T's GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: T's GF12

Post by Uncle D »

You guys don't even look like your breaking a sweat. lookin' good guys!!

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Glad to see I'm not the only one using wire for stitching. I used the zip ties on my FL14 and they worked out OK, but then I used safety wire on my tug-bed and SUP and loved it on those. It was worth the extra cost for me 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

Man, you guys are smoking :!: I thought about wire but decided to use high quality zip ties and a tool to tighten them. Worked great. :D

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Wire is the only thing we've ever used but it's nothing special, just some good ol knock your shorts off, electric fence wire. I would probably use zip ties if there were enough of them in the shop when we get around to stitching one together. No pics, but we got the stringers cut out Sunday, going to put an elevated sole in this boat and a small center console. :)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

We built some fillets and seams today. This is the first time we've used the fillable caulk tubes to build fillets with, they work great. We're a little rusty at mixing to the right consistency but it worked out okay and got the inside seams built. I discovered something building this hull that should be in the build notes. When stitching the bottom to the hull sides and transoms it really helps the fairness of the hull if you glue the sides and leave the bow transom just stitched, after the sides set you can then take some pressure off the bow transom stitches and it relaxes the bottom and the lower bow transom. It can now be glued and the bow transom and the front of the hull bottom is fair. Doing it all at the same time results in the bottom being low in the middle and pulls the BT back at the bottom. Took a bunch of quickfair to fix this on my GF18. Here's a few pics.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

nice work.

I also like those tubes for making inside fillets. It saves a ton of time.

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

One question....have you decided to build the GF without the midseat ?
BTW the boat looks nice...

Bye
Bernd

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

You guys are doing nice work, Paul. I have some of those tubes but have never used them. I always seem to go back to cake decorating bags. I guess cause I just throw it away when the bag is empty.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

bernd1 wrote:One question....have you decided to build the GF without the midseat ?
BTW the boat looks nice...

Bye
Bernd
Yes Bernd, we are building it without a middle seat. We are installing stringes 5" tall and a sole, leaving the midseat frames 3" on the sides. Jaques is right in saying these mods turn a simple build into a more complex build but we have, what we feel, a good reason. We fitted the hull on my worktable and it's very hard for my wife or I to step over the middle seat. Additionally we wanted to go with a small remote steer outboard which complicates the boat some more. We'll have to see how it all works out.

Uncle D, Joel has a very reasonable price on the fillable caulk tubes, we used two yesterday and will probably use two more installing the frames, the nice thing is there is almost no waste, you lay a bead down the seam then come back with the shaping tool, didn't even come close to having anything cook off in the tube. It was 55degrees yesterday and we used medium hardener.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Prarie Dog wrote:It was 55degrees yesterday
I'd have to crawl in the ice box to enjoy those temps. :roll:
I'll have a lot of fillits to do now that the boat is upright. Temps are still in the 90's but I'll give the tubes a try. With the slow hardener I have, it might be all good. Build on. Don