PrometheusNL FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PrometheusNL FL12

Post by PrometheusNL »

Thanks JGB for that quick reply :)

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

Been doing some work without glue since it's becomming a bit to cold so preparing for a bit hotter weather.

working on the towing eye and front cover

Should be sturdy enhough when all glued up.

Hide the ugly stuff.

Thickend up the transome with clamp plates both sides overall thickness now 42mm

putting on some bling bling oarlocks.

today i'll get the hinges and oarlocks on.

regards Prom

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good, that's some pretty plywood you've got there too 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

It's to cold to work in the garage but i had to do something so i started looking for my next project after the fl12 is done.

Thinking about a modified RB16.. Maybe impossible to scale up the RB16 a bit more to get what i want out of it.

I'm thinking of This layout:

Between 2 back seats 200 cm / 6 feet 7 inches so i can lay the seat flat and have a sunn deck.

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

Had a bit off work this weekend finally got back to boat building.

Where i left it last year i had some fairing and painting to do and i would be done. But alas the temp dropped to low for both so had to wait until it got warmer. This weekend it finally got resonablly warm so back to working on it.

Almost done faired primered and painted the inside. Flip her over and paint on the outside slap the trim on and she's done and ready to get wet.

Should be soon :)

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

Drat won't finish it before my holiday. Only need varnish the rubrail and maybe rework the transom coners. But it will have to wait until i get back from Italy. Got an extra week off work to get it finished and get myself an electric motor batery and splash her.

Yes i'll upload some pics soon when i get a moment.

Flea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Flea »

looking forward to the pics my freind, getting close to splashing her must get you a bit excited i would imagine.

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

Pic extravaganza.

Back from italy got swamped with work so here we go :)
Lets catch this post up to where i'm at now.

This is how i found her after the long winter:

fairing the tape:

Sanding the whole inside

Primer on the inside

Tape for topcoat

White top coat starting to look nice.

Flip her over for the bottom coat but first moar sanding.

First coat of Marine deep blue

Sand smooth and epoxy the rails.

More to come

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Love the dark blue and all the brightwork. Really sets off the boat. Good work. Waiting to the splash pics.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

PrometheusNL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PrometheusNL »

Some questions posted on the picasa album ill copy them here.

Questions

Did you glass the entire exterior?
and
Looks great, my wife just bought me the plans for the fl14, and your pictures give a great understanding of the different steps involved. How difficult was building the oar lock 'connectors'?

How close did you follow the directions for the boat? Did you find the directions easy to understand?what about paint? Did you use a certain type of primer ? A certain type of paint? Thanks!

Awnser

I did not glass the exterior onlly coated with epoxy coats and then a finish coat. The bottom is epoxy graphite mix.

After building the boat the oar lock connectors where easy as pie. You get familliar with the concepts of epoxy and wood you'll fix something up to suit your needs in a few minutes. Basicly what i did was glue 3 cut out sheets together then drill a hole in it and a cover to make it look nice.

The directions are easy to follow but also easy to make a mistake. Mistakes never are the end of the world since you can fix them pretty simple and most have a solution. This ofcourse has limits if you cut it in half there's only so much you can do to fix that ;)

The layering of what i used wood be Wood with 1 or 2 coats of clear epoxy then an epoxy based Armour coat. ( product for sale in the EU that is a coating on epoxy basis with hardened and UV stabalized stuff in there) then a topcoat with a Poly uritane yacht paint. (the blue and white on my boat) the clear finshed was coated 3 to 4 times with clear epoxy then coated with an run of the mill Oil based teak colored varnish.