Hagar's OD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hagar's OD18

Post by Larry B »

Hagar, ya got any pictures yet???? We love pictures,
Completed: FL14, OD18

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

That Festool looks like a quality sander, but kinda pricey! Will probably go with Dewalt, seams that Porter Cable is slipping in quality in last several years. Hook and loop too, sure would be easier to change pads without the glue deal. Thanks for all the input. Oh, and some of that black Norton stuff too!

Don't want you guys to think I am a cheapie when it comes to tools, most of mine are quality stuff. I have been kinda' out of touch with what's good these days is why I asked. I absolutely can't stand to be working along and have a tool fail, drives me insane....plus I know how to abuse them very well.

Pictures? Will post once I get a little more done, am basically not much further along than last pictures. I could send you a picture of the toy box I built for my buddy's daughter as that is what has cost me a weekend! It did give me a chance to try out the Quick Fair compund, nice stuff. Hope to have the outside glassed this weekend and maybe even work on splash rail and skegs.

Cape Man, I hear 'ya on the belt sander, I was never one to get any good finish with one of those. sooner or later it seams to catch an edge, throw me off and viola, big gouge.

Hagar
Turning epoxy into dust, eventually leaving a boat behind....

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I could send you a picture of the toy box I built for my buddy's daughter as that is what has cost me a weekend
Hope to have the outside glassed this weekend and maybe even work on splash rail and skegs.
That's going to be a cool toy box! :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote:
I could send you a picture of the toy box I built for my buddy's daughter as that is what has cost me a weekend
Hope to have the outside glassed this weekend and maybe even work on splash rail and skegs.
That's going to be a cool toy box! :lol: :lol:
Yea, and I want to see PICTURES, I'm serious, I'd like to see pictures of the toy box, might just build one for my grandaughters :D But of course they wouldn't need the splash rail or skeg :doh: There too young to take it out fishing 8O :lol: :D :lol: :wink: :wink: I built one for my daughters when they were little, and also a cradle, then a better cradle for my gransons, don't know where that is now :doh: it was pretty nice if I say so myself :D See Craig no backhanded bragging there :D :wink:

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

cape man wrote:Yea, and I want to see PICTURES, I'm serious, I'd like to see pictures of the toy box, might just build one for my grandaughters
posted a pic of the toybox for you in my gallery, nothin' fancy as it is made from common plywood, but servicable.

Got the transom and one side of the boat glassed today, will get the other side glassed in the morning. Used about one gallon of epoxy for that task.

I have a small issue with the sheet of biax, it has a section about an inch wide that is "monoaxial", i.e., it has one set of 45° fibers but is missing the other. CL, I think I noticed in your gallery that you had the same issue, how did you address it? I tried every way I could to move the cuts around to eliminate it but it was in a place that just would not let that happen and retain a full sheet. I am planning on just using it and maybe pulling some fibers from a piece of scrap to lay in there. maybe just use it and not worry about it as it is not so much structural since the seems are double taped?

Also, how do you guys do your wetting out, do you put the biax down dry and wet it out from the top, or put down a coat of epoxy, then put the biax down and wet out the top? I ask because once I cut it to fit the way I wanted, I rolled the sides up, wet out the sides, then rolled the biac back over it and wet it out. Once that was done, rolled back the bottom and wet it out, then rolled the sheet back over to wet it out. That's where the problems started, it just didn't want to go back where if was in the first place, had to fight bulges and slack. Got it done, but would have been a lot smoother job if wet out from the top while it was in place.

Check out my pics in the gallery, I am not too good at getting that peel ply down very well, are all those bubbles the norm or is it important to get them all out? Guess I will know tomorrow!

I deviated from advice and picked up a 6" pneumatic da as I thought that it would be better than an electric. Bad move unless I get a real two stage compressor. the guys at the local auto paint store said it needed 4cfm but my compressor runs at 6.5cfm @90psi and no way would it come close to running that thing for more than 15 seconds at proper speed. They were kind enough to let me return it so back to the sander search. I can not locate an electric da of the 90° type in the area where I live, may have to go with the 5" random orbital Dewalt from Lowe's, palm type and see what kind of job that will do.

Thanks again for all the help, will study up on how to put pics in the post for the future, sorry 'bout that.

Hagar

cape man

Post by cape man »

Where's the skeg?

I wet my cloth out from above. On the big pieces I always start at the middle and work my way out to the edges. The only places where I prewet was small pieces of tape inside the console.

Where is the area where the cloth is defective?

On posting pics. Open up the galleries in a separate tab online. Open your picture to enlarge it and right click on it . Highlight the properties by double clicking, and then right click and select "copy". Go back to your post on the other tab. Click on "Img " in the tool bar. This will give you something like this...[img][img]. Put your curser in the middle of that and hit paste. Voila!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Hagar, nice looking toy box, I like the rub rail look :D :wink: Maybe but a handle on the lid that looks like a skeg to make Craig happy :wink: :D

Hagar, I also wet my biax from the top. I roll on a wet coat, lay my glass so it will stick to the coat I just rolled and then just wet it out from the top.

I use a air sander and yes it needs Alot of air. I've got a large 2 stage that will keep up with it so it works good. Only wish I would have got the hook and loop.

Looking like your makeing progress, keep up the good work and any questions just post them and someone will answer.

Keep the pictures coming

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Forget my question on the peel ply, it is a disaster. Made a couple of errors here, one is waiting until the whole side and stern were wet out, should probably put this on once done with a section. Two, I used the heavier thickness (4 mil) poly as I thought it would be easier to keep the wrinkles out, but it was more difficult to lay down because of the creases from being folded up. I am thinking thinner stuff, apply sooner and take more care in the roll out of it. I will now have to wait for that epoxy to cure well enough to sand without clogging the paper and create another ton of dust. That puts me another weekend behind as I can't get to it today as it is my son's birthday..

Hagar

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's the same results I always get when I try using plastic for peel ply :? I gave up on it, I can do a much smoother job with a roller and plastic squeegee, and with a lot less sanding. Some folks seem to get good results, but I never have.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I agree with Larry, the one time I tried it it did that as well. I can do a better job with a 4" foam roller & a squegee.
If I build again I may buy some proper peel ply, but it is MHO, that the plastic is more hassle than it's worth.
Nice looking build 8)
Steve