texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: texasrds OD18 build mid-coast Texas

Post by tech_support »

If you want a better fit, you can cut your rub rail pieces to match the upper side panel (at sheer line), then when you bend it around it will match the the shape perfectly. The downside is it makes for a good amount of waste vs cutting straight strips.

I like temporary screws for clamps :wink:

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Here are a few pics of the plywood rub rail install. Finally got those done after coming up about 40 linear feet short of 1/4" Aquatek for the rub rail strips. Nothing that an eight hour round trip for more ply to Houston didn't cure but..... I did end up using temporary screws for clamps in the hard to bend areas so thanks for the tip guys. Oh btw - I'm sure it has been mentioned here on the forum numerous times but Tractor Supply carries a wide range of sizes of syringes (in the animal / vet med section) that can be used to fill those left over screw holes with glue. Definitely work well and they are inexpensive. Starboard and Port side rub rails are three layers of 1/4" ply while on the transom I just used some of my 3/4" ply scrap since it was a nice easy straight run. This weekend is the weekend to flip her for the first time so I can get to work glassing the bottom.

Starboard side

Port side

Transom shot

Randy.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Looking good :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

She looks great Randy 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

very clean rubrail, nice work

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Nice job Randy. Also before you have to go to Houston, give me a buzz. I might be able to help out. Anyway looking good.

Don

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Thanks guys. She is now officially flipped (for the first time) and its time to get back to gluing and glassing. Ho, ho , ho!

Randy.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Really nice clean looking work Randy. Very good job filling the gap at the bow. The amazing thing about this type of construction is how you can adjust and make an adjustment look like it was planned. Good Job.
Paul

texasrds
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasrds »

Thanks Paul. One of the reasons I decided I could jump in and build something like this is the type of construction used. I can work with wood and learn to work with epoxy and fiberglass (which I am but not making any claims as to how well :) ). Well, I just had a 4 oz batch of thickened epoxy kick off on me yesterday as I was filling some of the exterior seams so I'm still apparantly learning! It was around 80 here yesterday and I did'nt refrigerate my resin like I usually do plus putting it into a one of those fillable caulking tubes didn't help. Second batch worked better. Oh well, just more sanding and clean up. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the first of the seams taped on the outside so making some progress. My brother and sister in law came over for the first time this past weekend since I started this project and they both took one look and said holy cow it's big and really does look like a boat. lol. Later.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Randy, work does look good. Gonna have to make a road trip one of these days.

Don