Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Majorgator's XF20

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Seth, great to see you are getting close to flipping your boat. It is looking good.
OK, so I'm going to check out this 1995 model 85 HP yamaha on Friday. The deal is $1100 for the complete motor, wires, controls, & gauges.
I am known for not being popular on here with my opinion, so I wil stay true to form and suggest buying something a little newer. A new Yamaha 50-70 should cost about 5k with controls and wiring. Check it out really good if you buy it. A fifteen year old outboard can be a big problem if it was not well taken care of. The boat can handle a big motor if you build it right :wink:
For an extra $100, I can get the 19 pitch SST prop. But I'm thinking that this pitch is no good for the XF20.
It might work with your prospective motor if it is a three blade, and it would probably be way too much if it is a four blade. I am not a prop guru but I am using a 13 pitch four blade prop on my boat. It has a little too much bite though I have ground it twice to relieve some of the cup.

Shot of the barge....

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I am known for not being popular on here with my opinion
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes that gets me in trouble with the "liberal-minded" folks I work with...but it still doesn't stop me :wink:

It does help to have a voice of reason from time to time. For this particular motor package, the price is right, but if the motor has been poorly maintained, no price is right. I'm going to think about this today; it may be too soon to be purchasing an older motor. At this very moment, it fits the budget, but I've still got a few months before I actually need it. Then again, if everything checks out OK, and the motor can get me by for a few years without any problems, it may be just what I need. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I sure do like my 70 Yamaha. And it's warranty :wink: :lol: Not that I've needed it. I can get the 70 Yamaha for 5K, without controls or prop.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

My grandfather has a 2001 (2002?) model 70 Yamaha. I don't think they've changed that design in at least 10 years :lol: They all look the same, everyone loves them, and they're tough. Hard to go wrong there Larry, :wink:
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Here are some pics I took today. The bottom has 2 coats of primer on it now. After doing those 2 coats, there were a few spots that stood out and some other areas that needed attention, so I mixed up some quik-fair took care of them. Plan on sanding the recently-faired areas tonight, then put the final coat of primer on.

One particular note: So far, I've made a home batch of fairing compound with epoxy, microballoons, and silica. However, after using the quik-fair today, I don't think I'll ever make my own compound again. :lol: Using quik-fair was head-over-heels better than my home batch in the "ease of use" category.

See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

obviously, my picture size is out of whack again... :x :x
See my XF20 Build Thread

Steven

Post by Steven »

This looks like a pretty good deal on a Yammy 90

http://smalloutboards.com/y9093.htm

Doesn't give the year.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Steven, I'll bet it's a 93 based on the last 2 numbers of the picture URL. I contacted them about the 40 for my boat and it is a 01 and I noticed that was the last 2 numbers. I think they base the site on the horsepower as the first 2 numbers and the year as the last. Just something I've noticed as I watch that site often.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

The 3rd (and last) coat of primer went on yesterday afternoon. It is evident to me that I should have done a little bit better at the fairing, but for the most part, it looks pretty good. The worst faired spots are on the dead bottom, so I'm not too concerned about them. I'll probably sand it down today, and get it prepared for S3 Top Coat. I think I've read every post from the last 2 years regarding whether to spray or roll & tip, even my own thread I started while back. At best, its been 50/50 with the people on this board, and I certainly do not want to start another discussion into which is the best method.

I've been itching to buy and HVLP sprayer anyway, so I think I'm going to go ahead with that notion. I'm going to try and spray the first coat, see how that turns out, then decide from there. If it looks nice, then I'll give it a shot with the 2nd coat, and so on. If it doesn't give me the results I'm looking for, then I'll switch to roll & tip. Regardless of how well it works, I want to spray the under-decks area after all the framing is in place. But if ANYONE asks, I'm buying the sprayer for trim work on my house :wink:
See my XF20 Build Thread

Steven

Post by Steven »

majorgator wrote:The 3rd (and last) coat of primer went on yesterday afternoon. It is evident to me that I should have done a little bit better at the fairing, but for the most part, it looks pretty good. The worst faired spots are on the dead bottom, so I'm not too concerned about them. I'll probably sand it down today, and get it prepared for S3 Top Coat. I think I've read every post from the last 2 years regarding whether to spray or roll & tip, even my own thread I started while back. At best, its been 50/50 with the people on this board, and I certainly do not want to start another discussion into which is the best method.

I've been itching to buy and HVLP sprayer anyway, so I think I'm going to go ahead with that notion. I'm going to try and spray the first coat, see how that turns out, then decide from there. If it looks nice, then I'll give it a shot with the 2nd coat, and so on. If it doesn't give me the results I'm looking for, then I'll switch to roll & tip. Regardless of how well it works, I want to spray the under-decks area after all the framing is in place. But if ANYONE asks, I'm buying the sprayer for trim work on my house :wink:
I'll watch this with much interest as I'm leaning the same way for paint. One thing to consider is the heat generated if you are using a turbine type sprayer. I'm planning on buying an extra length of hose and coiling it in a bucket of ice water to keep the temp down and prevent too quick a drying. I may still roll and tip the outside. It's really the inside with all the nooks and crannys and under decks that I can't stand the thought of roll and tip on.