Benny & Brent xf20 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Benny & Brent xf20 build

Post by Benny Howard »

Joel, thanks for the info and pointers on foam and strakes when we ordered supplies. We ordered 18 sheets of 3/8 ply for the build, sole and center console. We should have some left over if we use 2 sheets for the console. Can I use the scraps and extra sheets to make the frames. There is not enough to cut full frames as a single piece but we will have enough scrap etc. to make laminated boards for the 1 x 3's the plans call for(if that is a good idea) , or can the transom be made by laminating instead of using a single piece clamp board. Just trying to find the best use and waste as little as possible.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Benny & Brent xf20 build

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Benny Howard wrote:Joel, thanks for the info and pointers on foam and strakes when we ordered supplies. We ordered 18 sheets of 3/8 ply for the build, sole and center console. We should have some left over if we use 2 sheets for the console. Can I use the scraps and extra sheets to make the frames. There is not enough to cut full frames as a single piece but we will have enough scrap etc. to make laminated boards for the 1 x 3's the plans call for(if that is a good idea) , or can the transom be made by laminating instead of using a single piece clamp board. Just trying to find the best use and waste as little as possible.
I made my frames out of plywood panels. You most certainly can use scrap 3/8 doubled to make the frames instead of using dimensional lumber. Be sure to stagger the joints in the frames.

The stern and bow transom were made out of 1/2 inch plywood in my 2007 vintage plans. I used a piece of 1 inch ply for my clamping board. If I were you, I would use 3 strips of 3/8 for the clamping board. I used 18 sheets of 3/8 and 1 sheet of 1/2 when I built my boat.
Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Thanks for the reply :D , That gives me some confidence in decisions as we "whittle" this plan down. Wood and supplies arrived this week so we will start full bore over the Labor Day weekend. Brent and I will start posting on a builder thread soon.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

We added first gallery pics but have some more going in as soon as I can get them downloaded. Ran in to our first real problem but discovered it was from not following directions. We tried to align the stringers on the frame by using cleats and the bottom did not sit right on the stringers. When we took out the cleats everything relaxed and fell right into place, sides lined up perfect but one stringer was 1/4 in. too long. Remeasured and checked the square and it is dead on. (Should have trusted the build notes). Finished taping outside and installing the rub rail yesterday (9/25). Plan to flip it and start inside work today.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Boat is now flipped with the inside chines taped and one stringer halfway taped. Had to hold up a couple of days and order some more wood flour. Have some more coming today along with epoxy tint and a laminating roller. Lately I have been going through as many threads as possible for info on the chase tubes, sole cleating, storage design ideas etc.. for the inside. Anyone is welcome to chime in if you have ideas or see a thread with good info that I may have missed or need reminding of.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Gluing the stringers down was an adventure. Getting the stringers flat on the bottom took a lot of weight to maintain the fillet size and make sure the bottom followed the stringer shape (They laid in closer than I thought they would). The hull is glassed and we are starting to fit frames. We put the D frame in first since the E frame is going to be moved back a few inches and will have to be fitted. We did the inside bottom in shorter strips since Brent was apprehensive about trying to lay that much 1708 in a single run. It worked out well though and we were able to do the sides in a single piece.

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

We are trying to keep progress pics posted. Seem to be about half way and have about 200 hrs in the build, but getting better at it as we go. All of the frames are in and the console is ready to build in the baitwell and cover w/10oz. We are debating on whether to go ahead and flip it again or install the sole and decks first.

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

Hi, where are the pics? Sounds like your making great progress!

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

Not to adept at moving them from the album to builders thread yet. I have some posted in the gallery.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Just open the image, right click on it and select "copy image location", then paste it in your reply window, highlight it with your cursor and select "Img" at the top of your reply box.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose