
by Bluefish2
After a mechanical failure of the plug in the boat I removed it, plugged the whole and waved the thing goodbye.
I was really shocked when the bige pump did not work. The day before it worked fine in a test bucket.

The other thing I did was add foam. which proved much easier than expected. Per Jacques instruction I drilled whole in the deck poured in foam and closed with bung and epoxy. Still need to dress things up a bit but quite useable. Will post pictures of solution at some point. There are definitely going to be some improvements over the winter
BF2