Here is WHY you use good plywood! **UPDATE on pg 6 **

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
gunslinger
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Here is WHY you use good plywood!!!

Post by gunslinger »

I read that maranti can do this as well. Would it not be better to use good grade fir and just put cloth over the whole hull outside ?

Alabamajon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alabamajon »

Meranti 1088 will not rot like fir if it is damaged. Meranti won't normally check. Meranti also weighs about 2/3 of the weight of fir.

I'm new on the forum but have built some small GF12 style boats, used fir on some used Meranti 1088 on others what ever we could get for the BS group. It's been 10 yrs since I was involved and the Meranti boats are still alive the fir boats died a while ago. Oh, well take your choice.

gunslinger
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gunslinger »

You said that so well I may use Meranti as well and may also cloth the outside of the hull.

gunslinger
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gunslinger »

And is it really why we use good plywood or why we put cloth over the complete hull outside ? From what I read either will work ? If Meranti rots as well it just takes a little longer looks like to me. Im not saying Meranti is no good and I think I will use it as well but it seems putting cloth over the complete hull outside will do the same job and stop checking.

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

gunslinger wrote:And is it really why we use good plywood or why we put cloth over the complete hull outside ? From what I read either will work ? If Meranti rots as well it just takes a little longer looks like to me. Im not saying Meranti is no good and I think I will use it as well but it seems putting cloth over the complete hull outside will do the same job and stop checking.

Yes, if you glass all of the fir it will stop the checking. I have a Cheap Canoe I built with fir just to test the building technigue. I glassed the bottom for abrasion resistence. After 8+ years the bottom is in perfect shape. Every other inch of the boat has checks. Fir takes a signifigant amount more expoxy for glassing than meranti. It soaks up twice as much IMO. So you will end up a boat that will be signifigantly heavier and really not cost any less.

I had to use a piece on the OB19 i'm building for the rear deck. It's glassed both sides I used it in because I came up short a piece and there is no where close I can get a sheet of meranti. So it can have it's uses.

In the end, use what you feel comfortable with and build on. A fir boat fully glassed will still make a fine boat that will last a long, long time.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Hey guys
The plywood should be meranti, but it will check as well even if you coat with epoxy primer and paint. Cover all exposed surfaces with at least 4oz this will prevent a repair after your nice paint job. i have first hand experience with this. You can also check Copros p21 thread. He had the same problem and suggests the same.
Dave

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

These pictures are similar to how my FL12 looked after sitting in the hot sun for about 12 months. Only the south facing side had the paint flaking up and it only occurred on the portions of the outer side panel which had no epoxy and glass covering the bare wood. Mine was Meranti BS1088 or BS6566 and had blue water grey primer and black mega gloss gold paint. Not sure if other paints would have done the same thing but reading this post, it seems likely.
Sanded all the black off the other day and will coat the sides with 6 oz cloth and epoxy and paint again in a light color.
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

wrightsa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wrightsa »

George, your original post stated you glassed the bottom. As a newb who's having real problems getting 1/4" marine grade ply for my first CC or NC, I am wondering if you glassed the the hull where you experienced checking?

In my case, it is looking more and more like the most feasible thing for me to do is to go with a premium underlayment and use a 3.25 or 4 oz glass on the entire hull. My hopes would be to learn the process and get several years of use, not just a season or two. Any thoughts? Thanks!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The areas with the issues were not glassed. In fact, the places with the glass has held up like a tank to repeated abuse, being dragged literally hundred of yards across gravel beds (10 yds at a time) and it's still looking like new. I just had her flipped to repaint and couldn't find any bad places on the bottom.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

wrightsa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wrightsa »

Your willingness to share your experience has been very helpful. Thanks.