Guam MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
vagner
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Guam MM21

Post by vagner »

chicagoross wrote:Almosst no progress in 3 months... :( Life got in the way. Hope to get started again soon, but will be slow build time. I'll update when a visible progress is made!
Hello Ross,
I'm from Brazil and I follow the forum of the bateau boat building. My dream is to build a TW28. It's a big boat and beautiful, but it is beyond my possibilities. The bigger the boat = higher expenses, difficulties storage, maintenance etc ...

The decision to purchase a plan Bateau is already taken! I want a boat displacement of up to 25 feet, with a maximum of OB engine up to 25 HP.

I thought about HMD19, MM21 or Maia24. I like the design of the MM21 that you are building. If you do not mind, I have some questions I want to ask some questions, that will help me decide which design made up

Sincerely,

Vagner
ps sorry my english

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Ask away, your English is fine! I chose the MM21 as the largest I could reasonably tow. The Maia is just want I wanted, but don't think my Toyota pickup would be a very good tow vehicle, so the MM21 gives me as much as possible under my conditions.

Not much visible progress, the cockpit sole and cabin sole are in and glassed, working on fitting the water tank now before glueing down the berths.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

"visible progress" means new pictures to the rest of the world... :lol: It's great to see every little step! Easier to cheer you on that way, too!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

OK, took some pics to update the builed; went to photbucket, it's a beta version that I can't even see my old pics with? Anyone solved this probme, or do I need to find a new way to post?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Mine still seems to be working, but it's a whole new look. They've "upgraded" I guess. It's a pita to fix something that works.

Turning into an old codger Dougster

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I don't like the beta version either, but there is a button on the top (right, I think) that allows you to return to the original version.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Tha button doesn't work to take you back to old photobucket. Says O have 121 photos but can't see them, Guess we have to wait.

Cockpit and cabin soles are fitted, glued and taped, and glassed. Built a compartment for the water tank under the berth tops, installed the tank and foamed it in place. Used a left over, sealed 2 gallon foam kit, about 4 years old, and it took most of the kit for this small job. The stuff definitely has a shelf life. Worked OK here under the water tank, as we need to add ballast in this area anyway, but must be the world's heaviest densist foam.

Cut and fit the berth tops yesterday. They appeared too small to sleep in, but found that you can stretch out as long as you're about 6' or so, any taller and you'll be hanging out. Also found that because of the raised deck forward, a couple people can easily sit up comfortably using the hull as backrest, stretch their legs out and kick back. I took pics and will show you when I figure the new Facebook out!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

OK, cockpit and cabin floors fitted and glassed. I built "stringers" under, making compartments, not called for in plans but I felt the soles were "springy" and need more support. That's OK, the extra weight is below the waterline... :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Before fitting the berth tops (which fit perfect cut to plan, maybe a first for me :D ), I buildt a compartment for the water tank and then foamed it in. 4 year old foam, even unopened, seemed to have very little expansion left compared to when new:

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

The berth tops seemed pretty small when cut, but a six footer could still stretch out, I'm 5'10". Your first mate probably should only be about 5' tall...