Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Aripeka Angler's PY12 Build

Post by Aripeka Angler »

You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Aripeka Angler wrote:You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?
It's gonna sound dumb, but, yes and no. I can get into some skinny water (but remember, I ain't talking about Florida flats skinny). When I can't use the drive, I pick up the paddle. The turbo's are longer than the regular fins, so they won't go as skinny.
You can also make short strokes when the water gets tight.
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

frazoo wrote:
Aripeka Angler wrote:You guys have me pondering the Mirage drive. Looks like a cool system 8) Does is work OK in less than a foot of water?
It's gonna sound dumb, but, yes and no. I can get into some skinny water (but remember, I ain't talking about Florida flats skinny). When I can't use the drive, I pick up the paddle. The turbo's are longer than the regular fins, so they won't go as skinny.
You can also make short strokes when the water gets tight.

Thanks. I guess I need to go to the kayak shop in Tampa and take a look at one these rigs. Can you ground the kayak without damaging the drive?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

If I remember right, there is a "fins flush to the hull" position mentioned in my owners manual (I'm at work tonight and can't check it). Two guys I know launch and land on beaches, but, they pull the drive out for that and then slip it in place. There is one guy that beaches his with it in, but he's damned rough on his equipment. I always see $$$ signs and won't try it.
Most Hobie dealers will let you test drive/ride one before you buy. If you give a good report on the yak, I believe I'll put my drive in it.
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

frazoo wrote:If I remember right, there is a "fins flush to the hull" position mentioned in my owners manual (I'm at work tonight and can't check it). Two guys I know launch and land on beaches, but, they pull the drive out for that and then slip it in place. There is one guy that beaches his with it in, but he's damned rough on his equipment. I always see $$$ signs and won't try it.
Most Hobie dealers will let you test drive/ride one before you buy. If you give a good report on the yak, I believe I'll put my drive in it.
Interesting, thanks! How does the drive come out without water coming in?

I got the panels glued together this morning. Maybe I can splice the other side this afternoon?

I made myself a platform to work on, it was much easier than laminating on the slab. I screwed some strips down across the panels to keep the joints nice and level...

That's it for now :)
Richard

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Richard I believe all the answers to your questions are in this vid http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

peter-curacao wrote:Richard I believe all the answers to your questions are in this vid http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/821/
Thanks Peter 8) I understand how it works now.
Richard

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

You can place the fins in the flush position against the hull by simply pushing one of the pedals full forward I believe. Folks say they are pretty tough and parts are replaceable. The drive fits through the hull without leaking because it's a bit like a sailboat centerboard set up. With the PY12's sole self draining the trunk the drive fits into wouldn't have to be very high I I'd guess, but it may be a bit of a challenge to install. I did find this one link to a guy who put one in:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/art ... e/free.cfm

Havin' fun daydreaming Dougster

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Dougster wrote:You can place the fins in the flush position against the hull by simply pushing one of the pedals full forward I believe. Folks say they are pretty tough and parts are replaceable. The drive fits through the hull without leaking because it's a bit like a sailboat centerboard set up.
It does Indeed, fins flush you can see at 200 sec and through hull install and removal you can see at 58 sec

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

OK, the peer pressure has gotten to me :lol: I will give the Mirage drive a go. If any of you guys spot a deal, please let me know. Austin kayak is the place I bought some stuff for the strip canoe. They sell the standard drive unit for $505. Maybe there is a cheaper place :wink:
Richard