Making a two piece canoe, seeking advice..

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
jmburbach
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Making a two piece canoe, seeking advice..

Post by jmburbach »

Well, the 1/4 ply available locally looks like mostly rubbish and marine is expensive and not available locally either, so looks like I'll most likely be going with 3/8 which looks better. If I do any cutting of the frames I'll keep it minimal and definitely above the water line as well. It may be a little while before I can start on the project, I'll try to remember and post pictures when I do. Thanks everyone for the help and advice, much appreciated.

cheers!

vette59jdwl

Post by vette59jdwl »

I have been following along BUT my situation is my canope a sport pall is made of aluminum and i wish to make it a three piece because i can not get it on top of the truck and it being 14 feet in length will not fit in a 6 foot three inch box I wish to put it in a 23 foot trailer that we haul behind a lowrider thanks mooseman

Roy Berry

Post by Roy Berry »

Have a coleman canoe, cut in the middle including aluminum brace with a jig saw after marking of course. used Pvc board sold as siding for houses. Board acts just like PVC pipe to PVC glue so if board is not wide enough it can be glued for more width. Make a cardboard pattern to shape the PVC board to match canoe. Using regular Silicone caulking seal the board to the canoe. Of course you will make a board piece for each end. Drill 5 or 6 holes for attaching bolts in boards. I use regular steel screw and attached boards on edge of cuts to the new boards, took about 20 per side. Placed a spacer plate for the upper support gunnals to hold them straight. Placed caulking in the keel aluminum tube to seal, an a pcv pipe to help alignment. Place board so they go over Keel pipe. Canoe will set on top of my pickup will I pull a 5th wheel now, and it is actually stronger than originally, and only take a few minutes to put together.