FS17 build getting.... SPLASHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 build getting underway

Post by chicagoross »

I've used MarinEpoxy fromo this site for the past few builds, but used AeroMarine for the presious two. 5 and 6 years later no problem with the epoxy, and the guy there is really helpful. It does blush, though so be aware - you may have some extra scrubbing and sanding.

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

capnmike wrote:[ I've never used any type of epoxy before but according to the specs it's as strong or stronger than anything out today.
My previous experience with epoxy was with generic stuff from US Composites. I got used to working with it (used about 7 gallons) and then bought a quart or two of MAS to finish up a few tasks at the end of the project. I couldn't tell any difference except for the price, and perhaps that the generic stuff was more clear when first mixed. Read a bit about "amine blush," supposedly that is the difference with the $$ stuff.

For all those concerned about the dog, I promise I won't allow her to eat anything she shouldn't. I wish I had video of me carrying those 16' 2x6s across the yard, and her trying to drag one with her mouth. Priceless.

I'm taking it slow, learning how to use my tools again (it's been a while). I lost a bit of time and some particle board to the learning curve with my new circular saw, but I drew out my transom tonight and made my first cuts in the real stuff. It really smells good, i can see why the dog thinks it's food.

Cheers,

Matt

edit: i didn't see the previous post until after i first posted this, but thanks... i'm not really trying to be a cheapskate, just trying to support local businesses and maybe not give UPS any more of my money :D
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

It's the dust in the air that gets the dog, child, even you if you don't wear a respirator when sanding. :|
Daddy

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Hey, just to be clear, I don't let my dog or children or anyone else for that matter, in the garage area while sanding is happening. Actually, not until all of the dust is all vacuumed up and damp mopped. I didn't mean to infer that epoxy/fiberglass dust was ok to be around, just assumed we all knew better and didn't think to mention that. Thanks to all for clearing that up.

Hagar
Turning epoxy into dust, eventually leaving a boat behind....

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Hey Matt,
Any progress on this vessel? Interested in following this one.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Bowmovement wrote:Hey Matt,
Any progress on this vessel? Interested in following this one.

Matt
Yep. I have a Picasa web album up of fuzzy iPhone pictures (not about to get epoxy/dust around my good camera). I built the frame for the strongbacks today, struggled with it as the beams are not entirely straight. I ended up with something I hope will work. Haven't braced the legs yet, wanted to get it upright and put a bit of weight on it before adding final bracing. I'm sure i'm running into all the trials and tribulations of a first time builder, the transom lamination isn't pretty but it's very strong :D. I'm pretty sore from hitting it for three days straight.
http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.boswell/BoatBuild#
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Nice looking strongback.....one thing tho' i'd brace the legs both ways, the hull gets heavy, & you want to be as stable as you can.
Steve

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

steve292 wrote:Nice looking strongback.....one thing tho' i'd brace the legs both ways, the hull gets heavy, & you want to be as stable as you can.
Steve
I plan to brace it, just ran out of time last night. I do want to put some weight on it before I brace it-- make sure it remains level, that sort of thing.

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

I've got my jig mostly assembled, new pics are up on the picasa album. Used a water level to level it as well as I could and pulled a taut string across the center line; lined up all my molds to that. Need to shore them up and make sure they are lined up nicely and in a proper plane. It's starting to resemble a boat. I like that.

-M

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

I only made a little progress today; I re-checked everything and found that I had missed my original alignment between A and B, so everything was a little off. Corrected that, lots of measuring, and threw the transom on there. It took a while, but I have gotten everything as square as I can get it, measuring from the corner of mold B to the corner of the transom (diagonal) gives me about 1/4" (137.375 vs 137.625) difference between sides. Since the plans say that's good enough, I'm gonna roll with it. Should begin stitching tomorrow.

-M