Seacraft 23

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Seacraft 23 - shine

Post by tech_support »

maybe a little performance improvement with the bracket, and weight savings as well.
Those are the only two things different, Im inclined to bet its more the weight, but I do not have numbers to confirm.

something else I forgot to mention, Im running 90 octane without ethanol. I have to research it a little more, but that alone is over 3% more power just from the non-ethanol fuel. Higher octane might be better too.
Are you bringing it to the Keys? I'd really like to see it... Looks like I'll be trailering my 23 down there then.
YES! We will be there the whole week before and leave the 10th. i will take you for ride to see what you think
How long was your cable? I'm looking about 20' for the route I want to take.
I do not know, I paid a dealer to hang and rig the motor. The motor's original cables were not long enough to reach my console, so he had to put in a pair of stud terminals back at the transom. So the cable coming from the motor go to the terminals in the transom (in one of the rigging boxes), from there he ran new cables to the console. The are actually a little too long, I could have trimmed a few feet off.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Dropped the motor by two notches and now I have a very good bite with the propeller. I also now have the fuel flow meter mounted. Medium to tlight load (2 adounts and two little kids, 55 gallons of fuel, no ice, empty baitwell), into 15 mph wind, buring 9-9.5 gph at 30 mph and 8.5 gph at 27 mph. So Im pretty happy, as that is what I was after

A shot of some wiring....

this weekend. My friend's 25 seacraft in the back ground (same hull but with integrated bracket and twin 150's).

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Looks beautiful. I really like the enclosed transom and bracket setup. BTW - are you satisfied with the weight distribution? Hard to tell from the picts, but it looks like she rides on her lines. How about in seas? I know you were playing with the weights to account for the bracket.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

trim is excellent, very happy with the weights.

Right now I am only using the front tank, I don't even want to put gas in the rear tank for fear it will get stale before I use it. I could have used the space between the rear tank and then bilge a little better, its wasted space right now.

Let me know when you get into marathon and we can take it out for a run. :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

UPDATE: The boat is finished and here is link to the tutorial

SeaCraft rebuild from start to finish .... http://www.bateau2.com/howto/seacraft/index.php

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Decided to keep boat. Re-powered with 2006 F250, found one with less than 500 hours for a decent deal. Mid range power is noticeably different, will be able to turn at least one size bigger prop in pitch. :) Just in time too, I am down to the last couple packs of filets

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

8) :D I'm getting low on filets too.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

3 blade 21 pitch was a bust, bad slipping (motor is a little high) and bad numbers.

bought a new merc revolution 4 blade 19 pitch and reproduced same numbers as the test, 4000 RPM gave 29.5 mph and 8 gph. When I was out of the wind, it was actually below 8 gph .

I confirmed the fuel flow meter is accurate, filled it up, ran it, said 17.8 gallon burned. Took 17.9 gallons when I filled her up. I think at dead idle the flow is too slow to measure and that accounts for the .5 % inaccuracy, or maybe it was warmer when I filled up and gas expansion accounts for it

I super happy with this: over 3.5 mile per gallon. Now if the wind would just let up I can take her fishing again

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

for those that want a less expensive alternative to the standard fuel flow instruments, I tried the Faria gauge and its working pretty good

It is under $250 and comes with the sender. Its also a smaller gauge, which I like.