AR15 - Expensive Therapy

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

A friend of mine had the same type of concerns on one of our "excursions" to such pleasantly placed pubs at beaches. The tide was also rising as we had lunch and he managed to solve his troubles, by taking a looooong rope with him to the pub "varanda" where we all were. That way he simply pulled his "boat" up the beach when neccessary, while the remaining of us had to go down to the beach and "rescue" our boats from the tide. It was really funny to watch him with the rope tied to his chair.

Oh, don't now if it makes a difference, but we were kayaking . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding Rich, although the story is true.

JG

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Been to the boatyard, some more things off my to do list - changed jib sheet cleats for nice spinlock powercleats, fitted the spi lead tracks and measured up for the transom washboard. If push came to shove, I could use the spinnaker now, although I would prefer to have it's 'hammock' ready...

My nice (expensive) new cleats...

The rudder and stock (as promised)

The outboard bracket is also plain to see...

The orange line is the rudder uphaul and the yellow the downhaul. The yellow line has a neato little camcleat that has an adjustable release so it can kick up on grounding...

Jacques, yes, it's all pottering around inside the breakwater - Cawsand (where the pub is ) is due West of the breakwater, so a nice, sheltered area for the first full day of sailing...

Perhaps I should post a small chart so people can see what I'm banging on about when I describe my little adventures...

Rich
Check out my AR-15, Expensive Therapy, in builders

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Serious investment in hardware. It looks good.
What was that picture you posted and removed in the gallery? It looks interesting. I was checking that new V12 pic when I saw it coming up and then going away.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

Great layout Rich. It makes us want to get in and . . . sail, sail, sail!

You're making me nervous . . . I got to start mine [-o< .

JG

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

The picture is back there now Jacques - It also appears in a couple of the threads about new designs - it was just my musing on the sportboat, but the original resize didn't look good - used different software and it's OK now...

Rich

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great pictures of happy people in the boat, sailing. Great example of how she trims with 4 people. I'm getting tempted, but that must wait until the Caravelle is finished and has two good seasons in her.

thanks Rich! ,
ks

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

KS wrote:
I'm getting tempted, but that must wait until the Caravelle is finished and has two good seasons in her.
By then, surely Jacques has released his new larger models (VG27, VG30 and a 40' that he told us about today) and that will give you (and me) lots to think of besides the AR15 :wink: . Also, hopefully mine AR will be sailing by then as well (I will not be able to finish her for this summer as I wished :cry: )

Cheers.
JG

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Hello Jonnas,

Tempted yes, but I would really like a bluewater boat. The larger Vagabond sounds even more tempting, but I've got to be on the water more than in a tent building, as much as I enjoy the building. I may, (is it blasphemous?) shop for a used Clorox bottle. I've been eye'ing the Nor'Sea 27 for years, but they're asking quite a bit for them. Now, if I had a year off, I could build a Vagabond. But then I could also be on the water for that year. No such decisions, as I said, until the Caravelle is finished and has had many travels locally and in lakes upstate NY and Vermont and Florida. We'll see... the calendar pages flutter by quickly in proportion to the things you'd like to accomplish. Its one of those laws. I'll give you another that helps red lights turn green faster, but this is one of my most powerful secrets. Careful who you share it with...

Always have something very important you can get done in the car, while waiting at red lights. It is AMAZING how fast they turn green! Of course, there are also people, here in NY, 14 cars back, who feel it their duty to blow their horn the second the light turns green. A friend of mine is an NYC cop. He has a good idea. Require all NYC taxis to have pain threshold horns installed INSIDE the car also. hmmmm....

sincerely,
ks

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

ks8 wrote:The larger Vagabond sounds even more tempting, but I've got to be on the water more than in a tent building, as much as I enjoy the building. I may, (is it blasphemous?) shop for a used Clorox bottle.
KS (what does that stand for, anyway?), buy a 1972 Newport 27 for $6,000 and sail it while you are working on your VG27.

It is such an easy solution...

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

I don't know if this will help, but here's a small map of where I sail... The boat is kept in Torpoint and I do most of my sailing in the sound...

Rich