SmokyMountain's PH18 Build in E. TN****SPLASHED****

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SmokyMountain's PH18 Build in E. TN

Post by SmokyMountain »

How's this.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

That looks awesome. Nice layout!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

ciao
Last edited by Doc_Dyer on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Finally got all of the bulkheads, stringers and side / bottom panels cut out!! Cleaned up the shop and re-tooled for splicing.

I spliced the side panels tonight. Should have started splicing last night but forgot to notch the stringers after cleaning up the shop and laying panels out. :oops:

OHH the sweet smell of fresh epoxy....

On the side panels, I power planed the outside of each splice the thickness of the tape, so fairing will be easier. I won't do this on the main bottom panels. I figure the splice in near the bow won't be too bad and I'll use Cracker Larry's trick of laying extra glass between the two splices near the transom.

Hopefully I'll have a boat soon.... :o

I'm in the process of figuring out the dimensions / configuration of the stongback. Any tips would be appreciated.

Andrew

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

ciao
Last edited by Doc_Dyer on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

I've been busy ove the holidays.... all of the panels are spliced together, and the stongback is 99% completed. Bradley and I worked on the strongback and it was more of a pain than antisipated; especially the transom jig placement.

It looks like a boat!!! I quickly clamped a couple of bulkheads and attached the inside stringers.

I made some bulkhead molds, but I'm considering just using the real bulkheads; what are the advanatges / disavantages?

Andrew

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

SmokyMountain wrote:I made some bulkhead molds, but I'm considering just using the real bulkheads; what are the advanatges / disavantages? Andrew
Apart from double the cutting work and some extra bucks on frames there aren't any I think :doh:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

for the phantom you can use almost all frames as molds, the only exception being the middle frame(s) and even those could be pieced together to make a mold

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

for the phantom you can use almost all frames as molds, the only exception being the middle frame(s) and even those could be pieced together to make a mold
Good, I haven't cut out the interior of the middle mold (Bulkhead c) yet. I might make a modification that will change the side configuration. (Rod locker)

Apart from double the cutting work and some extra bucks on frames there aren't any I think

Peter,

That's what I though too, just making sure. I'll chalk up the mold cutting as practice before the real thing. :P

Thanks

Andrew

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

I used my real bulkheads for the mold, just seems like extra work using the extra molds.
What Shine is refering to is Bulkhead C, which is normally cut down to sole level (except for the sides) making it difficult to use as a Mold frame, but if you cut it partially and just leave notches to keep it all together it works well for the jig and then once it's in the boat and glassed in, it's just a case of cutting a few notches and out the extra parts comes