HC14 Build - First Ever

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: HC14 Build - First Ever

Post by ks8 »

Looks like you are launching this summer! :D 8)

Regarding the posting of pictures to the forum area:

Acceptable forum image metadata specs:
640 pixels wide x 480 pixels height (it seems the forum accepts up to 800 x 600)
100 DPI or PPI (pixels per inch) or less
file size under 1024k (1 mb)
24 bit color RGB or 8 bit grayscale

I do not know what the forum would do with settings outside (greater than) these ranges. As long as I have stayed within these specs, I have never had a problem. For instance, I do not know if a 48 bit color CMYK image will display or even upload.

Now, putting that into easier language:

JPG images have not only the actual image data, but also something called *metadata*. Forum Web browser pages typically do not show the *metadata* of jpg's, but often utilize some of the metadata for formatting the display of the picture. *Metadata* includes things like:

physical dimensions in inches or pixels
the resolution within those dimensions in DPI or PPI
the camera, lense, speed, f stop, date and time when the image was taken
the GPS coordinates of the image (on many smart phones now)

Many *image* gallery services on the web, like the Coppermine that Bateau uses, does not care too much about metadata. The gallery software figures it out enough to know whether the image is allowable in specified limits of size for the gallery. The webmaster sets some of those limits.

The forum pages are another matter. They might be much more tempermental regarding metadata. The forum pages may not *figure out* how to fit unspecified image dimensions into the forum page display, even though the gallery software is not as picky. Results? One posts to the gallery pages alright, but the links into the forum are rejected.

If needful metadata is NOT present in the image file that is uploaded, the forum pages might not accept it, and give any number of reasons for rejecting the image link, such as the one you are getting.

How does metadata get included in an image file?
The device software capturing the image (scanner, digital camera, smartphone camera) often attaches the metadata, but some device software packages (the software in the device - firmware) do not attach metadata if your preferences or settings do not require it to do so. Who wants to read that manual? :lol:

So, if you are getting that message when trying to post image links, most likely it is either because some metadata is outside of the allowable range that has been specified by a webmaster (and the error message is misleading), or, the image file is missing some required metadata, and the forum software, not being as clever as the gallery software, is not taking the required computer clock cycles to run extra code to *figure it out* (this makes the forum more efficient as long as uploaded images contain the necessary metadata).

Solution:
If your image files are missing required metadata (dimensions and pixel resolution within those dimensions), then simply edit your images in a graphics program, before uploading to the gallery. Use a graphics program that will add the required metadata. I think, these days, just about every editing program adds the metadata to the image file, even if it doesn't tell you that it is doing so, other than in that fine print on page 1073 addendum ZX of the user manual. So open your images in any graphics editing program, look for some command that gives you the ability to specifically assign dimensions and resolution, make sure they are within forum limits, save the file, and THEN upload it into the gallery, finally linking the uploaded gallery image into the forum posting.

If you want users to have access to a higher res image (even though the forum rejects it), upload the higher res image into the gallery only (but it won't link into the forum). Bear in mind also that Bateau has an occasional need to upgrade hardware capacity, if users regularly post very high res images into the galleries. Hardware may be cheaper than ever, but the labor and downtime to accomplish the upgrade is expensive. Sticking with those specs given at the beginning of this post, will work without the need for continual hardware upgrades (we all suffer during the upgrade downtime). :D

The webmaster can provide more exacting details, but, imho, they are not needed at all by the end user (us), and I hope this post already says more than enough to resolve the image posting and linking difficulty, assuming your images are being uploaded to the Bateau galleries. If you are using another gallery service, still, make sure your images have the required metadata before the upload into those other picture gallery services. :)

There is a wide range of experience among the users of these forums at Bateau. If you share what camera and editing software you are using, there is sure to be at least one builder who can tell you what setting to correct so your images will be accepted into the forum pages as well as the galleries. :)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

All that being said... it seems this may not be your problem entirely. I tried linking one of your images and it worked! I used this code (seen here in green text)...

Code: Select all

[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/72342/normal_P7160049.JPG[/img]
ImageP7160049

:)

Then this one:

Code: Select all

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/72342/normal_P7160051.JPG
ImageP7160051

even though this one does display in my browser, it is pushing beyond the specs. Here is the image data for P7160051:

853 is greater than a safer 800, or better still, a 640 pixel width. And the 640 height is greater than a safer max height of 600. And yet, it is displaying! Aim at those dimension specs in the previous post (800x600 max, or safer, 640x480), follow the guidelines of the image *code* by pasting in the full location of the image file according to the gallery, and all should work. :)

I'm thinking that maybe you specified 640 as the height, instead of the width, and your software auto adjusted the width to 853 to keep the images proper proportions. Try to make sure width is 640 (or 800max), and height is 480 (or 600max), and you should be good to go.

It can be said more simply, but hopefully this wordy version can help others in the future also, who find these posts using the search feature. :)

JCordray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JCordray »

Thanks for the tips on the pictures! I had it figured out once before and then forgot. You are using a link to the file's location and I was using the link provided in the photo gallery. I'm trying again here:

That's the work I did last night - two and a half hours of sanding! All was well until the motor burned up on my sander. Then it was elbow grease time with the torture pad. I managed though and was left wondering if the manual labour produces a better result than the machine...

TOTAL TIME SO FAR: 54 Hours

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Getting there! 8)

I had to change pads often on the RO. They dull quickly even on the fairing blends. Nothing like a fresh pad. :) Plan to buy them in bulk... for the next build. :wink: Vacuuming the dust away, often, helps minimize clogging also. A hidden cost in a larger build is replacing the burned out shop vac once (even using a water pre-filter). But it becomes worth it at the first splash. :)

JCordray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JCordray »

Yeah, I don't have a great vacuum so getting rid of the dust is not terribly easy. Today though I have replaced the cheap sander with a Bosch orbital sander with a dust box and hopefully this will keep the place a bit tidier.

The dust looks like this:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=43999 (This is a bigger pic and I didn't downsize it! But I think, thanks to the earlier help, that I have cracked the process for posting pics here.)

It was snowing in my garage!

JCordray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JCordray »

Last night I had a friend come around and help with the canoe a bit. We got the inside cleaned out and then put on the first coat of sealant (International's Interprotect). On to some primer now!

Here is what she looks like:

The paint ran out before the canoe did and so I just added on a coat of epoxy to the near breasthook. I figured this will be just as good as the Interprotect at sealing the canoe against water damage. The coat was applied with a brush so it is pretty thick. What I was really pleased about was how smooth the finish of the epoxy was after having been applied to some very smooth surfaces!

If I am applying primer on top of primer do I need to wait for the overcoating time or can I roll on a new coat when the first is touch dry?

TOTAL BUILD TIME: 54 HOURS

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

You can go with the next coat once the first is touch dry if you just want to pile the paint on thick (you may need to keep the roller wetter to avoid lifting the first coat off), but this will leave more roller texture that will need to be sanded flat. If you want a nice finish you're better off letting each coat cure and giving a light sand between.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

JCordray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JCordray »

Tonight I put on the first coat of primer on the inside of the canoe. Here is what she looks like:

I plan to put another coat of primer on tomorrow night, the first coat of Toplac on the inside on Sunday night, then a second (and final) coat of Toplac on the outside on Monday night and then the final coat of paint on the inside on Tuesday night. Hopefully this will allow a couple of days for the paint on in the inside to cure fully so it can be sanded properly between coats.

Then it will be done! And we'll be off to Tewkesbury to put it in the water and test her out!

TOTAL BUILD TIME: 55.5 HOURS

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee »

Greetings,
You have built fine canoe, and I particularly like your color scheme. Did you mention the brand of paint you used? Anyway, great job.
jaygee

JCordray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JCordray »

I BUILT A BOAT!

There she is! It took me about 8 months to find a little less than 60 hours to get this boat finished but I have thoroughly enjoyed the process!

We put her in the water tonight in the Medway River with some friendly people from the Maidstone Canoe Club. The canoe carried two men and two little men for two hours and about 3 miles. The stability was quite good, especially after we got the boys settled down a bit. It seemed to track well despite my poor steering from the stern. It is quite heavy (I don;t know the exact weight) but I could get it up onto my shoulders alone if I had to. With two men it wasn't too bad lifting the boat onto the car.

The bow and stern shape is quite different to the plans but this is my own fault. Still, I am really pleased with the results! There are loads of ways the boat could be made better in terms of quality of work but this has been a real learning process for me. The result is a boat which doesn't flip itself upside down so I'm happy.

There is a pretty fair amount of room in the boat. We had two little boys in the middle and a man up in the bow. The boys were slightly cramped but not terribly so. They could have had even more room but I'm 6'4" and so my legs take up some room! I didn't do any kneeling because of the boys but I did install the seats a bit lower than the plans suggested so I felt okay with my own balance. Here are the crew:

All in all, I am really pleased! Thanks to all of you for your help, encouragement and to the guys for the plans!