Benny & Brent xf20 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Benny & Brent xf20 build

Post by TomW1 »

I would tend to disagree Nida Core is fragile on the edges. You normally fill the open cells with a epoxy/fiber compound, per there instructions. I would like plywood line it up on the frames with there added runners. Jacques is really the one to ask.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Yeah , hoping Jacques will give me a suggestion on that. He responded earlier (recommending 12 oz , 1 layer on bottom, 2 on top) . I'm have 12 oz and 17 oz on hand, plus tape. Probably could
use a combination of both. I'm thinking the 2 in Nicacore will be plenty stiff either way I go so long as the unfinished edges are sitting on a cleat and get tabbed in.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

I'm still not sure how to finish the edges on the 2" nidacore on the gunnels. Does it need to be faced with 4 or 6mm ply and covered with tape on the edges or will 6" tape and biax cloth work . It will take a lot of
thickened epoxy if I just fill in the edges and glass it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You could use plywood to face it. I have laid up a thin piece of glass and used that for a face also. I think the next time I will use a strip of divinacell and glass it on when I am laying the panel glass. Filling in the ends with puddy is both a pain and does not work all that good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Bennny, Happy 74th birthday! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Happy Birthday!! Jeff

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Thanks for the B'day wishes. Great to still be able to do this stuff and have this kind of help available.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

I'm still in the process of cleaning and trimming up the old sole. Trimming edges to accomodate the 2" nidacore. I have a jack plate that will be installed this time when I mount the 90hp Suzuki back on the transom.
Thinking about doubling up on the transom knees and making them a little higher on the transom, just in case extra strength is need for the jack plate. Original 2" transom has held up very good but I am removing
the splash well and the reinforcement it provided. Any comments?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you are removing the splash well you are going to need something else to reinforce the transom. Maybe as JM for his advice? A picture of what things look like would help :wink:

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

The splash well is cut out and I plan to put a platform (like a poling platform ) over the open bilge area and leave the area open where the splash well and rear deck was. My thinking is, enlarging the transom knees would be better than making the whole transom thicker.
20220507_173402.jpg
20220507_163427.jpg