D5 - OneOff I

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

oy. you're getting worse than me! Fairing the interior? I didn't bother with that, but then with the way I sand, it is almost like fairing, but with epoxy as the fairing compound. Tough sanding. You must like sanding too? It's hard to see the bad epoxy work you are speaking of. Looks pretty good in those shots. I'm overdoing on the seat compartments, but that is because of the lack of access for future maintenance.

I think the main thing I'm doing under there is a GOOD epoxy seal, mostly rounded corners, and smoothed biax edges, so there are no cuts or bruises when quickly reaching in there for any reason.

I suppose your D5 will look nice faired, but are you going to use high gloss or semi? Light color? Neutral color? If you're putting any sort of antiskid on the floor, you might not want to spend too much time on the fairing. But perhaps seal it well when all is said and done. I've put two coats of straight epoxy under the seats and hope to be priming soon. I think only two coats of topcoat , the last being crosslinked. Under the seats, I hope it outlasts the rest of the boat! Yes, it has added weight. When I flip it for the centerboard case, I'll weigh it! :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing the D5 launched. I hope my Caravelle will be in the water in sept. So your D5 will be one of the inspirations for me to finish. You look like you will be finished very quickly.

sincerely,
ks

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

oy. you're getting worse than me! Fairing the interior?
I think you still hold that honour. :)
You must like sanding too? It's hard to see the bad epoxy work you are speaking of. Looks pretty good in those shots.
I hate sanding especially as it warms up here. As for the epoxy, I had a lot of runs, from when I was trying out some poor mans ply using 6mm plastic. I figured it would be easier to sand the Quickfair over sanding straight epoxy.
suppose your D5 will look nice faired, but are you going to use high gloss or semi? Light color? Neutral color? If you're putting any sort of antiskid on the floor, you might not want to spend too much time on the fairing. But perhaps seal it well when all is said and done.
Thanks Ks8, I am trying for that finish, when I tell someone that I built the boat, they don't come back and say something like 'I can tell'. :lol:
I am going to use S3's white on the outside with some red accent stripes and a few coats of clear coat. I will use the same white on the inside with 4 antiskid sections in gray on the floor. This will give me a chance to try the antiskid before trying it on my next boat. I liked MadRus's red cushions, so I thought I would also add them to give a color change on the inside to match the outside stripes.
I'm looking forward to seeing the D5 launched. I hope my Caravelle will be in the water in sept. So your D5 will be one of the inspirations for me to finish. You look like you will be finished very quickly.
Lets say your boat has given me inspirations on my next boat to do a better job during the construction stage. Your quality is top notch.
The end is getting closer with the only major construction issue is what mast to build or buy. I may build one of Jacques composite mast to get a feel for the construction and cost issues. The D5 and this forum has taught me alot, about S&G. Hopefully this new knowledge will come in handing during my next build.
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Lets say your boat has given me inspirations on my next boat to do a better job during the construction stage.
blush. I do wish I had used better wood, but part of the project is to test mass market grade exterior on these sorts of boats. Of course I don't know how well the test will be accurate since I have overbuilt beyond the normal instructions and plans. I'm almost ready to prime the starboard seat chambers. Every milestone certainly helps keep me going.

It looks like the launching ramp is your motivation now! Won't be much longer with that boat, unless you get infected by mod mania! I will not have all mods finished this year, but I must have all the mount structures in place for them, else I'd be painting already, probably last year!

I know what you mean by someone saying, *yea, we can tell*. But some people would say that to a recently new mother regarding her newborn baby, if the mother should say, *I made it myself (with Daddy's help)*.

Happy fairing the interior and fending off the disbelief. My rough biax floor won't be seen below the teak floor grates. Unless someone gets more curious....

sincerely,
ks

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

So what's wrong with fairing the interior? I did my whole cockpit and even under the foredeck!!!

Perhaps that's why people keep asking me where I got the moulds from!?!

Rich
Check out my AR-15, Expensive Therapy, in builders

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

richstrat wrote:
So what's wrong with fairing the interior? I did my whole cockpit and even under the foredeck!!!
Rich, the nice folks at the Royal Hospital for Obsessive Compulsive Disorders just called. Apparently, a shipping container of Quick Fair has just been delivered from an address in Florida. It has your name on it. You wouldn't know anything about this, would you?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

I haven't been fairing the floors (yet), but I sanded like *crazy* under the seats in those compartments! Sometimes you just get involved.... :?

But I know I won't get cut on anything under there when reaching in for anything. It is all smo-o-o-o-o-othhhhh...

Rich,

I didn't mean to imply you are nuts if you do fair the interior. I was speaking at the time from frustratus maximus launchus datusitis. :lol:

sincerely,
ks

Big-Red
New Poster
New Poster

Contact ArizonaBuilder

Post by Big-Red »

I would like to make contact with ArizonaBuilder. I also live in the Phoenix area and would like to meet and talk to a boat builder for advice and knowledge. E-mail: david.luke@asg.com

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

I also live in the Phoenix area and would like to meet and talk to a boat builder for advice and knowledge
There is no better advice than what is given here on this forum.
I was a total novice not 9 months ago. I have however picked up a lot of knowledge from the guys on this forum.

We can meet if you want to discuss boats and the stitch and glue process.

I will be moving in the next couple of days as I have sold my house.
My new location will be near glendale road and 19th Ave. After I get settled in and Jacques releases the MinCruiser 14. I will start building once again.

What boat are you thinking about building?
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

pilotsailor
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pilotsailor »

I tried to send you a PM, but the site is not letting me do it. I'm in Mesa, AZ and I'm thinking of building a D5. I've got a few plywood questions if you don't mind. My email is wingbolt@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Pilotsailor

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

The PM function has been disabled.