texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

Post by tech_support »

Looking good. That gap is no problem, put some tape on the outside, make a nice big fillet on the inside, lay in your tape (edges offset). Its actuallay ideal in composite sandwich to go to single skin (no core) in areas like the keel/bow/chine. After all the overlaps your going to have well over 3/8" off glass there.
texasrds wrote: On a slightly different subject - I am planning on using the rigid rubrail/flexible insert sold here at BBC and the question is should I go ahead and do the full laminated rubrail per the plans (1/4" ply in 3 layers) or would that possibly change due to using the commerical rub rail sold here on BBC? One or two layers instead of three or something entirely different to support that system. I know the rubrails are structural so that is why I'm asking.

You need to still use the laminated plywood per the plans, it is structural. The plastic rubrail is not structural, it will not stiffen up the boat, so you need the laminated wood one, and you can add the plastic for protection and looks

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

The gap in mine was about the same. I'd show you a pic but I can't find it right now :doh: Technical difficulties..

Anyway, from the outside I put a piece of plastic over the gap and covered and secured it with duct tape. I left a little slack in the plastic to form the continuation of the bow shape. Then from the inside I made a big fillet as Joel said, then built that up with layers of tape.

Finally found a pic

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Thanks for your comments Shine and CL. I'm in better shape than I thought with the bow then (that's scary). Speaking of scary, drilling that first hole into the plywood to start stitching was tough (putting a hole in perfectly good wood for a boat) but now after at least 50 3/8" holes drilled in the boat it's like well that's just another one to fill. Feels like I will be filling holes for a week. lol.
I will work on getting the bow shaped with plastic and tape and filled as ya'll recommended, get the upper panels positioned and zipped in place and then go from there. Also noted as per Shine I will do the rubrails as per the plans and then add the BBC rubrail over that when the time comes.

Appreciate it! Randy.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

I got the 1/2" bow gap filled this week so far. I took some light gauge pvc and ripped it to fit over the outside of the gap in the bow and then duct taped it in place. Mixed some glue and used a fillable caulking tube and gun to apply. I think it came out pretty dang good with a very nice smooth surface that makes a great bullnose and came out flush at the sides. Since I had zip tied small lengths of pvc on the inside of the bow stem I had to do this in small sections and not one continuous fill and stagger the timing but it all came together. I have also made up the blocks to help in securing the upper panels in place and will start the installation process on those here this weekend.

Front shot

Side shot

Ripped pvc acting as a form

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Cool, looks like it worked good to me :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Yes, I had the same deal with mine.
Completed: FL14, OD18

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

I saw your pic there Larry B of the gap and will have to contend with that myself. I also after trial fitting my upper panels again ended up the same as yours with what seems to be a slight bow droop. I find it interesting that we ended up with what I would say is an identical issue with the way the very front of the upper panels fit and give that slightly droopy look. I will most likely be doing something like you did to even out both panels "bow line" to give it that upward sweep. Thanks for your posting.

Randy.

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Well it has been a couple of weeks or so since my last post. I have finally gotten the upper panels glued in place (what a pita when by yourself!). Particulary when two of your alignment blocks strip out and pop off when bending the first panel in place with the glue on. Good Grief. Needless to say I redid all the alignment blocks on the other side before attempting the next one. During the fitting of the panels prior to the installation I decided that I would address the "bow" droop and did as Larry B had done and added a piece to each of the upper panels to bring a more positive upswing to the front of the sheer line. Thanks Larry B for posting those screen shots in your builders section as they were a great help.

Starboard side upper panel

Port side upper panel

Bow shot with upper panels in place and showing extended sheer line

I have also been tabbing the inside joints and bulkheads/forms in place to support the flip here in the near future. Continuing on................

Randy.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Looking good!! Glad to hear your back at it, Randy. If you need an extra pair of hands to flip give me a ring. I was in Port A this past weekend sticking flatties and shootin' quackers.

Picked up some silica and milled fibers from my buddy's shop off Saratoga today. Going to start gluing on mine this week.
Later, Don

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Thanks Don. I just might end up taking you up on your offer for an extra pair of hands. The flip is one thing even I won't be able to manage on my own. Same here as well since we are just a few miles apart and your back at it again with your boat. I saw numerous boats out this weekend with their lights on making their way along the shorelines in the back bays between Aransas Pass and Port A. Assumed it was flatties.

As far as the boat goes, still tabbing the inside joints in prep for the flip and need to figure out what kind of frame/bracing to build to support the boat once its flipped. Hope to have it ready to flip in the next couple of weeks or so.

Randy.