od16-chine question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jmurray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

od16-chine question

Post by jmurray »

I just recieved my plans and was going over them. It looks as if the plans have a slanted chine. Am I looking at them wrong? I really wanted the stepped chine. One of many questions to come.

Slim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

od16-chine question

Post by Slim »

it´s not offered any more with the step. I´m buildind a od 18 with the step chine. There is a stink about chine tripping. I prefer it over the slant. Richards od 16 has the step. Charles od 18 has the slant they both say they stay very dry. I prefer the way the step looks myself. I have built two mud boats. They are basicaly wood / glass john boats( flat bottoms) with a small block chevy V8 with a 1 to 1 transmission in them. the pig will run just short of 56 mph in a ditch 8 feet wide 2 feet deep.Doing it in a boat 5 foot wide 16 foot long will make the hair on your neck stand straight up. So for myself I dont feel the step chine is a real concern. 30 mph in a od18 is good enough for me. I´m threw playen in the mud an the marsh Slim
slim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

od16-chine question

Post by jacquesmm »

I don´t know what to do anymore!<BR>Slim, I discussed this with you over the phone: when we showed the step chine or the two versions on the same plans, some kept complaining about chine tripping.<BR>Now that we eliminated the step chine to avoid controversy, it looks like everybody wants it.<BR>Any steep chine angle will result in some risk of chine tripping. Any flat bottom boat will chine trip under certain conditions but since we, as the designers, were blamed for it, we removed it from the plans.<BR>If I had another OD16, I would build her with the step chine! It keeps the boat very dry and is easy to build.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Slim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

od16-chine question

Post by Slim »

Your so very wright. It´s realy not your fault.The thing that sticks in my mind is this. Every one needs to learn to accecpt their own mishaps as a learning curve. instead of blaming you for a great design as the step chine. Shooting across the intercoastal in freezen weather an getting spray frozen to your face is for the young at heart not me any more. the step chines for me. keep up the good work jacques the boats you draw up are the best all around no dought. I´m sorry if this up sets some folks.But you can´t please all the people all the time. It´s a shame that the boat has to take it in the stern Slim
slim