OD18 by CHarris

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Bigger, much bigger..... Here's a link.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/bo_maintenanc ... 60,00.html

odras
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by odras »

That link says it all, the heavier the better. 2 gauge and if you can get tinned wire all the better. The boat looks great ! Be proud man!

Bill
Take your kid fishing!

JamesSloan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JamesSloan »

If I recall correctly, the general rule for wiring specs is that the gauge is quoted "one way". If the wire has to return, or continue, past a fixture then you have to increase the wire size as appropriate. The best book I've seen on the subject is by Charlie Wing, although there are some good web sites too. Try Ancor Marine at http://www.ancorproducts.com. They have some good info and a listing of all the ABYC standards for wiring. There's also a "wiring calculator". Both references are under the Technical Information tab on the home page.

odras
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by odras »

Sorry I can't quote some website or some book . I only have real life expierence. Go with the largest wire you can get, and you'll never be sorry.

Bill
Take your kid fishing!

Evildwarf

Post by Evildwarf »

Go for the 2 gauge, chances are you will wind up putting other power items on it.But the less the chance for failure is minimized.Evid.Build on dude. 8) BTW,very nice work,looks great. 8)

CHarris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CHarris »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked here first before I screwed up my wiring.

2 gauge it is.

Chris
OD18