Guam MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Guam MM21

Post by peter-curacao »

very cool Ross 8) , real curious to her (your) layout

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Ross - that is very cool! Please keep the pictures coming! And I agree with Cracker Larry's sentiment, too :wink:

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I really didn't know plywood could make curves that sexy
It didn't really want to, and took some serious persuading... :D Kefing the rails was a treat, too, that's why it took so long, they were all bending in two directions, lots of kerfing. Glad that's done!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Good milestone today - I finished glassing the insides. Although I think this method of building produces the best hull for the tropics in terms of rot-proof etc., glassing and sanding isn't that much fun here. When it's 95 degrees, protective gear consists of gloves, shorts, flip-flops and safety glasses. You itch all the time. 90 - 95 degrees also means climb out of the boat every 3 oz of epoxy (6 for biax cloth which really sucks it up) and mix another small cup. Any larger and it foams and burns your hand... :D Anyhow, cutting and fitting bits and pieces is a lot more fun for me!

So, back to boat building! Time to start cleats and soles. After this point, almost every piece requires fitting, I know my build has drifted a bit from plan dimensions by now... :oops: Any how, the score thus far is 18 gallons of epoxy, 3 1/2 rolls of biax tape, 50 yards 12 oz biax cloth Most of the hull expenses are already in (excepting the dreadfully costly fitting out ...). I think I'm on schedule to use less epoxy than the HMD18 (I used 30), which only had a fraction as much glass in it, so not too unhappy.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Ross, as others have said, NICE, Very Nice :D

Got a question? how do you do the epoxy work in that kind of heat and humidity without dripping sweat in your work :doh: Probably same question for others in High Humiditiy Climates??? Even if I wrap a towel around my head it starts dripping sweat in a matter of minutes. I worked inside a shop so didn't have that problem, and thats the reason I was wondering?
Completed: FL14, OD18

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Larry B wrote:
Got a question? how do you do the epoxy work in that kind of heat and humidity without dripping sweat in your work :doh: Probably same question for others in High Humiditiy Climates??? Even if I wrap a towel around my head it starts dripping sweat in a matter of minutes. I worked inside a shop so didn't have that problem, and thats the reason I was wondering?
As he said shorts and flip flops only :wink: I also have a fan for non windy days. 8)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I don't even wear flip flops. Shorts and barefoot, and keep the fan pointing at you :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Shorts and barefoot, and keep the fan pointing at you
Yep, plus I wipe off my forehead with my shirt. I have found that a good dip in the pool or prerinsing before scrubbing in the shower helps keep the fiberglass from cutting you up too much. Other than that I just deal with the itch. It only lasts for a couple of days (then again I'm not allergic to epoxy, so for me the itch isn't unbearable)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, plus I wipe off my forehead with my shirt.
In the winter :lol: I usually don't even wear a shirt in the warm months, too dang hot for clothes. I've about become desensitized to the itch, it doesn't bother me much or very long. Blow it off with the compressor, hose it off, jump in the pool, its gone. What I hate is when you get it all in your clothes, it takes 6 washings to get rid of it and you usually contaminate everything else before it's done. Including the wife's undy-things. When I see her squirming in the chair, I don't dare mention that I washed some of her clothes with mine :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

If you douse yourself with baby powder before sanding it will help keep the itchin down. Powder fills your pores and makes you smell more gooder to. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.