SUP build - Shine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SUP build - Shine

Post by tech_support »

deck is glued down and the topside seams are rounded and glasses (will upload those pictures later)

I forgot to epoxy the backing pates under the deck, so the eyelets will have to be mounted out to the edge where there are cleats to help hold screws. She is still very light :) Hope to water test it this weekend

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

taped the top and bottom seams with 6 oz tape, covered deck with 4 oz cloth.

Sanded the tape edges so that it will be easier to fair. Glued some fins on. Next will fillet around the fins then give the entire outside a coat of epoxy.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Nice work Joel. Great SUP. Can't wait to see it on the water. 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

hp010101
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hp010101 »

I cant wait to start 1. my wife got impatient and kinda made me buy her a 11' SUP and its fun but i look forward to making mine.
I will be adding a simple mast hole I think. Here in the keys I can paddle up wind from my canal entry and almost sail back with just the wind at my back. I think it would be pretty neat to unfurl a sail and haul ass home. I don't mean a complicated sail just a simple affair on a short removable mast. I imagine you have already liquidated the one you had behind the shop.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I like the idea of having an option to make it a sail board... even if not high performance... :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I will add an option for a mast step but don't expect great performance under sail.
We are going to add a few improvements like a deck stiffener and fine tune the assembly a little bit more.
As it is, the lightness is impressive. I guess it will end up being 35 lbs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I guess it will end up being 35 lbs.
Wow, that is light. The hull shape is sweet too. It might actually sail pretty good :D By comparison a Mistral Superlight sailboard weighs a little over 30 pounds, not counting the dagger board, and it's not quite as thick. That was always Mrs. Crackers favorite sailboard for light wind. You would need to add a kick up dagger board slot to get windward performance, but I'd bet that with a 6 to 9 meter sail on a sailboard rig, plus a dagger board, it would sail very well. Might even need some foot straps and a harness :D :D Granted it isn't a wave jumper, but in flat water and a decent breeze it would go 8)

It would take a little trial and error to get the mast step and dagger board in the right places so that CE and CLR are close to centered, but I think it could sail real nice.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Here is a SUP rigged with a sailboard rig. They claim 34 knots :D Don't know if that's true, but it looks to be fast. I've outrun a lot of powerboats with a sailboard :D When I get caught up I'm might have to build one of those, without the paddle.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconi ... traps.html
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

hp010101
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hp010101 »

That video was awesome but way more performance than I am hoping for. I am thinking a hole the size of a broom stick diameter. I noticed when I paddle board I dont use the center of the deck so I can lay it there lengthwise and pop it in and deploy when the conditions are right. Im kinda in a unique area on ramrod key where I have lots of skinny water and several different lee areas. Doubt I would ever go out to paddle board at even greater than 10 knots but the entry of this board is much better than my wifes board we bought her. Hers is very flat and slaps the water making lots of noise which scares the sharks and rays a lot.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Impressive video.
I was an avid sailboarder too, had several Mistral's including a short light sinker and several masts and sails, some very large.
I am not that strong anymore and talking about the SUP, I was thinking of a small sail manageable by a beginner. A sail to bring you home, not break records. No harness.
The mast step will increase the weight by 1 or 2 lbs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com