OT16 Otter completed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OT16 Otter completed

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Bow MOld for OT16

I noticed in pictures of the completed Otters that sheer line at the bow seemed to droop. I discussed this with Jacques and he provided a bow mold which he said would hold the bow shape. You might want to use the mold as shown below.

He also suggested that I could assemble the sides as designed and then take a thin batten and scribe a sheer line that I liked.

Have fun building the boat.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OT16 Otter completed-sailing pix

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I added some pictures of the boat sailing in moderate breeze.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 197&page=1

We have been waiting for weeks for some reasonable wind on Crescent Lake to try the sailing rig. The wind finally arrived so we had a chance to see how the boat really sails. We took these pictures in light wind. (First attempt, the wind lightened up and I had a pleasant row back to the dock.) A week or so later, we had a much nicer breeze, probably 5-8 K. The boat really moves effortlessly. We were able to tack the boat easily with more wind. I was a little concerned that the long narrow hull might be hard to tack. Once the boat starts moving, she points pretty well. The daggerboard is fairly small but the designer put it in the right place...the boat tracks without much weather helm.

The automatic kick-up rudder does what it is supposed to. Once the blade hits bottom, the rudder kicks up. The overcenter shock cord holds the rudder down or up. I added a little HDPE toe on the daggerboard so it wouldn't get too banged up.

The gunter rig seems to work just fine. I use a belaying pin as a halyard cleat. To lower the sail, I just pull the pin and let the yard fall into the lazy jack/topping lift that you see in the pictures.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

Beauty! 8)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very nice :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am impressed by the shape of the gunter sail. Those sails are difficult to cut and difficult to set but it looks really good on your boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Actually, I was quite disappointed with the sail. For some unknown reason, the sailmaker didn't allow for a luff round. The sail was also about 6 inches short on the hoist. After I rejected the sail, she asked to have one more cut at the sail. I had measured the mast bend so I worked with her to add the panel you see on the front of the sail. You are right though. Seeing the sail up in these pictures makes it look fair. The sail is very flat which may not be too bad considering how narrow the boat is...heeling isn't good. In the light air tests so far, the boat ghosts along with very little effort due I expect to the long narrow waterplane.

The first cut, the sail was made with a very precise cutout allowing for the thickness of the yard. The sail fits in a groove on the yard. When the luff was recut, we just ran the tape the length of the sail and ignored the cutout. This worked just fine.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Beautiful build Justin, she makes me want an Otter :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Go for it George. The Otter is my second retirement project after the VG20. Certainly a versitile boat. I still have some resin and two sheets of plywood left!
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
Otter/Lissa

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

After I get moved I will be building a row/sail boat for camping and cruising the smaller lakes. The OT16 is definately on the short list of possibles...then again the "short" list is still pretty long for me :lol: :lol:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

That boat does make for a pretty picture. Looks fun. Very nice Justin.