FS12 (many liberties taken)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS12 (many liberties taken)

Post by gk108 »

I like it! Among other things, you have most of the advantages of an RIB type boat with none of the drawbacks. 8)
CC, D15, V10

deering
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by deering »

heloman30 wrote:Did you think at all about putting foam in the "collar," did you think it would add too much weight, what do you think about that now that you've run it? A panga modified like this would be very interesting, I hope you build it. Also, I remember when you were first discussing building this, and I'm surprised at the speed that you completed it. Very impressive!
I did briefly consider foam for the collar, but didn't see much point at the time. The collar is segmented into separate chambers, all filleted and taped, so it would be nearly impossible to compromise the integrity of all of the compartments at one time.

Now that I've run it for the summer, there's very little I would change. This little boat is a huge winner in my book. The collar was a complete success.

Started it in January and launched it in June. If I hadn't spent so much time monkeying with the collar design, I could have completed the stock FS12 in a month or less. One big motivator is having a wife who is demanding her side of the garage in the winter...

deering
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by deering »

gk108 wrote:I like it! Among other things, you have most of the advantages of an RIB type boat with none of the drawbacks. 8)
A few drawbacks perhaps. It's a bit heavier than a RIB would be, and it doesn't flex to absorb shock loads (though that hasn't been a problem - the ride it terrific). It also doesn't function like a giant fender when tying off to bigger boats.

But aside from those, none of the other inflatable nonsense that I've dealt with in the past. I no longer carry a pump, and gaffing a halibut is no longer a life-threatening experience (at least in the boat-puncturing sense).

If I builder a bigger version with a Panga 20 base hull, I'll add water-tight hatches into the collar for storage. Can't do that with a RIB!

eril n
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eril n »

oh wow! looks great mate.
hehe... I built an fS12 finished a year ago... it went great, but then i decided to also 'modify' mine with sponsons etc.
However, i was too scared to post anything after the finished FS12 build as I considered it may be blasphemy hehe:) .
But now seeing yours, I am inspired!
I might post progress on the end of my thread now, but here is a quick pic or two.
if anyone wants to see more I'll post on my own thread.
(I also raised the sides and did a center 'çhop' and stretch, so yes - very naughty hehe)
well done mate!Image

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

eril n wrote:...However, i was too scared to post anything after the finished FS12 build as I considered it may be blasphemy...
That's unfortunate. I haven't seen the designer discourage people from making changes to accommodate their specific needs.

That being said, you shouldn't expect this site to support changes that may alter the design in ways that weaken the structure or alter the performance of the design. There are several boats that are being built currently that other builders and the designer are spending a lot of their time trying to help the builders add sponsons, flair the bows, etc...

But be ready for some direct (and sometimes harsh, if needed) comments concerning your changes.

Here is another modified boat that I think worked quit well. Others may have differing opinions? But, I doubt anyone will claim "blasphemy"? :wink:

eril n
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eril n »

yes yes :) my comment was mainly tongue in cheek hehe.
thanks!!

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

eril n wrote:yes yes :) my comment was mainly tongue in cheek hehe.
thanks!!
I think I got that from the "he he's". :wink:

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

sitandfish wrote:
That being said, you shouldn't expect this site to support changes that may alter the design in ways that weaken the structure or alter the performance of the design. There are several boats that are being built currently that other builders and the designer are spending a lot of their time trying to help the builders add sponsons, flair the bows, etc...

But be ready for some direct (and sometimes harsh, if needed) comments concerning your changes.
I can attest to that!! I made a mod that changed the design. Had to cut it out and then went back to the original design plans. Took a lot of time to change it but I took it as constructive criticism and a learning experience. I think that add-ons are pretty much okay but wholesale changes get quick and sometimes harsh responses. I didn't feel as if I was being down-trodden, but that if I kept the changes, I couldn't expect whole support from the board and at worst a structural failure. My .02
All in all, great support here. Don

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Uncle D wrote:
sitandfish wrote:

I can attest to that!! I made a mod that changed the design. Had to cut it out and then went back to the original design plans. Took a lot of time to change it but I took it as constructive criticism and a learning experience. I think that add-ons are pretty much okay but wholesale changes get quick and sometimes harsh responses. I didn't feel as if I was being down-trodden, but that if I kept the changes, I couldn't expect whole support from the board and at worst a structural failure. My .02
All in all, great support here. Don
And I will be 100 percent blunt. Concerning your build (UncleD) I stopped contributing to your build thread for a while because, I felt your modifications would result in a dangerous boat. I hope you realize that the contributors are here to help people build safe boats based on very well thought out designs. And as you said, some of us (me included) need the direct approach when it cones to comments. Your boat is looking great! And more importantly, it is being built following sound and time tested building methods.

This is just MY opinion. There are countless changes that can be made to these designs. But, they have to result in a safe boat. :wink: Did I mention, you are building a great boat UncleD? :D

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

I appreciate your support, Jim and everyone's too. Sorry, Bob, don't mean to hijack your thread. You have a fantastic build. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Don