OB15 Downunder

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JimboFisher
New Poster
New Poster

Re: OB15 Downunder

Post by JimboFisher »

any chance that white car in the background is a Holden Ute?
Nice build so far too.

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

Yes, that car is a Holden ute... It has gone now though... :(

Many months ago, I said I'd like to be finished building the boat soon... The build has sat idol for more months than I've worked on it... 2 reasons, My work became so busy I did not have time to touch the boat and then since Christmas, with work still booming, my health prevented me from doing anything. Most of the outside fairing is done. "Most" I'm playing with the rub rail. Hopefully, if these 2 factors allow, I'll actually flip it by my original finish date.
Paul - located at
31 degrees, 27.6 minutes South
152 degrees, 45.0 minutes East

JimboFisher
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JimboFisher »

Sweet I love those cars. I drive a Holden (Pontiac) Monaro.

2 Questions about the build: 1) What was the advantage of making half molds for the frames?
2) What kind of ply is the transom cut from? The reason I ask is I have some walnut ply left over from a furniture build, and I was wondering if it would be suitable for the transom, I mean after it's glassed does it matter if it is marine grade wood?

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

I made the half mold patterns out of 3 mm MDF, it was easy to cut and shape up... using half patterns I could trace it and then flip it over and end up with a symmetrical mold. I only had to measure one side.

My transom is made out of Maple marine grade ply, 3/4", 2 layers. I'd only use marine ply in the transom, seems to be the most likely spot to get moisture in.
Paul - located at
31 degrees, 27.6 minutes South
152 degrees, 45.0 minutes East

NBB
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by NBB »

how is the beast coming along? when you reach the point of stringers bulkheads and deck can you please take lots of pictures. i am considering building one of these or the 0b18 its bigger brother, were is wauchop? nsw?