OB19 in SW FL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB19 in SW FL

Post by wadestep »

Wet on wet is the way to go. Is your garage air conditioned?
Yes it is air conditioned. I bought 4'x8' sheets of styrofoam at Home Depot, and cut them to fit the back of my garage door since it faces west. I also had a whole bunch of insulation blown into the attic above the garage. Then I got one of those portable air conditioners and vented it through the pedestrian door. It may have cost about $600 or so do do all that, but being an air conditioned 84 degrees is SOOOOOO much better than a hot and humid and still 97. That $600 sped up my build time by 4-6 months, I'd bet.
I did the same thing with mine. Having met your wife, the structural engineer, I'd bet you're getting some outside influence in that "thinking" department
You're 100% correct. Having a structural engineer review your ideas/work is definatly a learning experience :!: FWIW, she's really impressed with the boat strength.
It's good to see I'm in good company with this overthinking thing. :wink:

Looks great so far Wade. I agree wet on wet is the way to go. Even if you are sore and exhausted for the next few days

Very clean work.

Will

Thanks for the words of encouragement. You're right, I'd be wet-on-wet saves at least 1-2 hours for every hour you spend. The back will only be sore for a couple more days...
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Swamp Skiff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Swamp Skiff »

Looks great Wadestep. I'm in N Ft Myers, if you need some help flipping the hull or something else just let me know. Love to check out the built some time one way or another.
Swamp

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Looking great!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Swamp Skiff wrote:Looks great Wadestep. I'm in N Ft Myers, if you need some help flipping the hull or something else just let me know. Love to check out the built some time one way or another.
Thanks for the offer- I'm sure I could use any/all help I can get during the flip! You are welcome to come by most weekends if I'm home. There's not a whole lot to see right now, however, as it is in the fairing process. It'll probably be more interesting in a couple months after the flip.
email = wadestep at yahoo dot com
cape man wrote:Looking great!
Thanks - I'm finally getting back on it this weekend after a 2 week hiatus. (vacationing)

wade

Swamp Skiff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Swamp Skiff »

Sure, I can "supervise" with the best of them! LOL! Just let me when you get close. I'll drop you a line about coming for a visit soon. Thanks for the offer.
Swamp

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Ran into a snafu over the weekend. I finally got a really straight-edge that's 6' long and sized up the flattness of the running surface. For comparison a nickle is 0.077" thick (vs 1/8" is .125", 1/16" is .0625). So, I figured I won't be worried at all about 1/16" over 6 feet. Also will just do a little extra fairing with 1/8". However, I won't tolerate 2 nickles worth of warp.

Well, problem. There is a hook in the keel. I can fit 2 nickles under the straight edge for about 20" fore-aft, and 16" side-to-side. At the worst spot, 3 nickles fit. This is roughly centered 3 feet forward of the stern, at the keel. Even if I move the straight edge forward off the transom tape, I still have roughly the same problem. And the outside of the hull is fully glassed already. I don't know what really happened, the chines are perfect, and 1/2 way from the keel to the chine is perfect. The problem is centered at the keel.

So here's my expected solution: take some 12 oz cloth and cut 2 ovals, one about 4" bigger than the other. Laminate them on top of each other, centered in the dip, bigger one underneath. I'm hoping that will fill in most of the dip (hook). Then fill the rest with fairing compound, to no greater than 1 nickle's worth of hook, then call it good. What do you guys think?
:help:
Wade

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

wade look at smokeymountains solution to his problem
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Perfect. That's exactally what I had in mind - I'm glad it's worked for someone else first! I've got 2 layers of 'glass curing right now, will re-check with the straight edge tonight to see where I stand.

Thanks for the picture
wade

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

that is fine. You could have faired it out and structurally it would have been fine, but filling it systematically with pieces of cloth will make fairing MUCH easier.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Fairing and sanding, fairing and sanding. Not much to show in the way of pictures right now, but I've been busy. I got my keel "hook" fixed to just over 1 nickle's width with 2 pieces of overlapped cloth. Right now, i'm about 1/4 way through sanding the second coat of fairing with fairing compound and Marinepoxy. LOTS of sanding going on.

I'm having a hard time finding locally 5" hook and loop 40 grit sandpaper. I can find 60 grit hook and loop, or 40 grit stick-on at Home Depot. However, the 60 grit is a lot slower, and the stick on has no holes, so it's a lot dustier. Any ideas about where to order 40 grit hook and loop?

Also - I'm using Norton's 3X paper. It's a lot better than the next option. It there any better paper out there or not?

thanks for the ideas...
wade