PY12 Build - NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dienster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PY12 Build - NC

Post by Dienster »

Vanagod wrote:Does this boat not have taped seams on the inside of the hull?
It does, you just tape the center seam of the top and then remove it to take care of the inside.

I should have read your build over as I have been progressing on mine, I may have saved some effort. I think I would have been well served flipping my canoe after initial stitching and tack-welding. There is alot of shaping sanding I will have to do now instead where boards did not line up exactly where I wanted them to.
I think this calls for flipping because the kayak parts completely enclose the frames and mold, I'm not sure how well that would work with a canoe.
I also have a colder work area. Typically my garage is about 40*F in the morning. What I will do is keep the epoxy jugs indoors so they stay warm and fluid and then light up the propane heater to bring the shop up to 55 or so. (I am using fast hardener.) Once I am ready for stuff to cure, I move the heater closer to the boat and let the garage warm up and things seem to cure up in 24 hours. Of course today, I let the garage get up to 70+, and that fast epoxy lit off twice before I was ready for it to. Good reason to keep the batches small.
I want to get a heat lamp or something to get the epoxy up to ~80 degrees for the big layups. I can deal with a few extra ounces for taping but doing the broadcloth can suck up some epoxy if I can't get it to flow well.
Please keep up the posts. By when do you think you will have her splashed?
I was shooting for last May. This May would be nice.

Vanagod
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Vanagod »

How did you transfer the epoxy putty from the mixing pot to the baggie for filling in the fillets? I am thinking of doing that for my bows, but with how thick the epoxy is, all I can think of doing is scraping it out and scraping it to the side of the bag. I wonder too if I am mixing my putty too thick. My first batch sagged through gaps, so I made it a bit thicker for my second batch. If I mix that thick, I imagine that the baggie might just blow out instead of extruding putty.
-Aaron
"A-Ron the relentless"

Soli Deo Gloria
Semper Reformanda

Dienster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dienster »

Vanagod wrote:How did you transfer the epoxy putty from the mixing pot to the baggie for filling in the fillets? I am thinking of doing that for my bows, but with how thick the epoxy is, all I can think of doing is scraping it out and scraping it to the side of the bag. I wonder too if I am mixing my putty too thick. My first batch sagged through gaps, so I made it a bit thicker for my second batch. If I mix that thick, I imagine that the baggie might just blow out instead of extruding putty.
I put the bag in a Guinness pint glass and folded over the excess bag. Then just scraped it into the corner of the bag as best I could.

Make sure to tape the opposite side with masking tape if you don't want to deal with sagging.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

Looking good so far Dienster

Are you still around? How are things going with the build?

cheers,
scott

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Yes. How's the progress? :)

Dienster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dienster »

Progress has stalled for a while. We moved last November and I need the other house to sell or rent before I can build my shop and get productive. All my tools are packed into half of the 2 car garage and basically unusable since my wife claimed half for her new car.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

When the dust settles, jump back in. :D Looking forward to seeing the completed boat. :)