FS17 build in central Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 build in central Texas

Post by wadeg »

TomW wrote:When you went down an inch in diameter you effectively went down an inch in pitch. Thus why you had more throttle left with the smaller prop.
I did not actually go down an inch in size. The smaller 12 pitch prop has a larger diameter than the 13 pitch, 13x11.1 vx 12x11.4. That small of difference in diameter should not make a difference though. I believe the rake on the stainless I am looking at combined with the cup and reduced diameter will give me close to what I am after. I believe I need something similar to the Michigan Wheel Apollo at 13x10.5. The slightly smaller diameter will offset the cupping. I also need to play with the engine height as I think it is too low at about 1 inch above the keel.

Thank you all for the good words about the boat.

Shine,

The system three is really not that shiny, it is just a fluke of that picture. I really like how it looks in that pic though. You can see your reflection in the paint, but no where near a clear picture. The gun I used to spray the outside spayed the system three really well though. I did not have near so much luck with spraying the inside though.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Okay Wade I see what happened here. Diameter is usually written 1st then pitch in prop terminology. So you have tried a 11.1 x 13 and a 11.4 x 12 pitch prop so far. I gotcha now. So yes, you picked up your rpms with the smaller pitched prop by having less pitch not diameter. The Apollo or similar would be good.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

TomW wrote:Okay Wade I see what happened here. Diameter is usually written 1st then pitch in prop terminology. So you have tried a 11.1 x 13 and a 11.4 x 12 pitch prop so far. I gotcha now. So yes, you picked up your rpms with the smaller pitched prop by having less pitch not diameter. The Apollo or similar would be good.
I have a request in at powertech now to see what they recommend, so we will see. I definitely need more cup as I primarily fish the shallow salt flats and need to run the motor as high as possible. I am not prop expert though, so any tips are appreciated.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Wadeg, Congrats! That's one fine looking boat. Ah man I think I'm going to have to build an FS17 they look so cool :D

Over 32mph on a 17ft boat with a 50hp motor on it - Got to love it.

Can you try to get some pics of the boat running, would love to see what it looks like up on plane (or videos if you feel like spoiling us :D )

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Wade good job going with PowerTech good company to work with. They will get you what you need.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

wadeg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wadeg »

BassMunn wrote:
Can you try to get some pics of the boat running, would love to see what it looks like up on plane (or videos if you feel like spoiling us :D )

Here are a couple pics of the boat on plane. They are a ways off though which is why I did not post them. I will try to get some closer ones.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Cool thanks :D

Looks good up on plane 8)

I feel another case of BBV coming on :lol:

I just went through your pics on Picassaweb, nice work, can't get over what your epoxy coat looked like 8O Very similar layout to what I want to do.
Congrats again on a lovely boat

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Wadeg,

I've got a question about the TLDI. As I'm getting closer to completing my build, I'm thinking about power and the TLDI is still at the top of my list. My question is about the battery... much is made about the battery requirements for this motor, and I want to know which battery you went with, where you put it in the boat, and what size cable you used. Thanks! Your build looks great; I can't wait to post running pics of my own.

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Whosmatt, I used the 50TLDI on my boat and mounted the battery in the RR compartment. These engines come with the harness and controls, the battery leads are appx. 6' long. The guy that rigged my boat said you want the battery as close to the motor as possible, which makes sense. I wanted to put the battery in the center console and told him so, he said if you look at a wire chart with the amperage requirement (850 CCA) you would need a huge power and ground wire that would be expensive.
I used the Optima blue top battery, I think group 27. Their website has a lot of useful info about their batteries. So far the battery has been great, it's only been on the boat about 6 months, so I don't have much history with it. So far like the motor too, when it's idling it's very quiet, revved up it has a kind of whine that is made by the compressor. Have never smelled that two stroke smell, mileage is very good. Grandpa used the boat to check out a remote creek near our place in Texas a couple of weeks ago. He didn't know the creek so he ran the boat slow for a total of 16 miles (gps track) very little of it on plane. Before he parked it he filled it up and it took 2 gallons of fuel. Pretty good mileage for stopping and starting and a lot of idling, he says he thinks the motor ran for about 4 hrs during that slow trip. :D