FS14 OZ

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 OZ

Post by tobolamr »

Your glass work looked great! I'm interested to see how your electronics work out in the end, too!

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

just a quick update.

the skeg is on, rub rail is on, transom clamping board is on, started fairing the bottom with the sides to follow.

Ive found it difficult to get a thin even layer of fairing material on the hull, hopefully will get better the more i do it.

i have drilled and filled holes for drain bung, water pickup and water outlet whihc are now ready to be redrilled at the final size. need to drilland fill the tow/tie down points on the transom and the bow.

things are progressing well, replacement gearsets for the steering arrived, free of charge!!! great customer service from the supplier. fuel guages are going to home brewed using weight sensors to determine level (all other sensors are way to expensive over $200AUD)

Quick question for everybody that has done painting. im wanting to paint the outside of the hull before i flip it over, but once it is flipped over im putting a gunwale around to help cover up and protect the rubrail. in regards to gluing the gunwale on and not spoiling the already painted hull, what are peoples solutions???? i was thinkning a pin stripe or some type of feature that is a natural breakline to cover any missmatch. suggestings thoughts please.

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

hi all,
sorry it has been a long time since i have been on and posted. the boat has taken a back seat this last two years, buying a house has taken up a lot of my time, fixing things up. Back onto the boat now though and I have a few photos

boat in the new shed on the home built aluminium trailer.

Undercoat on, used dulux sandable primer (high build epoxy primer) it was hopeless rolling and brushing. It had a good pot life but as soon as it was rolled out in a thin film you had less than seconds to tip it off. Tried the first coat no thinning, second coat 5% thinners. The thinners helped but not to the standard that I was hoping. It then got a good sand with 150 grit ( there was at least 6months until the next coat) to achieve good adhesion, and a smooth base after the horrible coats. Third coat was applied with brush only and no thinners, this was the best result so far, less brush marks and much smoother. Next day forth coat brush only with 2% thinners. Best results of all the undercoats. Image

The top coat is dulux durathane poly ureathane, supposed to be very hard with good uv resistance. Gave the hull a light sand to have the best possible base for the final high gloss coats. This was applied with roller and then tipped off, and this work well.
Definitely not to a spraying standard, but with the boat being on hold for a couple of years I need to move to the next stage perfection or not. I will be putting the second topcoat on today, and the red pinstripe tomorrow.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good! It must feel nice to be moving again, every step gets closer to the launch. :D
Hank

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

Thanks pee wee
I did get the pin stripe done it just took a while to upload. Chemical bond between all paint layers.

Now to spend some time making a cradle to turn the hull over.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Man that thing has to be light enough to turn over with two guys. My son and I flipped my GF16 with no problem.
She's looking good 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

I sent the day building the cradle read to flip and get one more step closer to launch!
I have laid carpet down to stop the paint getting a scratched.

12mm ply with ladder frame to prevent too much flexing.

square up and leveled. I only have to make a support for the bow and then I need a to get a few people to help with the flip. The cradle I think will weigh more than the hull!

A quick question, is it worth putting Castor wheels on the cradle to be able to move the boat around? Has anyone put castor wheels on their cradle?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am pretty sure more folks put castors on than not. I know for me I would be lost if I could not move the boat around when I wanted to. And speaking of castors, bigger is better in this case. If you get them way oversized they will be just right when you build the next boat :lol:
Fuzz

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Definitely put it on wheels. Iv'e built one with and one without. Its worth it for sure.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

Definitely it is ideal to have castor wheels on the building cradle. Choose the ones with a stop for the wheels and that they can swivel in all directions. I push my 250 kg boat around on these wheels all by myself.

It looks then something like this:

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433