PH16 by Chalk

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

About the 1' 6" becoming 16", we are aware of that. You are not the first one making that mistake. Last year, we switched to another dimension style. Instead of showing 6' 1-1/4", we now show 73-1/4".
No mistake possible that way.
(BTW, if I design in inches, I type 73.25)
We will update all the old plans one by one.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

12/28/03 - I got the stringers cut out and bulkhead A, man typing this was alot quicker :wink: ...
I got a little concerned with this one....It's the inside stringer,
C is 9 5/8", D is 8 7/8" and E is 9", doesn't D look like a
hook? I rested my faith in the plans and marched on :roll: .

This is the sheet..I cut out one stringer, screwed and clamped it to
a piece of plywood, roughed it out with a jigsaw, then used my
router with a top bearing, flush laminate bit. It saved some time,
but it has some drawbacks too. If you accidentally tilt the router in towards
the piece it will gouge it...I did it a few times, I keep hearing Jacques saying gaps are good :wink:

Here is the product of a days work, look close and you can see a gouge
on the lower stringer, it was worth it to me.

I need to recut bulkhead D, cut the hull panels and the transom, then I should be ready for some epoxy and fiberglass.

I used a respirator and safety glasses today, it helped protect my eyes and sinuses today. I highly recommend everyone use a respirator if they have any kind of sinus problems.

Until next time......

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

12/31/03 - Well, I think I finished the year out pretty good today....Got the side panels cut out with foot & half sponsons....I cut the bottom panel out, I still need to add the sponsons and cut the match. I started at 9:00 and finished at 6:00. Helped my neighbor fix his roof for about an hour and a half, lunch and email breaks..I'm beat, hope I can see the ball drop, probably will be my eye lids :lol: ...

Tip of the day: I am using five saw horses, could use two more, but I think less than five wouldn't be enough.

Good tool tip (had to pass this one): I had been buying spring clamps
all along, the last ones I bought was the mixed bag of clamps from Lowes, the plastic ones. They are okay and had been using them. Well today I needed some more so I went into the tool room and got my little Pony spring clamps out. Night and day difference in the Pony clamps and the cheap ones. Get the Pony orange spring clamps, strong like bull :wink: :lol: .

Bottom Panel

Side Panel
Last edited by Chalk on Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BilltheCat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BilltheCat »

String some lights .... and keep going if you're on a roll! Don't forget to drink lots of water - have coffee on hand. If you're not using power tools the neighbors don't mind a 4 a.m. start!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the P16-S

Dave
The secret is in the oooze!

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Hehehe - I had gotten that bag of mixed clamps from Lowe's also! - Just to find several of them broken the next day, since I overextended them - had to use some small ones for a bigger job than they were made for, I guess. ;)

Turns out that the big ones and the real small ones work OK- It was the medium sized ones that were weak for some reason.

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

I remember those "Bag O' Clamps". About 40% of them broke the first day, the rest were fine. Bad resin batches I guess. I didn't use any saw horses. I cut panels on the floor with 2X4s holding the sheets up in just the right spots. I didn't have the space required for saw horses, but I'd bet it made it easier. If you don't get saw horses, get some knee pads, you'll need them for glassing the insides anyway.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

01/11/04 - Not much to report, except it is cold, for south Georgia anyway :wink: .....I got the other bottom panel cut out, that only leaves me with the transom and bulkhead D to cut out.

I decided not to go with the sponsons, reasons were, took up more room and for creek fishing it equated to more boat in the creek, if you understand. I fish some pretty narrow tidal creeks.

Hope to have some warmer days so I can glue some panels together and start stitching the hull up.

Until next time, 8)

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

Finally got around to a little more work this weekend. Spliced the inside stringers together, got one side done on the outside stringers and a side panel. 4 ounce batches of epoxy seem to be working for me, I made sure to have something ready to make good use of any left over epoxy. My plans are to have all the panels spliced together this week, weather permitting.

Until next time happy building.. 8)

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

I just remembered my pics were gone, cause I changed service, I will correct that in a couple of days.

Side panels are spliced together, started putting the bottom panels together today. I can lay oneside of a bottom panel, spread 4 oz of epoxy and scan my hard drive at the same time :wink: :lol:

Until next time, keep building..

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

She is starting to look like something, might even look like a boat by tomorrow :D

Picture won't post? :doh:

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/waterm ... 0_0149.jpg