FS17 build getting.... SPLASHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 build getting underway

Post by whosmatt »

Stitched today -- had a bit of a tough time as my bottom panels were binding at the keel forward of mold C and keeping the bottom from sitting down on the stringers. I climbed up there with my trusty angle grinder and shaved off enough to create a nice gap and allow them to lay down better. One thing that is perturbing me a bit is that one corner of my transom is definitely showing the 1/4" discrepancy in the diagonal, pictured below:

another view:

I feel confident, having worked with epoxy before, that I can make this very strong and pleasing to the eye with a bit of work. But, I'm a bit worried about the symmetry. Shall I just carry on?

Everything else seems pretty good. The bow, mercifully, seemed to come together fine. There is a low spot near the chine on the port side but it's well within the reach of fairing. My picasa gallery has some pics (taken with a real camera!) of the hull as it stands from multiple angles both inside and out. Here's the link again: http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.boswell/BoatBuild#

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Well, you want the boat to be square, but as long as it is square then the gaps are actually kinda good. One of the thigns I did wrong at first was trying to make everything a tight fit and that left no room for epoxy. A small gap is good from what I hear.

So I guess, my suggestion is to check the hull for squareness and if all is well forget about it :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Well, I checked my diagonals from the corner of frame B to the transom corner and they were 1/4" off, which the plans say is ok. So I think that's where the discrepancy comes from. Not sure how best to measure now that the hull is stitched.
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Well stop worrying and start building :D One of the best aspects of this composite construction method is that thigns don't have to be perfect. 8)

George

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Looking good Matt :D

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Didn't work on the boat too much during the week, but I did spend some time making sure everything was square. Last night I mixed up some epoxy and saturated the edges of the wood:

Today, I mixed a batch of putty w/ wood flour and spot-welded the hull together:

Epoxy is taking a long time to cure right now due to the cool weather we've been having, but today was nice, and the hull seems to have set up nicely. One note, if you recall my lamentation in a previous post about the gaps @ the transom, I picked up the bow and gave it a hard shove toward the transom and that seemed to move all the hull panels back on the jig a little better; everything seems to fit great now, and a quick measurement with a string from the bow tip to all four corners of the transom looks good. Plus, the hull is laying a little tighter on the stringers forward of mold C now.

I've got a Porter-Cable 6" RO sander w/ vacuum kit (you know the one, i'm sure) arriving on Monday. Probably won't get a lot of work done this week as my sister is coming to visit but looking forward to getting on with the build. One nice part of this process is that I don't have to rush... need to save for a trailer and down payment on the motor (If I decide to go new) anyway.

-M

edit: anyone have a good source (local or online) for abrasives?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Napa carries quality abrasives or grab your local phone book and find am automotive paint store, they will have good stuff. The money you spend buying good abrasives will be saved by them lasting longer and doing the job better. With cheap sand paper the grit will rub off quickly and cost more in the long run due to using more sheets.

I think they sell abrasives through bateau.com as well

speedgoat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by speedgoat »

Congratulations on starting your new build. I'm currently in the process of deciding which plan I will go with.

Just curious, what made you decide on the FS17? That's one of the plans I'm considering, but I'd appreciate hearing your decision criteria.

I'm also in San Diego. I live in Point Loma, and if you ever need any help with anything let me know. I'd be glad to help out however I can.

Good Luck

-Scott

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Welcome -

I chose the FS17 because I wanted something small and relatively light (don't need a truck to tow) and sea-worthy.

I wanted it to perform well with 30hp or so, weigh ~1500lbs with motor, trailer, gear, etc., and be able to get out of the bay and explore in good weather. Plus, it's a good-looking boat, you have to admit :D.

Another Matt, Bowmovement, is also a SD (county if not city, not sure exactly) resident....

I am doing my best to do all the work that I can myself, but there will come a time when I need those extra hands... when I flip, I plan to cook on the grill and get some good beer and invite folks over to lend a hand... I'll probably need all the help I can get then!

-Matt
Last edited by whosmatt on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

A general update -- Got the seams taped last night. I was a bit worried about my radiusing but everything seems ok with the exception of a few spots around the transom. I felt like I was taking a LOT of material off but apparently not enough. I've dealt with air bubbles before; I'll take the grinder, knock em down, fill with epoxy putty before i put the wide glass on. I did everything all at once, so the seams that get 2 layers of tape got them both in one application.
laying it all out dry:

and wet: