FS17 build in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 build in Maryland

Post by aquaboogie »

One layer of rubrail and some fairing.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

She's getting there, now the fun part of sand, sand, sand then you can paint, flip and start over :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aquaboogie »

While I fair and sand was going to order some suplies for the boat. I was wondering if anyone who has built this boat can help. I am building the center console version and have a couple questions.

1) I want a permanent gas tank. What size/shape and where should it be located?

2) I plan on pouring foam under the deck. Is it posible to put foam under the gunwles? How much foam do i need for this boat?

3) Should I build the console that came in the plans? has anyone found it to be to Big/Small?

aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aquaboogie »

I have not worked on the boat in months. Been busy working in, on and around the house. Also fishing every weekend all summer long with the old man. The boat has been sitting in the garage collecting dust and everything else i put on top of her.

Looking for the motivation to get back out there and finish her up. If you had a stall in your bulid and got back on track and finished your build I would be glad to know how you did it!

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Take the junk off of it, dust it off and maybe you will be inspired, try to remember why you started it in the first place :D
Daddy

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

aquaboogie wrote:..Looking for the motivation to get back out there and finish her up...
Instead on looking for a finished boat maybe, you can set an intermediate goal. Shoot for painting (or graphite) the bottom. Then set the next goat. Maybe flipping the boat? Just saying to yourself that "I need to finish the boat" can be too big a goal for now. Just a thought. Boat is looking great, by the way. Love the FS17 design. :wink:

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

aquaboogie wrote:Also fishing every weekend all summer long with the old man.
If I had the chance to fish with my dad every weekend I doubt I could have finished my project either. To say what S&F said a bit differently, work out a list of small milestones and tackle them one at a time. Trying to wrap your motivation around the finished boat may be too much. I have that problem. When the end seems so far away I get discouraged. When the objective is an acheivable bite, I get those boosts of gratification that keep me going. First thing to do is get the stuff off the hull and back on the shelf so you can see what you have accomplished so far.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

I laid off mine for about a year. Bad azz meds. When I finally felt like I could get at it again, I did a little at a time. Tried to review notes in the plans, take stock of supplies and such. I got back on the forum, looking at all the fine builds and all various progresses and just motivated myself to start again. Main thing I think, is to just start. BTW I have friends that want to fish almost every weekend. Some times you just have to say NO. :cry:

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Looks like it is right there at home. That is fantastic because you can do as little as a half hour here and there and still keep other commitments. One build I did was so big that i could not do it at home and had to work in a converted greenhouse about 15 minutes from home. It was just too much trouble to get in the car if I knew I only had a short while to work. Do a little every day and Bob's yer uncle. :D
Daddy

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Aquaboogie, I'm very familiar with two builds. My brothers TX18 was started in early 08, he progressed very rapidly to possibly half finished then ran out of steam. It sat for two years, he then got going again by riding on my boat that we had just finished. The motivation for him to completely finish was furnished by the Texas Builders Meet. He got her finished thinking about taking her to the meet. Turned out very well, it's a very nice build.

I had a lot of help on my boat and a GF18 is a simple boat. After watching David loose momentum and struggle with getting going again, I turned my boat into a project like one at work. I had two guys helping me the whole way and two ladies mixing epoxy and paint. Lotsa help allowed me to finish in a little over two months, the approach on the next build will be just like the last one. I don't know if I could get restarted after getting cold on one of these builds, it's a lot of work for one man to do alone, to many builders that's what they want. To me, I want to get finished then go fishing.

Have you thought about taking your brand spanking new--beautiful FS17 to the "Keys Builders Meet"? You would have a ball. :D