Page 1 of 1

Lanes P21 *SPLASHED*

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:16 pm
by fastlane
hello.

been a long time since i posted so i wanted to share some progress on my p21. Its going on 4 years now but its just about complete and it has turned out really well. Its been a challange with my severe wood alergy but persistance has paid off.

I'm in the process of painting and test fitting everthing now. the hull will be blue with some yellow accent when done.
We put a lot of thought and details into the project and cant wait to hit the water with it. Theres still a lot of work to finish but i can see the finish line.

i also added some more to my gallery if anyones intereted

Re: Lanes P21

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 pm
by Mad Dog
Excellent! Just went throught the gallery. You've done a great job. :D

MD :wink:

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 pm
by danieloldhouse
Fastlane very interesting pics indeed! The P21 is one of my favourite boats and your's looks very nice, I feel a great accuracy for the details, please keep us updated!
Daniele

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:09 pm
by Baitcaster
Severe allergy to wood! Okay, I now have absolutely no excuse not to build a boat! Good on ya!

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 pm
by Daddy
Beautiful job, I have plans for the P21 but built two others first :D Maybe next one.
Great detail and finish.
Daddy

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm
by chicagoross
Very nice, Fastlane! Looks like you're fitting windows in the 2nd photo? What are you using?

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 pm
by fastlane
Thank you all for the replies. i will be adding more pictures to my gallery once i get them all re-sized.

I would like to thank Dave, Hope2float. He is also building a P21 just a few miles from me. Its been a real help to have him around to ponder and figure out some of the details of this project.
Baitcaster wrote:Severe allergy to wood! Okay, I now have absolutely no excuse not to build a boat! Good on ya!
Go for it Baitcaster. I thought about throwing in the towel. the precautions i had to take really extended the built time but well worth it in the end.

chicagoross wrote:Very nice, Fastlane! Looks like you're fitting windows in the 2nd photo? What are you using?

Chicagoross The sliding side windows i ordered from Wynne enterprises. I'm very happy with them and the price was fair. less then $400 custom made and delivered. the windshield and side windows are 1/4 plexiglass. i made 1/4 recess to mount them in and will attach with 3m VHB tape and some silicone. I painted a boarder with some plastic paint to cover the mounting and it looks pretty slick, like a car window when installed

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm
by DIXON7007
HI LANE, I WOULD SUGGEST USING SOMETHING BETTER THAN A SILICONE I OR II. BEING IN THE COMMERCIAL GLASS BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS NOW, WE HAVE HAD OUR MISHAPS WITH WET GLAZING AS WELL AS BUTT GLAZING WITH SILICONE. DOW CORNING MAKES A STRUCTURAL SEALANT THAT ALLOWS EXPANDING AND CONTRACTING WITHOUT DEALING WITH SHRINKAGE. TWO VERSION "795 AND 995" THOUGH THEY RUN ABOUT $10 -$12 A TUBE,THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TOOL VERY EASILY. THE CAULK SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT MOST CONSTUCTION SUPPLY HOUSES,JUST A SUGGESTION.GREAT WORK, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 am
by fastlane
Dixon7007
thank you for the reply. the silicone is just to seal the windows and make them look good. The 3m VHB tape is what will be attaching the pane. Off the top of my head i don't recall part number i have but it is a structural adhesive tape specifically designed for bonding plastics and laminates to the exterior of vehicles and buildings. It should be.

DIXON7007 wrote:HI LANE, I WOULD SUGGEST USING SOMETHING BETTER THAN A SILICONE I OR II. BEING IN THE COMMERCIAL GLASS BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS NOW, WE HAVE HAD OUR MISHAPS WITH WET GLAZING AS WELL AS BUTT GLAZING WITH SILICONE. DOW CORNING MAKES A STRUCTURAL SEALANT THAT ALLOWS EXPANDING AND CONTRACTING WITHOUT DEALING WITH SHRINKAGE. TWO VERSION "795 AND 995" THOUGH THEY RUN ABOUT $10 -$12 A TUBE,THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TOOL VERY EASILY. THE CAULK SHOULD BE AVAILABLE AT MOST CONSTUCTION SUPPLY HOUSES,JUST A SUGGESTION.GREAT WORK, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:52 am
by Daddy
Wil you use any thing in addition to the tape to hold the panel in place. How is the tape affected by UV?
Daddy

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 am
by fastlane
Daddy,

Just the tape. Ive use the stuff before and once its installed the windows wont go anywhere. The tape itself is UV resistant but in my case light and uv will never touch it. the windows are uv coated and the tape will be between the wood and painted surface on the window

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... /VHB-Tape/
Daddy wrote:Wil you use any thing in addition to the tape to hold the panel in place. How is the tape affected by UV?
Daddy

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:46 pm
by cali123
once its installed the windows wont go anywhere.
3M makes the best adhesive materials on the planet. Good choice :!: :)

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 pm
by wej
Went through the entire galley, awesome job, it looks great. :D

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 pm
by Joe H
Looking good fastlane!

Hope to be at that stage soon, and good pointers.

Joe H

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 am
by fastlane
Hey folks

Making some more progress on the P21. I got all the windows and deck hardware installed. Started some wiring and put the first coat of paint on the hull.
I also had the Boat Surveyed for insurance purposes. I was pleased with the results of the survey. The surveyor was very impressed with the boat design and construction. Everthing was ABYC compliant and done corectly so far.
However I was not real pleased with the dating of the hull. The year starts when the keel was laid witch was back in 2008. So I have a brand new 4 year old boat. The value was placed at 33K in its current state. Not bad considering I don’t have nearly that much into it.

Here are some more pics. The first coat of paint is pettit easypoxy that was roiled ant tipped. Came out good. we plan on at least 3 more coats.

*EDIT*.. I used S3 Yaught Primer. The hull was primed over a year ago and when it came time to prep for paint i could barely scratch it!. I tried a hand block and DA then a palm sander all with 80 grit. The palm worked the best but the sheets went flat in just a few moments. The primer is tough stuff once it fully cures!

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 am
by wej
Super SA-WEEEET!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful :!: Congrats on the survey also 8) How do you like the Pettit paint? It's one of my favorites.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:49 am
by Lower
Boat's looking great. Very nicely done.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am
by fastlane
Howdy folks

Sorry I didn’t get to reply the latest comments. The paint was EasyPoxy and I’m very happy with it. We did 3 coats total tip and rolled. This is the first time we ever painted like this and as the coats went on we progressively got better. It’s not perfect but good enough to slam sinkers and crab traps into it. We also put the non skid down on the deck , bow and gunnels. We used kiwigrip and it came out great!

I got the boat out of the garage and onto the trailer this weekend. Got the motor mounted and fired it up. Hooked up the bay star hydraulic steering and now it steers so it’s almost ready to go. Really sucks that we had snow already so not sure if it will be splashed this year. But if we get a chance I may dunk it just to find the waterline to finish up the bottom.

Some latest pictures

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:43 am
by peter-curacao
She's a beauty 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:18 pm
by tech_support
awesome :!: :D

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:34 pm
by Prarie Dog
Lane, she looks fantastic, really like the colors. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm
by chicagoross
Beautiful! Time for a quick splash!

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:10 pm
by wegcagle
Awesome job. Congrats 8)

Will

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm
by Cracker Larry
Wow :!: :!:

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 pm
by wej
They don't get much prettier than that!!

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 am
by topwater
Boat and trailer look great in the sun :!: Love the carolina smile paint job 8)

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am
by Joe H
Fantastic Lane,
What's the height of your garage door opening, doesn't look like you had much wiggle room!
I'm building the P-19 and my garage door opening is 7'6", I figure I have a couple of inches to spare.
Love the carolina smile paint job
Dito on that.

Joe H

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 am
by fastlane
Thanks for the nice comments. The boat has been sitting outside. Its getting a dirty and full of leaves so i got a quote to have a drop curtain and and a cover for the deck made. The two quotes i got were both in the $2500 range 8O . I have been researching how to make my own and pricing the supplies and i am going to give it a shot myself. I figure it cant be that hard.
Joe H wrote:Fantastic Lane,
What's the height of your garage door opening, doesn't look like you had much wiggle room!
I'm building the P-19 and my garage door opening is 7'6", I figure I have a couple of inches to spare.
Love the carolina smile paint job
Dito on that.

Joe H
Joe..My garage is also ~7'6. it was tight but i had about 1.5 inches to spare. I was able to get the boat on dollies with the keel 1" off the floor. slid right out with no problems.

Carolina smile? is that whats its called? never heard of that before but it looks great :)

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:15 pm
by vidar
Oh, how I wish I had more than the plans on the property... But in a couple of years...

Could I bother you shooting an image of the deck, perhaps with a person standing on it? I would love to get an idea of the space, since I plan to extend the pilot house and add a back wall to it.

Does it seem possible to have two benches on the port side with a small table between if the pilothouse is extended somewhat?

Re: Lanes P21 *SPLASHED*

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 pm
by fastlane
The P21 Floats!!

Today was the day! I'm glad to report everything went great. No drama and no problems. Only issue was the water. The last hurricane really did a job on the channel and it is not passable at low tide so we just checked out all the systems and then putted around the back of the marina. We all had a great time. It took 4 years to get to this point and even though we locked in the back of the lagoon we all had an excellent time.

We will be going out tomorrow morning to catch the top of the tide and take the boat out into the Manasquan river where we really give her a healthy sea trial. We are all really looking forward to nice day out on the water.

I would like to thank Dave AKA Hope2Float for all his help today. Thanks buddy!

i Have 2 videos on you tube of today's events and some pictures. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/K4C3upqo1u4

http://youtu.be/5o1Ojjn_ghg

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:49 pm
by gstanfield
Congrats :D She's a real looker, you should be proud of her. I can't wait to hear back some reports after you some time on the water 8)

That is one quiet engine 8O

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:59 pm
by Cracker Larry
That is a beautiful boat 8) She sure sits pretty on her lines. Fantastic job :!:

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 pm
by Joe H
WOW, congradulations Fastlane! She sure looks nice.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:34 pm
by Mad Dog
Beautiful build Lane. Congratulations on the successful splash. 8)

MD :wink:

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:43 pm
by wej
YAY!! Congrats man!!!

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:50 pm
by Steven
She sure is purty. :)

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:56 pm
by Larry B
BEAUTIFUL, Wow you did a fantastic job. She is lookin great :D

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:45 am
by a_Adel
beautifully built, she looks amazing,.congratzz on the splash, running vids next?:)

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 am
by Rmarsh
Absolutely Beautiful! Congrats!

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 am
by peter-curacao
Now there stands a proud man 8)
Congratulations very nice job beautiful boat 8)

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 am
by icelikkilinc
Congrats.. Cool looking boat..

Hope to see some running videos... She looks stable..

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 am
by peter-curacao
icelikkilinc wrote:Congrats.. Cool looking boat..

Hope to see some running videos... She looks stable..
He has two video's at the top of his post, not full throttle but still nice to see it move 8) Btw fastlane I liked that 2e "what the hell is that?" song you put on the radio :lol:

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:13 pm
by topwater
Followed this build from the begining, saw everything you had to deal with, what a great job
you did :!: The boat looks awesome on the water. Cant wait for the reports on how she runs
in open water. Love that carolina smile paint job 8)

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 pm
by wegcagle
Nice job Lane. She's a looker for sure. 8)

Will

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:28 pm
by fastlane
Thank you Everyone for the nice comments. we got an early start and really got a chance to put the P21 through the paces. I am glad to report that the entire experience was way above and beyond my greatest expectations. The boat is a Dream and a testament to the designer and support provided by this forum!!

The 115 Yamaha performed flawless. I was running the 13" 15P prop off my 90 HP on my mako since its what i had available and it worked good. The boat gets up on plane instantly and with 3 adults and our son aboard and 30 gallons of fuel ( front tank full rear one empty) the boat had no problem go 32 MPH @ 5500 and would plane nicely as low as ~ 10 MPH. I think the performance and handling were excellent.
i do have a 6" offset jackplate and 12x9 Bennett tabs and they really worked well once we got out in the ocean with the chop.
i do think i may need to lower the motor a bit or get a prop with a bit more cup since i could blow it out in the chop when going at a good clip. All other system worked great. the livewell, washdown and windlass worked great. What a great accessory the windlass is!

I have a bunch of videos and we put on a good station this time :). We went out of the back of the manasquan River and then headed out up the coast to Asbury Park after tooling around in the bay a bit.

enjoy the videos!

Holeshot performance

http://youtu.be/XiiE8iQGRIc

going through the manasquan

http://youtu.be/kYD9M64bmfk

Heading out the inlet

http://youtu.be/InamcXhv120

Our son taking the wheel

http://youtu.be/v78ZncZ4isQ

heading back in past belmar beach

http://youtu.be/SToEXtQlvEw

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm
by FloatingTurtle
Nice videos. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your beautiful boat as much as you can. And then some more :wink:

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 pm
by icelikkilinc
Just as I wanted.. Thanks for sharing and enjoy :D

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:07 pm
by TRC886
Great job :!: :D

It appears to ride and handle very well 8)

trc

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:33 pm
by gk108
Just beautiful :!:

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 am
by BassMunn
lovely boat - Congrats on the Splash 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:11 am
by ks8
Congrats! :D

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:59 pm
by Hope2float
Lane I just wanted to thank you for the launch. It was a great time for all involved. The little guy, Big Dom, has a memory to last his lifetime. I could remember when I drove my uncle's Chriscraft. The boat handled incredibly well, far above my expectations. The ride was great, it was very quiet both the motor and the hull. Power seemed to be on the high end. Yamaha is rated at the prop. I agree that some form of modification to the prop or motor height would help. There is definitely not a problem with power. The boat is very stable on roll as well. Once again thanks for the opportunity to help with the launch and to see her float for the first time. BTW mine is primed!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:33 am
by FOSTER
Great job!!! Nice boat!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:06 pm
by tech_support
great videos, thank you for sharing them. The boat looks great 8) 8) 8)

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:45 pm
by kdog
Just wanted to congratulate you on your splash Lane. Haven't been around here for a while so I'm catching up on things. That boat is fantastic, great job! I'm on my sixth year with my little OB17 and it's been a blast sharing it with family and friends. I say it in every splash thread, get ready to explain yourself at the boat ramp and dock. You'll be getting lots of attention. :D