Seacraft 23

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Seacraft 23

Post by tech_support »

UPDATE: The boat is finished and here is link to the tutorial

SeaCraft rebuild from start to finish .... http://www.bateau2.com/howto/seacraft/index.php

Picked up our next project. :) Its a 1985 23' seacraft. This hull has already had a lot of work done, but the fellow from whom I bought just didnt have the time to finish. Transom has been enclosed and most of the demo work is done :D :D :!:

I was able to speak directly to the guy who did the enclosure, he used 2x 3/4" marine ply and West System epoxy. He also made some very nice hatches and liners for the transom area - came with the boat. The box stringers had been chopped off at teh top, foam removed, then re-foamed. They added 2" to the height.

I have a rough idea of the game plan, but this one will be pretty easy. The boats liner is gone, so I will have to stiffen up the sides. Have to decide to either core the sides, or to install frames. will make frames below the sole, thicken the transom up a little more, re-tabb the stringers to the hull.

The Aquasport rebuild covered foam core pretty well. This re-build will be more targeted to rebuilding using plywood. Also, I will use this project to show some mold making (hatches and liners). I will make molds for those parts using the CNC machine. If they turn out well, I will loan them out to our builders. Will also be making a custom console and hardtop.

Here are some pictures of the hull, she was painted already, but it wasnt a very good job (orange peel) so we will repaint at the end

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Seacraft 23 - shine

Post by gstanfield »

Nice looking hull Joel, I'm sure the finished product is going to be outstanding :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

gstanfield wrote:Nice looking hull Joel, I'm sure the finished product is going to be outstanding :D
X2 :D :D

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

Shine, i just noticed you said that you have or will have molds for hatches made on your CNC, i also have a CNC machine, do you have the program or the parameters yet? Is it possible i could plug those number to my machine?

Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Chief Brody »

shine wrote: Also, I will use this project to show some mold making (hatches and liners). I will make molds for those parts using the CNC machine. If they turn out well, I will loan them out to our builders. Will also be making a custom console and hardtop.

quote]
This will be cool....I'd like to make a new top for my Grady....Core material? Electronics box? Nice pick up Joel!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

NEM, When I cut the molds, i will post more on this. Im not making CAD files for the cutting, its simple shapes that I will draw in our Cutting software, then export to files specific to our machine. They will work on your machine unless you have a shopbot. But you will be able to easily reproduce what I have in mind, they are pretty simple.

Nothing decided on the hard top yet, just rough sketches. I want an electronic box molded in. Also, i will make my own support tubes to attach top to the console. Will make then from carbon fiber, similar to my poling platform on the FS17.

First thing I have to do is get dimensions and locations of the original design. Since the boat was already taken apart, I dont have tank locations, sole height, console location, etc. There is a website dedicated to Seacraft enthusiasts, and I am hoping to get this info from their users. www.classicseacraft.com

Im keeping the box stringers, that was a lot of the appeal in choosing this boat (a lot of saved work). I will add a few frames to separate fuel tanks. In the original design there is a step up casting deck forward, in raising the sole 2" I can eliminate that step up. Personally, i dont mind the step up, its nice to have a big storage compartment that drains down, but I think I will run the sole straight to the front, then make "v" seating around the bow area. The V seats will give more storage, stiffen up the sides, plus where the sole would hit the sides without the seat would mean a very odd angle to reach over the gunnels = not very safe IMHO.

So, a little more planning, then we break out the grinders :!:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sweet project Joel 8) Will it be finished in time for Sailfish season? :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Chief Brody »

So this is a center console? A friend of mine had a cuddy version of the Seacraft 23...maybe a different year...road very nicely with a single 200HP Merc...this will be a nice project to watch during the offseason!!! Need help making the top?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Will it be finished in time for Sailfish season? :D
That starts right about now (up this way) I know a charter guy that starts fishing them in daytona and follow them south with the weather.

The boat will be ready for an engine before my wallets is :wink: I have a mental deadline of May 8O

So this is a center console?

Yes, it was before, and will again be a center console :)

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Shine - as you know, I've got the 2004 version of this boat - center console. I don't know exactally, but I don't believe that very much has changed at all. I'm more than willing to help you with any info that can be taken off my boat for comparison (without ripping up the sole :lol: ). ie - height of sole from waterline, from top of stringers, location of the console, location of fuel tanks, resting waterline, whatever...

Just let me know if I can be of help.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.