VG20 (Destiny)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: VG20 (Destiny)

Post by cnieves670 »

thanks

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

Recut the floor. I didn't like the wood from the first one. Just trying to get it right the first time.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looks good from here :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

a little more progress

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

i was a little off the measuring hope it doesn't affect the end results.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

I can't tell from the pictures but I recommend having a basket mold frame at the transom station.

I also had a problem with some of the frames near the bow. I made the mistake of assembling the frames from the bow. What you are doing, inserting every third frame or so and then filling in the other frames follows the building notes (I believe) will allow you to tweak to get a "best fit" to all the frames before taping in place.

Another tricky maneuver is fitting the top side panels to get a smooth shear line. John Hoaglund did a very good job on his boat.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

Justin your correct on the frames. I'm installing every third frames because I live in an active hurricane area. Which means at any time from june til nov I may have to move the boat to get all the cars in the garage.
The basket mold I tried to duplicate what came with the instructions but I did place a 2x4 under the transom to help with the weight of entering and exiting.

I think I forgot to mention that I have never built anything out of wood, maybe this is why I'm having the problems with measurements. I'm use to cement where a little off has no affect on the end results. This is the house I'm constructing for my wife now. It has been completely done by myself.
Justin, I'll be preaching again from the 3 til the 9 of july in ocala, If you have the time I would like to stop by and see just wright. If you have the time let me know.

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

You are ambitious. I can't imagine building both a complicated boat and a house at the same time.

I'd be happy to meet with you and show you Just Right. The boat is growing cob webs in the barn right now. Keep me posted about your travel details. The boat is located on Hwy 100, south of Palatka in Andalusia. I live about an hour from the boat.

My comment about the transom frame was that a full frame may help to control the shape.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

cnieves670
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cnieves670 »

After seeing Just Right in person ( thanks justin) I'm motivated to get to work on my boat.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

fab fab fab fab! ah come on men! I can't hold it anymore!! this is to dry to fab too!! :D