Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat (COMPLETE! 8-23)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat (update 5-15)

Post by gstanfield »

Not that I would ever make the mistake of putting my butt blocks on the wrong side...... but if I did I fixed it with my power planer in about a half hour :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I have gotta to get me one of them power planers! :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

They are really handy for a lot of uses, like putting a bevel on the stem frames for a cedar strip canoe :wink:

Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

Well I decided to scrap the sides I had butted together because I really wasn't happy with the cuts on the rear panel anyways. I've got everything cut and am about to go glue up my transom and clamping boards. I cut the transom 21" tall as I've heard from many sources (here most specifically...) that the alleged 20" shaft motors are more like 21-22". Plus, that's the tallest I could cut the transom and clamping boards to fit within the layout of the pieces on the plywood per the plans.

I may have used a bit much glue last night on the butt blocks so I think I'll reduce the amount for when I glue the clamping boards on the transom shortly.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

Cracker Larry wrote:Nothing butt a thing. If you glue your first parts backwards, you'll just go ahead and get it out the way now :D
belt sander the blocks off and keep your panels that you have
Or use a router to trim them back down flush. Or even the circular saw, it would be faster than the sander, anyway. Set the blade depth the thickness of the block, clamp on a little jig and saw it off one blade width at a time.

If it were mine, I wouldn't use butt blocks at all on the side panels, I'd use a fiberglass splice instead. A piece of 6" biax tape on each side will hold it fine. The problem with the butt blocks is that when you bend the panels over the frames they create a wide flat spot, they don't bend like the rest of the panel, so they are a bugger to fair out. Unless you don't mind a big flat spot :wink:

Extra wood is always nice too 8)
let me clarify ... :oops: :roll: :wink: :wink:

I used a chisel to remove the bulk of the butt block then used a sander to clean up the rest 8) :wink:
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

I tried chiseling it off but wasn't pleased with the job I did. I got the new side panels cut and the new butt blocks glued on this evening. Tomorrow I'll start assembling the pieces of the puzzle and hopefully they'll fit!

I did a much cleaner cut on the side panels this time and am pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

I'll be gluing the rest of the cleats on within the next few days and hopefully flipping next week!

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

I was able to get the rest of the cleats glued, extra partitions and cleats for the foamed compartments cut and the rub rails glued today. All of our staff is here now and we've been pretty heavy into the staff training so I've been quite busy!

The cleats are glued and cut in the bow platform. I need to install and glue a backing for the bow eye and bow line cleat shortly.

Also, Zman baits donated a few boxes of lures, dredges, skirts, plastic ballyhoo, squids, and more to us down here at the Florida Sea Base! We're ever thankful and I can't wait to start dragging these bad boys next week! It's always good when a such a great company is so generous for a good cause.

Last edited by Rapchizzle on Wed May 23, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Dang Chris, you are moving along:!: I think you've got the Sea Base crew helping you build that boat too 8) Good on ZMan, they make some great baits. What a haul!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Rapchizzle's GF14 - Creek Rat (update 5-22)

Post by cedarock »

The boat looks nice and you are making good progress! I love to hear when a company supports a good cause....thanks for sharing.