a GV13 build...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ausie
Active Poster
Active Poster

GV13

Post by ausie »

Alex,
At the rate you are going,we might have to delay our first Aus Bateau get-together,as it won't be all that long before you will be able to estimate completion....by then,a few other boats might be ready too....no hurry ,really.

Are you putting level floor in?

Looking good.

Al Burke.

alexit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexit »

Can you keep a secret Al?
I am now painting and looking at launching early March...
You see I got right into the build and had no time to update any posts here, so I figured I'll wait and post to this forum every couple of days to update the work I have done over the last.... well I only started early January!
And yeah, I have raised the sole as well as other mods....
Where bouts do you use your GV11?
alex

alexit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexit »

now...getting down to it...
I found the fillets went down easy easy easy, and almost always wet on wet.
As I said before, I used a West System (I was wrong before, I used #403) mix for convenience sake, though towards the end of construction I moved on to woodfloor saved from the belt sander and put through a sieve.
The West stuff is nicer to use, just a bit smoother under the blade. Though really, the homemade woodfloor is fine. Just make sure to remove any bits.
First I cleaned up the joints, and cut the bias tape to lengths, then went around and pre-coated all the joints.
I used a plastic spoon to shape the fillets before laying down the glass, wetting it out and finally rolling the glass into the fillet with a small metal fibreglass roller.
These fibreglass rollers are great. recommended A+
I took the time while the fillets went off to cut out the seating and the hatches for the first dry fit.
I just had to see what this baby was going to look like.
Last edited by alexit on Mon May 07, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ausie
Active Poster
Active Poster

a GV13 build

Post by ausie »

Alex,

Your progress is amazing!

& no, I can't keep a secret( esp on this forum).

GV11 is used(not as often as I would like) on Lake Macquarie, Newcastle Harbour & Hunter River,& Port Stephens.

The facilities to which you have access clearly make this progress possible....but that's your good fortune.

I'll ring you soon & hopefully get together with you to look at your project.You might like to email me a contact number privately.

Al Burke.

alexit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexit »

Ok, by now I have all the frames in and glassed and are starting on the details....
Here you can see a dry fit of the raised sole to the left of the frame, and the jig I used to get a shape on the extra frame that will form the front hatch compartment.
The area directly under the bow will be a semi-open anchor locker.
The framing for the sole in the centre section of the boat.
Those who know the GV13 may have noticed I have altered the all of the frames so they finish a seat level instead of continuing up to the gunnels.
There are a couple of reasons I have done this...
The seating and gunnel arrangement I had in mind would more than compensate for the loss of stucture they provide. (see posts to come)
It made the nesting and marking out of the frames much easier and allowed me to use the relative offcuts from the frames as the supports for the sole...already cut to size and a perfect fit! And I used no more ply than the BOM states.
Personally I find the look of the framing as per the design... a little....odd. (Sorry Evan :( ) I guess I prefer a cleaner line.
A dry fit of the motorwell sides. The compartments will be foamed for positive floatation (as will under the sole)
The transom has been cut for a short shaft motor..a suzuki 15hp, tiller steer.
More on the front hatch....
Last edited by alexit on Mon May 07, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexit »

Right.
One of my favourite tools on this job would have to be the die-grinder you see here. Great for getting in and cleaning all those little bits in hard to get corners. The best thing being it does not produce fine dust like a flap disk on a grinder or a belt sander. Also a must for the drainage holes, which I have drilled, if you look really close, down each side of the raised sole.
The sole has gone down and has been foamed. I did the foam by pouring it through holes drilled in sole then covering the hole with a bit of plastic sheet and a weight of some kind. I also had drilled small vent holes near the edge of each compartment to allow the foam to expand out into the void. It worked very well with little mess.
A start on the frames that will support the central seating area. I also tried a dry fit of the lower gunnels, which to my relief, bent round with only a little grunt. :o
The last dry fit of the seating to allow me sort the hatch which will become part of the back seat.
Last edited by alexit on Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexit »

A quick pic to show I put an extra 12mm to the top edge of the transom on either side of the motorwell.
It was not needed so to speak, it's just me wanting something substantial for the eye in this area.... if you no what I mean??
It also lets me bolt on handles from each side without to much worry.
Here is a pic of the area aft of the front hatch.
You can see that I have put in the sole at the same level as that of the centre section of the craft. The void under the sole has also been foamed.
Last edited by alexit on Mon May 07, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BilltheCat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BilltheCat »

Yellow card!!!!! Free Kick - You are cited for excessive neatness and making others (me) look bad. Keep posting pictures like that and you'll have me seeing a shrink.

Nice work - beautiful work - really looking forward to seeing the finished product

Dave
The secret is in the oooze!

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

I agree with Dave. Sling some goop around and make it look like a homemade boat! :^o

Beautiful work!

Dan

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

My only criticism is that with all of the room you have you should have built the CS25 rather than a 13 footer... but you're doing such a nice job I'll forgive you.

Thanks for the picts!

Jason