TX 18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: TX 18 Build

Post by cape man »

I am not sensitive at all and all comments will be taken without insult.
Careful with this crowd!! :lol: :lol:

Glad to see you are building again, but dang it man...gonna make me build another one myself if you guys keep going.
Jen did notice and was real quiet...
8O 8O 8O
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Cape man,

I have tough skin so no worries.... :wink:

If you ever get the urge to build, you can always drive over to my place and have at it.. 8)

We need to go fishing again!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Jen did notice and was real quiet...

It might be a good time for her to counterpunch by bringing home a new car :lol:

We need to go fishing again!

That is the best idea I have heard all week....
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I got home early today and Joseph asked "can we build the boat" soooo.. We went in the garage and finished the strong back. Here is a picture with Joseph in it for scale. The strong back is 16 ft long by 4 ft wide. After flipping it, I realized the wheels don't have brakes and the thing really moves around. I guess I will need to make some blocks so it won't roll around on me when building and sanding.

Now to put the frames on it followed by glueing up the panels and stringers......

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

You don't think it might need a couple of wheels in the center? That's a long span.

I think you might need to clean the rest of the garage before you put a boat on that strongback :P
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Cracker Larry wrote:You don't think it might need a couple of wheels in the center?...
And maybe you can find a pair with brakes. :doh:

Cool boots, Joseph!

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

CL,

I thought about the wheels in the middle but at 20 bucks for each wheel I thought I could get away with the four. I could be wrong. I know that they can handle the weight with 770lb rating for each wheel. I may bite the bullet and get another pair and put them in the middle..... The 2X6's are on there sides which should help with stiffness.

sitandfish,

I had a hard enough time finding these that could handle the weight. I will just block them with wedges when I need to. Much cheaper that way...

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Dborecky, I built a long table that is 16' X 8'. I put casters in the middle and on one end and put legs on the other end. When you want to move it I use a floor jack to jack up the legs an inch or two and move it where I want it. I kick the casters on the opposite end in line and it won't move. This same setup should work good for a strongback. :D

Steven

Post by Steven »

Just move the wheels in from the ends 2-3 feet. That's what I did for the OB19. Never had any downward flexing in the middle. Measured and watched carefully. 3 sets of wheels wasn't an option as I like to roll it out of the garage, which has a 1.5" lip to go down.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Glad to see you are building again, but dang it man...gonna make me build another one myself if you guys keep going.
Everybody here just calm down for a minute :help: :help: :help: There's not a day that goes by where I don't consider building another, or re-building one...and I haven't even finished the one I got.

Derrick - I'm pretty interested in this style cause you don't see too many of these around our neck of the woods. Should be neat!

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread