FS17 build in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 build in Maryland

Post by aquaboogie »

Steven wrote:On both my GV11 and OB19 I used 3/4" quarter round from home depot. I install it along the chine and it effectively acts like a reverse chine. It knocks the spray down and both boats are very dry. I installed it when the boat was still upside down on the cradle. Just started at stern and screwed it on as needed to the bow. Then took of and reinstalled with epoxy. Filled the holes after removing the screws.
Steven: I like the way yours looks so I went to the store and got some 3/4 quarter round. Thank you for the help. Haven't had the chance to install the final layer of rub rail and strakes but they are ready to on.

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

That will knock down the spray nicely. One thing I didn't do was glass over mine because I didn't want to round over the edge and then try to build it back up again. After the flip, and after the outside was faired and primed with Graphite on the bottom, I bought some light weight cloth to go over a few tight bends inside the boat. After using it, I wished I had it when I glued on the spray rails. It's the 3.25 oz cloth sold here. It will nearly take a 90 degree turn and would cover the rail no problem. It also disappears in epoxy and leaves very little to fair. A couple coats of neat epoxy is enough to fair it out. On my next build I will cut some 4" and 6" strips from it and cover rail. Two layers will give 6 1/2 oz. of protective covering for bump and ding protection. Mines held up fine, but It's one of the very few things on the boat I would do differently just for peace of mind.

aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aquaboogie »

I have the last layer of rub rail and and spray rails glued. I also ordered the OB15 console CNC kit. Still have not installed the strakes/runners yet. I am not sure if i should go with the two i have built or the single strake down the middle like the plans show. Not sure if one is better than the other. Does anyone have ideas to what the difference is between the two options?

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Hey aquaboogie,

I just wanted to know if you had any updates on the boat. I'm up in Cecil County trying to wrap up my OB 19. Maybe we could motivate each other to get finished soon!

Mike

aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aquaboogie »

WOW I actually remember my login info! Well I know it's been a while but decided to get back to some boat work after a verrryyy long break :doh: . I still visit the site from time to time to see everyone building and moving along.

over the past few weeks I have
-built a boat stand (on wheels)
-flipped boat
-glassed inside of hull
-installed and glassed stringers
-cut drain plug hole
-started building console

aquaboogie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aquaboogie »