FS17 build getting.... SPLASHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS17 build getting underway

Post by Lower »

Looking good Matt. I've been watching your thread and have been meaning to post. It's fun to see the boat start to come together. Keep up the good work. Look foward to the next pics...should be a hull all fiberglassed!

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

whosmatt wrote:
Another Matt, Bowmovement, is also a SD (county if not city, not sure exactly) resident....

I am doing my best to do all the work that I can myself, but there will come a time when I need those extra hands... when I flip, I plan to cook on the grill and get some good beer and invite folks over to lend a hand... I'll probably need all the help I can get then!

-Matt
I live up in North County. Carlsbad area actually. Whenever you need some help just hollar. I am free most of the time, except Tuesday nights, company softball team.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Lower wrote:Looking good Matt. I've been watching your thread and have been meaning to post. It's fun to see the boat start to come together. Keep up the good work. Look foward to the next pics...should be a hull all fiberglassed!
Yep. That's coming this weekend. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Looking forward to seeing some more of your build.

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Bowmovement wrote:
I live up in North County. Carlsbad area actually. Whenever you need some help just hollar. I am free most of the time, except Tuesday nights, company softball team.

Matt
I'm down in City Heights, Cherokee Point actually, just between the 805 and the 15 before they merge. I work in Carlsbad, though, at a software company just off Palomar Airport Road, so I make the drive every day. It can be trying, but I ain't complaining. Lots of folks haven't got work.... anyway, looking forward to meeting some folks.

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

whosmatt wrote:
Bowmovement wrote:

Matt
I'm down in City Heights, Cherokee Point actually, just between the 805 and the 15 before they merge. I work in Carlsbad, though, at a software company just off Palomar Airport Road, so I make the drive every day. It can be trying, but I ain't complaining. Lots of folks haven't got work.... anyway, looking forward to meeting some folks.

-M
I also work off of Palomar Airport Rd. Just moved up here from Lemon Grove. Used to make the same drive. I know your pain.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Just got done glassing the port side. This was my first time not coating the wood w/ epoxy before laying out the glass, but with pieces this big, I just couldn't do it that way.

Glass laid out:

Epoxy measured:

I'm using 3:1 so the combo makes an even pint. I should have (and will) use larger batches for the next part.

The result:

For some reason, I brought the big piece up this far and then stopped (i think it was because I didn't want to drag my glass in the dirt).
So, I took the part I trimmed from where it hangs over the sheer and glassed it on like this:

It's probably going to cost me in fairing.... Thinking I'll probably do the other side the same way so at least it's symmetrical :P

-M

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Ok. starboard side done. This one went a little quicker... I used the roller, chip brush and laminate roller and just poured the epoxy straight from the mixing cup and worked it from there.

Cloth rolled out:

Jello shooters for boat builders :D

Ended up with a pencil shaving in there somehow (when I was taping the chine):

done!!!!! (with the easy part) :D :D

if it wasn't for that stitching, i'd just leave it like this. it's pretty:

-M

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Working on getting the transom glass on this morning... question about what comes next. Study plans say to fair now and install the rubrail as the last step before flipping, but many build threads show the rubrail coming before fairing. Just wondering what advantages/disadvantages there are to either as the next step.

Thanks,

-M

PS (an edit): is 2" wide ply enough for the rubrail? I plan to do 3 layers of 6mm.

PPS (another edit): found posts in lungboy's build thread that suggested 45mm so i'm going with that, or the 1.75" equivalent.

speedgoat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by speedgoat »

Looking good Matt. Getting that done has to be a good feeling.

If any of you SD boys are up for getting a beer and talking boats, fishing, or anything else some time, let me know. I think having a few like-minded local folks around during a boat build could be a handy thing.

I also happen to like drinking beer with like-minded folks. :D

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

speedgoat wrote:Looking good Matt. Getting that done has to be a good feeling.

If any of you SD boys are up for getting a beer and talking boats, fishing, or anything else some time, let me know. I think having a few like-minded local folks around during a boat build could be a handy thing.

I also happen to like drinking beer with like-minded folks. :D
I'm nearly always down with that :D. In addition, I'm pretty new to the area (have lived here less than a year) and am kinda on the outs w/ the wife (not because of the boat!) so I could probably stand to meet some people. Matt (the other one), you in? Also, either of you guys are welcome to stop in and have a look at the build. I'm not entirely proud of everything but it's my first try at this so I expect a few trials and tribulations.