TW28 Stoere meid

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: TW28 Stoere meid

Post by vla »

An evaluation after another two years of sailing with the Stoere meid.
In 2022 we sailed to Berlin and the lake area above (Mecklenburgische seenplatte). a beautiful trip. We had about 4 months to do this.
In 2023 it was France's turn. Sailed the northern French canals via the Meuse, to the Saone and finally to the Rhone. Our final destination was Aigues Mortes near the Mediterranean Sea. We then sailed back to Valence. We left the boat there for the winter. We drove home by train.
The journey in numbers.
Sailed 1848 km
314 locks (including Bolene lock with a drop of 23 meters)
266 operating hours
425 liters of diesel
Average use (425 : 266=) 1.6 liters per hour!
2024 we are going to pick up the Stoere meid. We then sail back home over the Saone, Doubs and Rhine.
A couple of photos:
Attachments
Terug.jpg.jpg
Grau du Roi.jpg.jpg
Avignon.jpg.jpg
Reims.jpg.jpg
Dinant.jpg.jpg
Namen.jpg.jpg
Maastricht.jpg.jpg
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It is great to see folks getting lots of use out of their boats! That looks like some amazing trips you are taking.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Vla great seeing you getting so much use of your TW28. Remember watching you building her. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Looks good, because of the stupid Brexit we are now limited in the time we can spend on the Canals in Europe, Talk about an act of national suicide. Been working on the inside of my boat during the winter and when I can figure out how to post a picture I will send some up-dates. The fuel rates look really good, it's a very economical boat. Any idea how much ballast you put onboard at the start. Unfortunately will have to take a break from the boat just had a melanoma removed from my back and the Doctors said no manual work for 4 weeks but I think I will start a bit before that. Have you sailed her in rough water if so what's she like as I will be in the north sea as soon as I leave the River Crouch estuary were we live.

vla
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by vla »

colinhart wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:42 am Looks good, because of the stupid Brexit we are now limited in the time we can spend on the Canals in Europe, Talk about an act of national suicide. Been working on the inside of my boat during the winter and when I can figure out how to post a picture I will send some up-dates. The fuel rates look really good, it's a very economical boat. Any idea how much ballast you put onboard at the start. Unfortunately will have to take a break from the boat just had a melanoma removed from my back and the Doctors said no manual work for 4 weeks but I think I will start a bit before that. Have you sailed her in rough water if so what's she like as I will be in the north sea as soon as I leave the River Crouch estuary were we live.
An English friend of ours has the same problems. She would like to visit her children in Brittany often. She has applied for a visa and can now go to France as often as she wants.
I hope that the melanoma can be removed successfully and I understand your urge to return to work sooner. Boat building is a serious addiction.
We have brought an estimated total of 500 kg of ballast on board. Especially for the bow. Otherwise the boat will lie slightly back in the water. I know that Peter Lus also did something similar on board the Luka.
Sailing on open water. We sailed on the Wadden Sea in good weather Bf 3. That is no problem, on the Mediterranean it was a little more restless Bf 4 or 5. Then it is a small boat so you have to pitch a bit and be careful when rolling. (I don't know if this is a correct translation of pitch and roll). But it is doable, just make sure you secure everything. So I think that on a calm day the crossing to the mainland should not be a problem. First from Creeksea to Ramsgate and then the crossing to Dunkirk?
Sailing in France is a party! (Don't forget to buy a vignette at the VNF, about 275 euros for a whole year). I understand that many Brits want to go to France, but don't forget Belgium and the Netherlands!
If you are going to make the crossing, send me an email and I will see if I can be on the reception committee together with Peter. There has never been an international TW28 meeting, so it must happen!
TW28 Stoere meid, the best boat for long trips

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

Thanks for the info really helpful. I went over the top by putting two fuel tanks in for a total of 430 litres and about the same for water so this will be appro 830 kg when full. Put the water tanks at the centre of gravity so hopefully will only go up as they empty. There is a space under the bed at the bow which I will be able to fill with ballast.
Re the melanoma they have taken it off waiting for the results to see if anything else needs doing. Sitting around doing nothing is driving me crazy. Doing some studying of navigation as I am doing the RYA yacht master coastal course in March. I am so looking forward to be able to set sail. Did the cross channel once some time ago in a 38foot sailboat from Ramsgate aiming for Calais but the wind shifted and ended up in Ostend it was great fun.