Panga 22 Build - The Saga Begins

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
waterman13
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Panga 22 Build - The Saga Begins

Post by waterman13 »

Fairing in process

waterman13
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waterman13 »

So far the fairing really isnt as bad as everyone makes it seem. I've longboarded then applied fairing compound three times now and as getting close to done. A few questions -

I still need to attach my spray rails, any recommendations for the most effective/ best type to use?

Do you think I need to put a layer of fiberglass tape over my spray rails? Or is just an epoxy coating adequate?

I am going to use sterling paint, do you all recommend the system 3 high build primer or the sterling high build primer? How many gallons of primer do you think I need?

Thanks!!!

cterese12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cterese12 »

I wish i could say the same about fairing. Nice looking build so far. I used 3/4" maple for my spray rails, i think about 1.5-1.75" wide. I taped over them for durability and the bend was pretty tough and i didnt want them to pop off if i hit something.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Looks good. Brings back memories :D I would use a mold and make solid glass/epoxy rails, or use wood and put a layer of glass tape on it. Make sure you glue the rails directly to the glass, not the fairing compound. You may need to grind a little fairing compound away to get a good bond. I would get 2 gallons of primer. That would give you plenty for 2-3 coats, and you'll have a little left over. As for Sterling, a gallon goes a long way. I did 4 coats on my bottom and barely dented the can. A quart did exactly 3 coats on my sides (spray rail to gunnel). Do you plan on a skeg or any strakes? edit: Just saw the skeg :!:
Aloha

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

(Belated) Welcome to the group, Waterman! Fellow Alabama builder here. I'm in Birmingham, but I get down to Orange Beach regularly. Looks like you're doing really well so far. We'll have to organize a South Alabama / West Florida meetup.
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Greetings, You are doing a good job. That's going to be a fun boat to fish the Gulf Coast.