texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

Post by texasrds »

Alright guys. I'll be ordering the stainless steel PowerTech prop this week. Drilled 16 holes in a perfectly good sole of the boat this weekend and got the T-Top lower legs installed. Now I have to move the boat out of the garage to finish installing the T-Top and install the motor.

Randy.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

texasrds wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:34 pm Alright guys. I'll be ordering the stainless steel PowerTech prop this week. Drilled 16 holes in a perfectly good sole of the boat this weekend and got the T-Top lower legs installed. Now I have to move the boat out of the garage to finish installing the T-Top and install the motor.

Randy.
So will it be getting wet before 2018?

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Yes, I'm am trying to get it splashed by the end of the year!

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Do you have any pictures of your T-Top installation? It would be very interesting to see. Thanks.
Alan.

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Well, I'll give a try at describing what I did for getting the T-Top legs installed. I must have had way to much coffee when I took my limited pics as most came out blurry but here the best of them.
I have gone through a variety of ways of mounting the T-Top including the manufacturers recommendation of simply mounting with 1/4" by 2" stainless screws while bedding the foot of each leg in 5200, Cracker Larry's method of drilling and filling the space created under the floor with epoxy with a sacrificial 1/4" bolt and several other methods. I'll mention here that I did when installing the sole originally add additional backing plates (3/4" marine ply) where the feet of the T-Top would eventually go. For better or for worse I ended up using a different kind of mechanical attachment for my T-Top as you'll see below.

I used the legs of course to setup, measure and locate where I wanted them to sit in relation to the center console and marked all sixteen hole locations. In addition, the legs have a connection point on the center console wherein I drilled the needed 3/8" horizontal hole in the leg cross bars and then a corresponding hole in the center console. I drilled the holes (in a perfectly good solid, flat and hole-less sole I might add) and then used a drill with a allen wrench inserted using the short leg inserted into the hole to clear out some of the foam from beneath the hole in the sole.
I then inserted into each of the holes a 1/4" heavy duty toggle bolt and then filled the cavity and the hole with 5200 (I used a caulking gun and the tubes of 3M 5200). Here is a pic of what is called a Toggler. Each individual toggle should with the wood be rated in the 700 to 1000 lb range for strength. Each of the Togglers basically has zip ties built into it and you "zip" the center piece down all the way to the hole and it holds the Toggle centered in place. You then snap off the protruding zips and it is pretty close to flush.
Here again, I filled as much of the cavity and the hole with 5200, laid down a layer of 5200 covering the entire foot of each leg as recommended by the T-Top manufacture, I then inserted a 1/4" x 3" bolt into each of the feet to hold the leg in place and moved up to the center console connection and installed it completely. Once that was done I then moved back down to the feet and inserted the rest of the bolts and tightened them all down.
I'll go back a take a few better pics showing the final look of the install.

Hopefully this is a little clearer than mud. They do seem to be very solid as I have tugged and pulled and see and feel no flex whatsoever.

Randy.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Randy, thanks for posting. I hadn’t ever considered using toggle bolts but that seems like a very good idea. I love how your boat is turning out, great job mate.
Alan.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Randy did you get your prop and if so how did it perform.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Hey Tom,

I just ordered the prop today. I've been sick the last week or so and haven't gotten outside to finish anything up. Will post pics of completed boat here shortly and try and get it in the water before the end of the year and will update on the performance.

Randy.