Hagar's OD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hagar's OD18

Post by Cracker Larry »

I have a four legged buddy too. Posted his pic for Sam, maybe they are kinfolk. He's a realatively new addition, one year old last month. If he stops digging up the wife's flowers, we may not have to move out this sping! His name is Rogue.
He's a handsome fella for sure 8) Beautiful. Just ask him not to do that, they respond well to your wishes :lol: Sam recently turned 10 years old, and his b@tch Delilah is almost 12. Getting old is tough :(

Let's put a picture of Rogue here, that's a fine specimen of a boat dog :!:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

21 gallons of epoxy in my OD18. Don't even think about it is my advice. Use what you have to get good fillets and fully wetted cloth.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote:21 gallons of epoxy in my OD18. Don't even think about it is my advice. Use what you have to get good fillets and fully wetted cloth.
Craig, you don't happen to remember about where you were at on your boat with 15 to 16 gallons into it? Just wondering how close I'll come to that 21 gallon mark :doh:
Completed: FL14, OD18

cape man

Post by cape man »

Craig, you don't happen to remember about where you were at on your boat with 15 to 16 gallons into it? Just wondering how close I'll come to that 21 gallon mark
I was in the barn working on the boat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, can't remember. Probably somewhere around the time the sole was laid down. The decks and console took more than expected.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Need recomendations on a sander and sandpaper type/brand. I am currently using a 1/4 sheet finishing sander and Gator Red Resin paper from Lowe's. Buying full sheets and cutting for the 1/4 sheet. The sander is a Black & Decker Firestorm and although it is not one of the best brands, it is one of the fastest and has lasted so far. Only problem is, it is taking forever to sand and I am changing paper every 20 square feet or so, the stuff just quits cutting. Using 50 grit and it is not clogging, just dulling. I have a belt sander, but I seem to be able to gouge the heck out of something on occasion and don't want to do that. I used to have a pretty good touch with the 6 inch angle grinder and sandapaper pad, but, that was some years ago. I am thinking of investing in a good electric dual action. Any suggestions that may help on paper type/brand and if the da is the way to go?

On another note, I am sanded and ready to put the biax cloth to the hull, just lining up some help for mixing as I go, want to work wet-on-wet any time I can. In fact, that is my new goal, wet-on-wet unless absolutely undoable!

Hagar
Turning epoxy into dust, eventually leaving a boat behind....

cape man

Post by cape man »

Hagar,

I found the Norton sand paper to hold up MUCH longer than the Gator brand. I too bought full sheets and tore them down to 1/4 sheets. I used 60 grit for the rough stuff and could get twice the work done than with the red stuff.

I used a belt sander on the outside and paid the price. Looked really nice until I started the fairing process and then all the gouging and dips showed up. Spent lots of extra time and materials trying to fix it and I can still show you some places where it shows today. One of the things I wished I'd never done. Sanding sucks, but it is just a thing that takes some time to do right. There's a place for a belt sander, but you really need to be careful if the end result is a nice smooth surface.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Switch to the black Gator brand, which is made by Norton by the way. If you want to get a good sander get a random orbital one. Either Porter-Cable or DeWalt make good ones. They have dust ports and can be hooked to shop vacs making them even better at removing dust. 6" remove more faster do to there size than the 5" size but are more expensive. Get a hook and loop one. You can buy sanding discs in bulk pacs of 50 at Lowe's starting at 50 grit in the Black grit.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Have to agree with Tom on the Hook and Loop, I use PSA and it's ok if I keep my pad clean, but sometimes lose a good piece of sandpaper do to it not sticking :doh: I then have to clean my pad with acetone and then I'm good to go. I use a R/O air sander with a dust port, it's quieter than my electric, but then my compressor kicks on and it's noisy :doh: Either way you go it's all about the sanding which I love to do :D :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I also agree, random orbital, hook and loop, black Gator disks. I wore out a porter cable on 2 boats, got a Dewalt, it's got 2 boats behind it now. I did wear out the sanding pad, wore the hooks off, but was able to buy a replacement pad at Lowes for about $15.
If you've got the extra $, Festool is probably the best, but you could buy 4 Dewalts for the price of one Festool 8O
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

I have the Dewalt sander also, and its been through a lot and still is working fine. I have there screw gun and two drills too with no complaints .

Brian :)