Guam MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Guam MM21

Post by chicagoross »

Daddy, If I was building just for my own use the Nina would be it! I'd love to try it out in my sea conditions, see if it will really keep going when the others slow down. Just not the load carrier and creature comforts the family demands! Also a very scary build - I watch those builds, and it seems it takes years and years to build a Nina! :D

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Ross i have been waiting for somebody to build one of these. This is going to be a cool build and a lot of
fun to watch :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

chicagoross wrote:Daddy, If I was building just for my own use the Nina would be it! I'd love to try it out in my sea conditions, see if it will really keep going when the others slow down. Just not the load carrier and creature comforts the family demands! Also a very scary build - I watch those builds, and it seems it takes years and years to build a Nina! :D
It does seem to take a lot of time,at least for me, still plugging along but looking at days now rather than months (I hope) :oops:I remember that you were interested in Nina so I was hoping :D Actually my wife says she will not let me sell FESTIVUS my GT23 because of the reasons you are building the MM. She likes all of that room.
Daddy

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Chicago,
Don't worry about the building space, you will make work. Just remember, Jethro built his in his basement and somehow managed to get it out of there. Must have been on of those mystical magical Hollywierd moments... :doh: Good luck with the build, we'll be watching.
John

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Well, slow progress tha last week, just a few hours a day and missed at least a couple days completely. That's the rule I don't like to break - you only need to work on it an hour or two, but I hate missing a day completely - too easy to lose momentum! (With all the aches and pains this old body has accumulated, you tend to rely on momentum to keep things going; you may lose torque and horsepower as you get older, but fortunately the flywheel keeps getting bigger and heavier...)

But a little progress none-the-less: Bottom hull panels were splced and butt-joined together and stacked aside to clear the building table. That used the last ounce of epoxy left over from 3 years ago (BTW MarinEpoxy worked just fine after three years storage) and the last of the leftover biax tape. The side hull panels are waiting for more epoxy and fiberglass tape, both on order.

So I started laying out and cutting the frames. Because of the raised deck cruiser configuration, they seem huge:
Then I set up the first 3D preview, and a big part of the attraction of this unique design:
Now back to work!

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Looking good Ross, Your getting right after it. Keep up the pictures and updates.
How long do you have to wait to get the epoxy to Guam?
Completed: FL14, OD18

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good Ross, can't wait to see this one come together. :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Looks good Ross, what ply is that, looks like Meranti?

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Philipine mahogany exterior. Even plies, no voids, and both sides are basically "A" grade, no footballs, passes a boil test. Not what you get at Home Depot stateside. Since noone imports marine ply to Guam, that is the first of many decisions and changes that I needed to make to build this boat here. I also used it on my HMD which has been used 3 years now with no problems.

The nex issue to solve was I don't have space for the basket mold suggested in the plans; the hull will fit (barely) but not the exterior basket mold,so this build will be upside down on a jig. Most of the frames are "skeleton", meaning three inches around the edges - that won't due for building on a Jig, so I am cutting them all full size (I've draw the "cut-aways" on them for after the flip, but need the full sheet first to support the boat until it's glassed). Along with this new requirement, most of the nesting diagrams go out the window. :D

I had rejected this boat earlier (it's really too big for my building conditions) but after a bit of thought I figured it all out - a lot of changes to the build sequence, but the boat itself will be "to spec".

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

BTW, if you're wondering why "philipine mahogany" looks like "Meranti":

HelpHome > Materials Guide > Lumber & Plywood > Wood Species 2
Meranti
PrintComments (0)
Pages in this Story:• Meranti• Wood identification• Uses in woodworking• AvailabiIity• Machining methods• Carving cautions• Turning tips• Shop-Tested TechniquesMeranti

Meranti

Frequently called Philippine mahogany
, this wood isn't mahogany at all Identifying, classifying, and naming native American hardwoods becomes child's play compared to the complexity involving what many of us refer to as Philippine mahogany. You see, in the world timber trade, the wood of many species with similar characteristics can sometimes be lumped together and sold under one name. That's the story behind Philippine mahogany. The Philippine Islands, as well as Malaysia, Indonesia, and Southeast Asia, produce a great variety of hardwoods. But the most volume comes from a group of tree species known commercially as Philippine mahogany, due to the appearance of their lumber and the fact that the word mahogany is widely recognized. However, none of these species belong to the family Meliaceae that includes the New World mahoganies of the Swietenia genus, such as Honduras mahogany. Generally, the trees that supply the timber for Philippine mahogany lumber and plywood belong to the huge plant family called Dipterocarpaceae. And in that family, the Shorea species has five distinct, commercially important trees named meranti.