Fishwater's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Chronicles of an FS18

Post by sitandfish »

Dogfish and Tex, I really like this photo. I've seen pictures of this build before but, this is the first shot that shows me that this build is the closest to Jacques original design as I have ever seen. Pretty sure this is how I would want to build it. Open frames. Light where possible. Guess we will have to just keep posting pictures of Alex's boat if Tex won't post pictures of his. :lol: We have to look at something. I'm only interested in the pictures. Like with Playboy. I'm not interested in the electronics reviews! :roll:
That's enough ribbing on Texastail for one day. At least by me. :wink:

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

sitandfish, I agree with you on the boat, it is as close as you can get to the plans, and a fine job doing so.

Brian :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've seen that boat in person, and she is sweet 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

I finally uploaded some pictures from the camera. Let me just say that technology, while extremely useful, is a big pain in @SS!

Here are a few of her stitched:

Here are a couple of her nearly ready for glass. I still have a bit more sanding to do.

I'm hoping to get the glass on in two weeks. I wasn't supposed to be able to do any work on it during the month of May due to a really busy schedule. However, I've found a Sunday the wife will be working so I'm planning on glassing the exterior wet on wet with the help of my brother in law.

Incidentally, as I was uploading the pictures onto the computer, my wife came in the room and asked me if I was excited about the boat. I responded "Not as excited as I'll be once she's on the trailer headed for the coast." I asked her if she was excited about it. Her response was "I honestly didn't know how you were going to build a boat out of the supplies that came in the five boxes that had been sitting in our living room for a month. But I'm happy that you're doing it."

I still haven't decided on a name. I'm down to about five. If that's the biggest worry I have, I'm doing alright.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Looks like a ticked off porcupine :lol:

Know you've got an instant boat :D Looking good 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Last edited by Dog Fish on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Although Sitandfish seems to have gotten quiet now that pics are up.

In anticipation of glassing in ten days, I ordered 3 quarts of quick fair so I won't have to stop the build. I also ordered some extra glass to put on the sides, decks, gunwales and sole. I'm really tempted to begin glassing the chines, keel, and transom edges but will likely hold off until I have time to do all of the bottom glass wet on wet.

I'm already beginning to see areas that will have to be faired. I've already envisioned telling myself to just move on to painting as I'll probably never be able to get it perfect.

Any other FS18 builders have an estimate as to the quantities of primer and paint I'll need for this project?

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Texas, I actually made a post right after you posted your progress pictures and then hit the wrong button and it went away. All I had intended to say was. I love the lines. Looking GREAT!

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

texastail wrote:Any other FS18 builders have an estimate as to the quantities of primer and paint I'll need for this project?
Most of the previous FS18 builders are too busy fishing right now to be blogging. :lol: I wonder if the FS17-Low Shear is of similar size? Might be similar surface area. Joel (Shine) has a VERY thoroughly documented build of his FS17 and I noticed he put information like this on it:

"Rolled on a little System Three primer. Two coats on port side and transom, only 1 so for on starboard. Have used a total of 1 quart so far... Overall, Im very pleased. I kept looking for dips or wiggles, but could not see anything but minor fills." -Shine

Here is the link to his build. http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16831
I think he started painting on page 10 or so.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Thanks Sitandfish. Joel gave me a pretty good idea of what I'll need.

I finished sanding last night and am ready to glass. I must say that sanding isn't all that bad. For me, it's a way to forget about everything else that's going on in life and really concentrate on getting the shape perfect. I may sing a different tune once I begin fairing, but for now, I enjoy sanding.
I had a friend swing by last night and his comment was "Man, you really built a boat." I told him there's a lot left to do, but it has the shape I'm looking for.